Video #2: Script

1. Intro:

[Dialogue]

Judith: My name is Judith Aidoo, Im on the board of venturers in the diaspora. This is Riel Miller who’s at Unesco.

Riel: right

Judith: Riel, tell them what you do for a living

Riel: I help people think about the future. That’s my Job.

2. Bridge: 

[Background images: quick cuts of different interviewees doing mic check, laughing (funny clips)…End with “ok Im ready now” or equivalent ]

[Text overlay]

How can we identify new ways to tackle old problems, such as poverty, ignorance, food insecurity and the destruction of ecosystems?

How can we better sense and understand change?

How can we increase the success of human efforts to create a better world by becoming more effective at using different ways of understanding the role and nature of the future?

On August 26-28, 45 senior leaders from philanthropy, development, science, design and policy gathered at a Futures Knowlab (#knwlb) in a small town in northern italy.

They came to the Futures Knowlab to learn and share experiences about using anticipatory systems to contribute towards improved societal well-being. So we asked them a few questions…

3.  Interviews:

(mix of short one line answers and longer snippets of people speaking)

Q1. What do you mean by using the future?

Q2. How can people in difficult situations use the future?

Q3. Your insights/conclusions from these two days?

4. Ending:

[Dialogue]

Judith and Riel:

“Emerging voices. People who are doing things in new and unique ways.We want you to know that there is a group of people looking at using the future, re-imagining it. Creating something to help us address our emerging opportunities and challenges. We are here in solidarity with you to…So get ready, we’re coming to you. soon!”

5. Credits:

Futures knowlab was organised by:

Unesco

With the support of:

Rockefeller Foundation

And hosted by:

ISPRA European Commission

6. Thank yous:

[List: Name, organisation, reason you want to thank them]

video 2

Hey folks - basic script seems fine, structure good and the questions are fine.  However, what matters is the content. Do we have transcripts of the videos?  I’m much more interested in what people actually say - the message matters (and I know what McLuhan would say).

Thanks

When do you think we can get all the transcripts?

I need to know so we move the delivery deadline forward by that amount of time.

Every transcription will try to come with its own interview, so they all should come by the end of this week, so we can use the next one to work on and define the script.

1 Like

The detailed content version 1

@rielm and @dandimarte I posted them for you here.

Please have a look and post your comments on that page so we have the feedback about the detailed contents of video #2 in one place.

Thanks!/Nadia

Ok, sounds good! I’m gonna lay them down with Valerio, have you noticed that the approximate speech lenght is about 15 minutes? Should we think about making some cuts here and there also to make the speech more fluyd?

ciao

daniele

Yes I think so. Another round in text or video?

@dandimarte I think you are right it’s too long. What do you think, should I do another round on editing the script using the transcript, maybe cutting it down more. Or do you prefer to just go ahead and edit together something? My advice would be the first till we get a short enough script.

@rielm is there any content from the snippets I proposed that you feel we could just cut out without losing anything? https://edgeryders.eu/knowlab/video-2-script-content-with-transcripts

yes please, make the cuts you like, at the same time, we will propose our cuts while we listen to how does it sounds

We laid down the interview parts according to your script, it makes sense but we have 3 considerations: 1) some of the speeches are definitely too long, we made some cuts, I will highlight them in the script. 2) Then According to your script  no one even mention that we are at the knowledge laboratory! unless we mention it there could not be relation between the speech and the images of the laboratory, so we are already working to make an introduction using Riel explanation of the laboratory as a voice over, then we will follow your script and again we will use riel voiceover to join the groups of interviews. (e.g. riel voiceover:  “So in a Knowledge Laboratory, that is aimed in developing people future litteracy as a learning process, learning by doing, we engage people to think about their future, something they care about. So in Sierra Leone we talked about the future of young people, in Brasil we talked about the future of innovation, in Norway we talked about the future of small innovator enterprises. In each place, with each group you talked about something that they cared about, their future something they think is important” and here we can join the group interviews of examples: Judith in Africa, Jessica in London, John in Burma) 3) We would definitely add Mr. Alioune Sall definition of the future, that man face simply rock the screen! :slight_smile:

Go for it

My work is just to support you so please treat  the script I laid out just a rough guide and do what you think works best. Share it with us when you have the first thing we can look at?

make it clear

Just to make it clear, the video with Judith and Riel was asked to us by Judith to make a call to action for a conference her Company was holding in Accra the next day. as for the pictures, we agreed on making this small gift to her! and that’s it. this video has nothing related to the event and we are not gonna use it for any purpose.

Disagree

Ciao Daniele,

I watched that video and found snippets in it (can put up the timecodes if you need) that I think work very well as a beginning and end of the video if edited well and if Judith agrees to us using them (she is the one who sent it to me).

11/9: Proposed narrative from Jennifer

Jennifer commented here yesterday: “we just spoke with Irianna and Riel on a potential narrative for the second video “Using the future requires futures literacy”, answering the questions 1- what is using the future? 2 - what is futures literacy?”

Proposals for Section 3.0 of video

Jessica Bland: “To use the future is to use a time in a place that doesn’t exist yet. And that allows you freedom to talk about things in a different way that you can do if you are talking about in the present.”

Alioune Sall: "From my experience working in African countries and thinking that they are all in difficult situation “using the future” means trying to understand… trying to answer a number of questions regarding Africa. One of the questions that we have to answer is “Where does Africa tends today?” and “Where does it come from?” then another question we need to ask ourself is “Where may Africa go?” knowing that there is not only one possible future. There are many possible futures so we have to explore what are the possible future what are the possible trajectories. And another question that we have to ask ourself once we know  what are the possible futures we need to ask ourself which is the one we want to claim and how do we go about claiming the future that we want. "

Nathalie Phaholyothin: “To me using the future is getting out of a mainframe and being able to anticipate better one of the challenges that are coming your way. So it’s a way of how do you better prepare for the future. It’s about also being more flexible and how you react to unexpected changes within a framework that is still tangible and grounded.”

Riel Miller: “[add here]”

Feedback on objectives of this video (via email from Riel, 16/9)

Objectives that this video should contribute to:

1. Transform the futures literacy/discipline of anticipation/knowlab messages into a journalistic form for use in specific communication channels

2. Explain why all of this lingo presented during Futures Knowlab actually meant something and was about things that could be really useful to a lot of people.