A call for a single #opendata licence in the #EU

We might pursue this

Some people in Edgeryders are into OD  - this might be an area for further exploration. At #LOTE2 you might meet some of them: Rysiek, from the Polish hacker scene and the anti-ACTA movement and Matthias, from the German open source-free software, for example (look them up on Edgeryders - really interesting people). Even if it does not work out for ER, the interoperability of licenses problem is clearly important, and I think it has potential for being civil society-driven

We have Napo

Well, Alberto, I guess Napo just give us a great picture of the OD license issue on the SOD ML, so, since he loves the public domain, I could “steal” the contents he openly provided in that mail as a basis to start a research and accomplished my first mission over here, drafting a brief about this issue :wink:

PS I have to say I really am glad to have joined SOD, have met you an to learn so much from the communities :slight_smile: have a nice weekend

Good discussion

Alberto / Francesco.

This is a good discussion :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s better a universal license than the “only” a European license.

But, the reality is, at this moment, there aren’t a harmonized license in national levels.

It’s very difficult to achieve this.

So, I think an universal license would be extremely difficult.

Regards.

MarcG

Good discussion

Alberto / Francesco.

This is a good discussion :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s better a universal license than the “only” a European license.

But, the reality is, at this moment, there aren’t a harmonized license in national levels.

It’s very difficult to achieve this.

So, I think an universal license would be extremely difficult.

Regards.

MarcG

Misunderstanding

MarcG, I should have been more clear: international licenses already exist. For example, the Open Data Commons (Licenses — Open Data Commons: legal tools for open data), which are used for Open Street Map. What I was talking about is a legal framework about this topic, a european legal harmonization that could ease the enforcement of a unique open gov data license (there was an attempt in sw field with the EUPL European Union Public Licence - Wikipedia): a provision for all national administrations and all administrations into ePSI to use one type of license as a duty. Than this rule could be harmonized in the international field by treaties or at least we can start talking about it.

Yes, we nned to harmonize

Yes Francesco,

There are universal licenses, I know it.

The really important step is to harmonize the use conditions of the OpenData services.

In order to explain that, we started this initiative, we think the OpenData’s future is the harmonization process (first at national level, then European and finally at World level).

Regards.