Image credit: Demetra Monaco
To coordinate efforts and find potential connection points as well as to organise interesting and meaningful webinars for the community the edgeryders team is checking in with many old and new community members bringing their projects, initiatives or problems to be solved.
Today I had a great call with @federico_monaco .
His previous project:
seemed very interesting and relevant now. Since he could not make it to the COVID response call this Monday, so we met up in a direct call to start some ideas.
@federico_monaco is currently working on 3 things:
- Working with his district to develop some collective intelligence approaches for crisis management and citizen engagement. The district becomes a problem solver. Like with the fab lab Barcelona. They used open tech to make citizens aware of their abilities to improve the district.
See the example here: https://pablocommons.github.io/pablocommons.github.io/english
You click on certain corners on the map and you get the information provided by citizens.
Are there other entities like that like the district that would be open to work like that. We are working a lot with immigrants.
- He looks for other districts in Europe that would like to construct a collective intelligence project.
- He looks for developers who could join the further development of the city map project. (ping @mstn?)
- Problem: can currently not continue to map the city using 360-degree image in tech due to curfew
- Look for potential connections with Plato (ping @hugi). (https://pablocommons.github.io/pablocommons.github.io/english
- Working for education. The schools are not used to learning or teaching via distance. We are trying to provide help with homework and events for families. He has done a project with Virtual Reality mapping of schools as well as teaching children between 5 and 10 to use VR for fun and to communicate ideas.
- Webinar on virtual classrooms: https://scuolavirtuale.github.io/
Could do webinar/1week course for parents, children (5-10) and educators to learn how to use VR and to make digital teaching more engaging. (more below)
- Working with the hospital: He has been trying to connect to doctors and nurses or even students are willing to collaborate with us to provide the best information and provide prevention.
Helping them to develop more effective communication strategies for children
Helping them engage communities
- More help to connect and find willing healthcare professionals as collaborators.
Would do/share into a webinar/ 1 week course to use VR and online teaching as creative space. (Using the Edgeryders platform as a forum for the course)
Everything that is related to helping with the crisis.
Notes on first ideas for Social Virtual reality Painting Course:
(See reference project on virtual classrooms: https://scuolavirtuale.github.io/
Interesting point: Let’s think about virtual classrooms in general! )
The goal of the course is:
- To make virtual reality accessible to children,
- To give children a creative outlet in times of quarantine and curfew
- To use technology to empower creativity to give them means to articulates their wishes for development to test
- To conduct online teaching in a more holistic way combining digital, analogue, asynchronous and synchronous work
The first draft outline:
Workshop for children to learn how to draw environments for VR by hand:
- 1-week course for 4-5 families:
- Start first day with pre-recorded introduction video
- Provide link to resources
- Provide MOOC/Manual on Edgeryders (authored by @______) for looking up stepps and discussing questions with expert available to answer
- Finish on last day with video call with slot for presentation for each child’s project (preferably not on zoom)
- Encouraging families to upload and talk about children’s drawing (no images of the children, just the drawings!)
- Encouraging to make the room created connected to the topic of the quarantine. LIKE: “Draw you perfect room during this Quaratain time when you can not go out”
- Engage in discussion with families on how to use tech socially and creatively.
First, run in the first week of May. if it works well we can reiterate + make resources available via the manual for teachers to do it with their students!
@federico_monaco is currently working on a first draft proposal for this and will if possible join the Monday COVID response call next week.