A brief blurb of why I'm here (though it's not for any particular event)

Hi all! I don’t remember now how I came across this place on the internet. I live quite far from most of the events publicised here so this is just a general write-up about myself, using a structure I saw other’s used for their Festival My Story’s.

What I’m generally interested in:

Technology and design for climate stuff

Where I’m based:

Scotland’s central belt (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Stirling etc)

Work, hobbies, family life, leisure, pleasure… Which activities from your present life would you like to keep doing? Which things would you like to never do again? Which would you want to start doing/do more of?

Keep doing: I’d like to stay active, keep up the upwards climb of improving my bouldering skills, and continue the exploration of Glasgow’s live music scene.

Stop doing: Mindlessly letting my time get sucked away by quick dopamine fixes of the online world.

Start doing: work with a team of like-minded people on a project I find important and impactful. Let myself spend time on creative endeavours, regardless of how imperfect the results of that are.

What is an a question or desire that drives you or your work? How did you get started and what hurdles have you met along the way? Which doubts do you have about the work you are doing and the path forward? What kind of support would you like to offer others traveling a similar path?

By sharing your story below you enable others to connect you with people, conversations, opportunities relevant to your personal and professional development:

Generally I’m driven by two things: the pursuit of sustainability, and enabling of empowered and socially fulfilled communities. Essentially anything which might lead to me eventually being able to move to a big house, full of makers and creatives half-working on exciting projects and half-homesteading, without having to be filled with dread about the future of climate (because we got things under control) and the well-being of other people on the planet (because humanitarian issues are on a positive trajectory). I know, we are not there yet, not even kinda-there, but working towards it is something I want to do.

I’m an embedded software person with a pretty general, high-level systemic view of things. But also, I’m quite early in my career which means it’s not clear to me how to apply my professional work to solving the projects I find important. Especially that (a) the vast majority of the work in the sector is building absolutely unnecessary crap, (b) any time I find something meaningful in the sector it seems it requires me to relocate, which feels difficult for someone who has not lived anywhere for more than 2 years in the last 10 years, but craves a consistent community of people around him.

What I am hoping to get out of this?

Mostly I guess the ability to brainstorm how other like minded people tackle building of resilient communities, and maybe use it to create one local to me.

name: Kuba

3 Likes