Wildcard: Take the lead

Surely, more hands on deck will help build the greatest Living on the Edge event in the series. There’s no way the small team at the core has everything figured out. What do you think is missing from how Lote is being organised and would you like to build it?

It can be on site facilitation, building new partnerships, more inspiring visuals, a journalistic endeavor, a new way to document the event. It can be organising a satellite event or a social evening in Brussels, it can be food related, or maybe you’re into programming and want to tweak parts of this website to make it more attractive to people joining. Something else?

Feel free to take these on and suggest in a comment what you are willing to help with. Let others know how much your work is worth (1/3 of a ticket? a whole ticket?) so we can send you the ticket after.

1 Like

I think you mean “wildcard” ?!?

2 Likes

Social Networking

Hello! Considering the Web as a communication medium, I wonder if it may be possible for Edgeryders to develop a further social networking presence around the LOTE conferences?

Personally, I would not want to seem to crosscut an unFail theme. Though I personally try to keep a positive if not constructvist view, I think that an uNfail theme may present a nice sense of gravity that success is not, per se, a product on a shelf. In a historic sense – briefly albeit – I think that unFail theme may remind of the sentiments expressed of the Dada movement, at around the time of the 1920s – as in reference to the work, Kleine Dada Soirée, also the documentary, Dada in Paris- Disaster at the Soiree du Coeur a Barbe, by Byron Caplan, and the original Dada Manifestos, such as published on the  contemporary Web via 391.

Noticing the Communication Team task for LOTE5, perhaps – if there may be further, sustainable efforts for developing a further social networking presence around LOTE5 – perhaps  my comment may be better directed to a node under that particular arc of the content graph?

Personally, I’ve begun to read up about some team-oriented web APIs such as the Slack API, also IFTT, and Trello. Furthermore, as in reference to content creation tools such as Evernote and Wordpress, I think there are opportunities for developing a manner of support for content creation, on mobile and web.  I would also wish to make reference to Diigo, with regards to web content curation – Diigo, as furthermore in reference to the W3C’s original Annotea proposal, cf. Kahan et al. 2001.  Both of Diigo and Evernote offer a web content highlighting feature in their respective extensions for the Chrome and Chromium browsers, on desktop platforms.  Diigo also offers a web highlighting feature in the Diigo extension for Mozilla Firefox on desktop. Diigo’s highlighter offers four distinct highlighter hues, as well as a “Sticky notes” feature. Both Diigo and Evernote can be applied for annotatinig PDF documents. Evernote, furthermore, can be applied in capturing audio and video.

Of course, I’d noticed the application of the Mozilla Persona API here at the Edgeryders web – certainly, of a kind of “Web ID” concept.

I think, it may be possible to develop a sort of a web framework – such that might be characterized, perhaps, as a sort of “Refactored Groupware” in a sense, if not as a manner of Groupware without an Enterprise Silo motif, moreover  – such that may be developed in an application of these web APIs. I would wish to propose that “such a framework” could be developed onto a Apache Cordova platform, such as for distribution across desktop and mobile platforms.

Personally, I would like to believe that such a framework could be developed as to support not only the community but perhaps also to support the work of formal, normative humanitarian relief organizations such as the CDAC Network (previously Infosaid) and also the Start Network. Of course, I am not a representative of these respective institutions. I simply think that their work falls nice under the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Agenda 2030. I would not wish to propose anything “Too monolithic,” though. Of course, there are not only the crisis situations, in the world, such that the humanitarian relief institutions are endeavoring to address and address sustainably and well. Perhaps there is also a manner of life beyond crisis?

I’m not certain if Edgeryders has much made a topic of crisis situations in the world. I would not wish to cast a shadow on the creative doorstep.

In what sense?

Hello @sean.p.champ, welcome to Edgeryders! I don’t think we have come across each other so far. smiley

I don’t completely understand your proposal. We use the social web as a way to distribute content that lives on edgeryders.eu or elsewhere, and through the distribution of that content we attempt to create social relationship with people we do not know yet, but that we might come together with around that content. The social web is, well, social: so each person shares with her social network the link to our favourite content (in this case, LOTE5 stuff) through her social medium of choice: some people use Twitter, or Facebook, or Instagram or what have you.

So that’s our baseline. What do you propose to do?

