Weekly Update: Please update this list of content to promote for the coming week

I did the same, but sticking mostly to English content.

@Wolha @Jirka_Kocian this wiki is editable by all of us - we put the headlines from the different Edgeryders projects so that they get picked up by Laura who’s writing newsletters. You can see that we always put the latest on top - see the dates.

In the coming weeks whenever you write weekly summaries perhaps you can have a paragraph in English too (In the same post in Wellbeing PL/CZ, or separately - in Wellbeing International ? Then we can add it here.

1 Like

Hey @nadia are there any updates for an overview for this week?

2 Likes

Yes Laura, sorry for curtness - adding them now in the list above!

2 Likes

No worries, thanks

1 Like

ping @hires - above is where you could add your headlines with perhaps 1 sentence summary in DE and or EN…

1 Like

We had our AMA session with Dutch attorney Anton Ekker.

Here is one exchange from it:

alberto:

That depends on what we mean by “a good prediction”, @antonekker. If we are happy with being “good” (outperforming randomness) at the aggregate level, we might need very little data. For example, in predicting the outcome of football matches, the simplest model “the home team always wins” does (a little) better than random. Hal Varian (Google’s chief economist) a few years ago went on record saying “if you have 99% correlation, who cares about causation”, or something like that. But this extra performance only applies to predicting a whole lot of football matches (the population), while being useless if you are trying to predict one match in particular.

I think @katejsim worries that prejudices outperform randomness. If you don’t care about fairness and the rights of the individual , you could indeed predict that the poorer neighbors would have more social welfare fraud than rich ones. But this would come at the expense of treating poorer individuals fairly, and, unlike with football matches, it would end up reinforcing the conditions that force those people to apply for welfare in the first place.

antonekker:

Interesting point.

Taking the possible consequences for citizens in account, the predictions should actually be much better than just ‘good’. If 2% procent of the outcomes are wrong, this is already effecting a large number of people.

This raises the question if decisions by government about fraud can ever be left to algorithms alone. Maybe, human interference should be mandatory.

Hello dear outreach team. I just wanted to ask if you could leave a comment here from time to time just something like: “we read your updates, they are going out now” or feedback if a description was usefull or not for your posts, so we can get better at catering to each other here and so it does feel less like a void in which we update :). Not like reports or anything that take time, just a “we are here and the description currently are good or need more details etc…”)
:slight_smile:

reading and posting :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hei all,

So we discussed with @hires about the possibility of posting the German updates through facebook ads targeted at Germans. This is an approach in progress.

As a page manager, he also now discovered that we could set a normal post by our facebook page to appear only to the German audience - he is going to try that and report back on how it goes! Thanks for the find D.!

2 Likes

Wonderful, thank you @noemi!

I will be coordinating with @Richard about first prototypes of facebook ads to use and I can add insights on the results of the first campaigns here.

I just posted the first one, and scheduled the next 3 over the next two weeks - always with the audience restricted to German speaking. I can’t actually see the posts myself until I change the facebook display language to German, but this is how it looks like (direct link):

So far, so good from my side. I guess the question is to @noemi and the rest of the team to see if this negatively affects the Edgeryders brand in any way, or whether this could also be a tactic for the other countries to use.

Happy Monday everyone!

2 Likes

im kind of iffy about this kind of incentive because the prize is not aligned with the topic or mission of the initiative. Also, Ipads as prizes is too luxury-commercial for my taste.

1 Like

I see your points, and I agree, it’s not an ideal situation.

We spent a lot of time exploring how to give people a cash prize incl loops with @marina and @noemi, but it seemed that this was virtually impossible between the different regulations of the university and the EU, and if people had to produce an invoice for the prize, it would probably mean that this is taxable income of the “winners”, which then would probably not allow us to legally talk about winners, on the other hand making a payment conditional on a “selection” might not be defensible as “work”.

Just as some extra context to this compromise we found. Happy to discuss further if you see this as a critical issue that needs to be addressed of course!

2 Likes

@stefanoboski here are the campaign materials that ought to be pushed out quite intensively over the next days over all the channels we have in the buffer incl my own linkedin

URGENT! 1/2 - Next Generation Practices for Remote Work and Distributed Organisation event, takes place nov 30**

• Promotion: People who register and answer a few questions before the event get a sneak peak of our new book Edgeryders Forms

• #anywhereorg

• Flyers:

2/2 - December 7th: WORLD BUILDING ACADEMY**

Press Release for worldbuilding academy event on December 7, 2020 : The Worldbuilding Academy: An open source laboratory which imagines the future of economics 1

Registration Form: Edgeryders Forms

Video trailer for the event: https://vimeo.com/481641392

Editorials/ Featured blog posts: blog

1 Like

Thanks Nadia; consider it done.

1 Like

Is it just me or do other also have the feeling that when they edit the main post here with the links for the outreach that it get slower and slower, pointing at discourse having to work rather hard with a very long post? (Or is this a probelme of my computer?) If yes, maybe we should think about “cleaning out” the list from tome to time and m oving the old links in an archive post after 2 month or so? (Would also make it easier in terms of scrolling up and down when editing)

hmm dunno? I didnt notice anything?

Seems to work ok for me. Try a reboot first to clean out the buffers?

this is the next major ngi4eu event which we need to start promoting from tomorrow. Help?
https://tell.edgeryders.eu/14917

1 Like

No problem, I’ll have posts on this going out from today.

From Maria: “Due to Eriks experince working with a tech company to include his research it might be extra interessting to people developing an application or online service/project. And also maybe for people thinking about if they should get their child a device for christmas or not”

1 Like