A hackerspace (Fablab) in Ourghema

Hello Edgeryders people!

It is been a while since I have written something, but as usual this platform comes to my mind when I think of making something new :slight_smile:

The first year of ourghema was challenging, and still so as well but things are getting better even in terms of numbers, we have had more than 30 events in our first year, reaching more than 1000 person, we have an aveareg of 20 persons coming per day and guess what? more than 70% from our community are WOMEN :smiley: also when launching ourghema I took a loan from the bank and I am happy to say that despite all the difficulties next month I will finsh the first year (from ten years) payback of the loan :smiley:
As I believe that ourghema and the space is a process, and that changing how things are going takes years, I decided I am not stoping on just being a cultural and a coworking café, but I am also launching a Fablab in 2020, the very first one in Medenine as well, and this is supported by an association called Ibtakiroo that supported me since the very early stages of the space.

I wanted to share this here and see if you had any ideas that can support the hackerspace? know someone who runs a Fablab? had any experience in one before?

Thank you all!

Ping @noemi @matthias @alberto @hugi @nadia

5 Likes

hey! super happy to hear this Yosser, Mabrouk. I did a search for “fablab” in edgeryders and this is what came up: Search results for 'fablab' - Edgeryders

Have a look and see if anything is useful to you?

Also maybe we can send out an enquiry @anon82932460? If yes it is good if you can add two paragraphs about the space and the story behind it with some photos @Yosser ?

2 Likes

We do indeed. @zelf just got involved with Edgeryders in the NGI project.

And @zelf - check it out! A fab lab in Tunisia with the excellent Yosser.

3 Likes

This is really impressive!

This too. So happy for you!

1 Like

Yosser,
Brooks is visiting me in Barcelona, and we were just talking about you and wondering what you were up to.
Happy to hear of your success and plans for the future!
Liam

2 Likes

You go girl!!
We are hoping to visit valldaura.net near Barcelona soon, courtesy of @william_coact who has just joined edgeryders. Check it out, and see if you see some opportunities. Happy to help out and maybe report back for you
 If we end up visiting which I really hope we will!

1 Like

Yosser is back here, with bright new ideas as always :blush:

Just looked at the Ibtakiroo association, and it really seems made for exactly what you want in OurGhema:

“The association works in particular [
] associating a shared work place “CoWorking” and a fabrication laboratory “FabLab” in a unique place.” (from here)

Now they seem to be associated with the “official” FabLab movement (they link to fabfoundation.org and fablabfestival.fr). And I think that’s the first strategic decision you’ll have to make: do you aim for being an official, recognized FabLab or a free makerspace / hackerspace? As far as I know, an official FabLab needs a certain set of machines etc. . To me, that label would not be worth the effort. Also it could be argued that FabLabs are a particular perspective on “making stuff”, namely academic and focused on highly industrialized countries. And that you’ll have to find your own perspective here, esp. given that hackerspaces in rural Tunisia are so rare.

For inspiration and exchange, here are some random pointers:

• I know that @islem has a very similar idea for Kebili, also wanting to combine co-working with a hackerspace, to form an innovation lab and business incubator for the local economy. We discussed several possible variants when we met in Morocco last year. It seems you two should meet and talk :wink:

• Communitere is a network of four independent hackerspaces focused on appropriate technology and low-infrastructure locations. At least their space in Nepal combines the hackerspace with a co-working space. I know one person there and could try to connect you if you think it can help you with your planning.

• Since you have so many women coming to your space, there are many women who could come to your hackerspace as well. Assuming that Tunisia is no different than the rest of the world then on average women will be a bit reluctant to enter this environment (“full of tools and guys who claim to be better than the next guy using the same tool”). In Nepal, one woman made good experiences with a ladies-only program in a local hackerspace there. You can read about it and about all the different events they organized on makerkt.com (“maker keti” = maker girl in Nepali).

• The Repair Cafe network is another inspiration for what a hackerspace can be good for, and one that is very useful for the “more average” person who does not come with a pet project or invention to work on in the hackerspace. There are 1900 repair cafes worldwide and 0 in Tunisia, yet.