Hello! I consider that I’ve been trying to develop a concept of a component-oriented view of computing systems, focusing more on technical qualities than social. I understand that the Web is utilized for communications across a broad range of interests. I would not wish to oversimplify or to politicize the essential nature of the media. Personally, I’m very much concerned to avoid any sort of “Silo-oriented design.” I consider that the wonders of the Anthropocene have not been all too happily wondrous, and I believe that there is a sense of a linear determinism that may seem to color much of the designs of the same. Not as if to dispense with every sense of design science,  however, I simply think it is good to avoid “Pigeon holes,” especially in a volatile world.

Personally, I would not want to become too attached to any single manner of a technical thesis concept. If I’ve begun to develop a manner of a component-oriented view about computing systems, it is not without that view deriving – of course – from some existing component architectures. I’m afraid I  may not be able to produce any too succinct summary of this view.

For a short number of months, I’ve been studying the architecture of the FreeBSD operating system, specifically, and some of the characteristics of the Android operating system. With regards to Google’s principal management of the Android Open Source Project (AOSP), I understand that they’ve published a wide range of source code repositories, and that Google themselves must certainly interact with a number of commercial Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) offices, such as namely of companies that are developing mobile computing platforms applying the Android operating system. Of course, Android applies a Linux kernel, along with the respective Dalvik or ART Virtual Machines, then any number of Google service components and OEM service components in any single OEM Android platform.

Alternate to the AOSP Android Distribution, there’s also CyanogenMod – functionally, a fork of the AOSP codebase. CyanogenMod can be installed to Android devices, albeit such that might serve to void OEM warranties. Theoretically, a custom platform could be developed with either the AOSP baseline or CyanogenMod.

Additionally, there’s the Tizen platform, also developing a principally mobile operating system on a Linux kernel. Tizen is managed primarily by Samsung, but there is a broad and – I think – well organized contributor model for Tizen.

Candidly, I would not want to seem as if it was any manner of a proposal for a “Gilded Carrot.” Simply, the Android, CyanogenMod, and Tizen operating systems can each be applied to develop something of a custom mobile platform – ostensibly, not only for commercial applications. I’m not certain if it may seem too daunting to formal humanitarian aid institutions. Theoretically, a mobile operating system can be developed specifically for support of humanitarian relief work.

That, I believe, is to  my own sense principal interest. Furthermore, I hope that the Tizen project may consider that a FreeBSD kernel may be applied alternate to a Linux kernel, and a mobile operating system developed – alternately – from a FreeBSD ports model. However, Linux has been more widely applied in mobile computing platforms. There are specific kernel drivers available with Linux, such that have not – as yet – been ported to FreeBSD, and such that may be particularly useful for mobile computing, such as in regards to NAND type file storage.

Of course, I am not of a want to get that mixed up with any specifically commercial development, on Web media or otherwise.

I understand that Edgeryders may be focused more principally about Creative Maker support, in a sense, alternate to any focus as specifically about support of humanitarian relief services. Personally, having read the text of the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) Agenda 2030, and being aware of some of the ongoing crises abroad to the US, I believe I am more personally concerned about humanitarian relief support than – per se – creative marketing. I would not wish to suggest as if – in a manner of practical domains – as if those respective domains were altogether exclusive to, in each, the other. I think that there may be something of a serious nature to humanitarian relief support, overall.

Alternate to a concept of developing a mobile humanitarian relief support software, I’m afraid that  my geographical position in the West US would effectively limit my immediate personal interactions with Edgeryders in the EU. Personally, I am not uncomfortable with a “Socially orbital” role. I would not wish to seem excessively critical of the Enterprise climate in the US, but I believe we have been doing too much of “Thinking in Silos.”

If personally I may be able any manner of formal or informal web support, I’ve begun developing a small logical  model about the FreeBSD operating system, titling it AxonP – focusing specifically about systems administration with the FreeBSD ports architecture, but not ignoring contexts of normal “Business day” activities and technical “Help Desk” support activities, in broad. I’ve managed to put together an albeit none too detailed logical model, in a BPM format: An AxonP Process Model, draft nr. 1, edited in the Cubetto BPMN model editor  on an Android tablet.

If there may be a forum specifically about Android support, here at Edgeryders, personally I would be happy to offer advice with regards to specific apps on Android. Candidly, in a manner of a commercial perspective, I don’t believe it’s easy to monetize Android support, but I’ve heard of microdonation systems such as with ChangeTip moreover. Of course, regardless of any manner of a simple novelty of the Android platform, the Web media may be utilized also from a desktop architecture.

Considering the prevailing concerns of humanitarian crises and the will to express creatively, I hope that no commercial consideration would cast any manner of a tall shadow on my interactions here at Edgeryders.

Personally, I think it is helpful to aspire to a demanding project, in life, but not as if to narrow one’s views into a pigeon hole.