• A hackerspace can be started on very little money or very much money or anything in between. If you want to start with very little, you can bootstrap: start with some collected old hand tools and with their help, make better tools, repair broken tools that you get for free or cheap, harvest parts from all kinds of broken devices and household appliances, and in any other way make it a better hackerspace. In my experience, all tools have value (even the rusty old semi-broken ones 
 because such tools are ok to “sacrifice” / adapt for the odd job that calls for a tool that does not exist anywhere). Building your own tools can be continued quite far, including building your own 3D printers from parts. Have a look at reprap.org for that purpose.

• Is there any 3D printer in Medenine already? If not, you may want to get one directly at the start of opening the hackerspace. It’s a fascinating machine and practically useful, also to earn money. There are some good and very moderately priced (~250 EUR) Chinese clones of the original Prusa i3 3D printer (which is, I think, is currently the best open source 3D printer on the market, and a result of the RepRap project I linked to above). Forgot the manufacturer name, but I can find it again 

1 Like

Thank you dearest Nadia and Iam still waiting foryour visit to the space <3

an enquiry about the fablab? and do you mean the space as a whole or only the fablab?

1 Like

Thaaank you Alberto, for supporting me all the way! and I also started on working the asscociation legal structure that we talked about last year :smiley:

Awww <3 I truly hope to see you both again soon! I hope that maybe you will visit the fablab in the future dearest Liam :slight_smile:

the space as a whole and how the fablab plays into it

1 Like

Thaank you Noemi! <3 I will check it! and I would really appreciate if you share with me the potential opportunities you know <3 :smiley:

Aw <3 You know that I am still waiting for you to visit us again and see the space :smiley:

Yup I would loveto speak to them

As I mentioned that Ibtakiroo is supporting this Fablab, they donated to the space a 3D printer and robotic tools (which I have no idea how they work :sweat_smile: do you know any open source documents that can help learn about how to work with them?

Ok, I just sent you and Bahar from Nepal Communitere an e-mail with an introduction. I’m sure you can get valuable tips from them.

So you have the 3D printer and robotics stuff already, that’s amazing!

Here are some free documents and resources for getting started with 3D printing. I even found free e-books!

• Mastering 3D Printing. A free 207-page book about the filament based type of 3D printer that you probably have.

• 3D Printing: Build Your Own 3D Printer and Print Your Own 3D Objects. Another free e-book about 3D printing with more than 200 pages. Ignore the part about building the printer – the parts about 3D modeling are relevant and nice though, as they are really made as an introduction starting from the basics.

• Tinkercad. In the book just above, this is the 3D modeling tool they recommend for beginners. It is indeed an easy to use tool – and can be used right in the browser, at no cost. (Unfortunately it is not open source software, but that difference is not much of a topic in Tunisia anyway so far, as per my experience.)

• How to design for 3D printing. A short 20-page e-book for what to take care of when drawing the 3D shapes to be printed on a filament based 3D printer (that’s the type you’ll have, in all probability). (You’ll have to fill a short survey before they send you the book, but I think it’s worth it. It’s hard to find all these tips in one place elsewhere.)

• Thingiverse. This is by far the largest collection of free 3D printable designs online. In the beginning, printing stuff from there will be the simplest useful thing to do with your 3D printer, until you learn how to make your own designs.

Around 4000 designs on Thingiverse can be customized online by entering parameters, such as the desired size. No 3D CAD needed to print these in a customized version! You find most of these things with this and this search. (One of these customizable things is designed by me :slight_smile: )

• 3D Printing Stack Exchange. A Q&A site where you can find the solution to most 3D printing problems, and can ask a question otherwise.

For the robotics tools, let me know what exactly you have (manufacturer and model numbers) and I can add links about these, too.

2 Likes

ping @shravan don’t know if you have seen this development that Yosser is working on in Tunisia. might be of interest to you.

You are the best! these books would help me understand more how the printer works as I have no idea how to deal with it !

I will certainly check and share with you what are they, but again, thank you so much Matthias!

1 Like