Accessibility: elevators

Hello @reeflings,

Long story short: in the feasibility study no elevators were foreseen in the middle and back building (Asterix and Idefix), which is at odds with the inclusion principles in the Bluerprint (including Universal Design). Some people were aware of this, while others weren’t. The extra cost of adding elevators would be 2 x 70.000 euro.

Below you can find a link to the proposal for tomorrow’s plenary. In sum the proposal is to ask the architects to include elevators in all buildings, and then to see whether we can find a solution to deal with the extra costs. If no solution can be found, then the next plan could be to only have an elevator in Asterix and Obelix, and in the last resort, to only have on in Obelix.

The proposal also includes several more alternative options, with a short assessment of their cost, effectiveness and feasibility.

The proposal is saved in the 2024 proposals folder in the Team Reef folder: Login – Nextcloud

All comments and feedback are welcome.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for all the work that has been done for the common spaces :boom:
Unfortunately I could not be present during the discussion regarding the elevators at the last plenary, so please bear with my concerns/questions:
Besides the cost of the elevators itself, I thought they also make that the price per sqm increases because they make us lose surface and we could build one apartment less? So what would be the price per sqm that we need to apply in case of 2 elevators? I filled in my program based on the current price fork but that would change then…
I am concerned that the strategy of asking everything now and changing it later, might delay the process again because if it would turn out that we cannot afford these extras (that is a real concern/fear from my side), the architects need to start all over again?
Thanks again.

1 Like

If and only if we would decide to increase the price per m2 for the loss of m2 because of the elevators, this would mean an increase of the price per m2 to 4410 euro/m2. (So this doesn’t imply covering the cost of the elevators themselves)
But i don’t think you need to assume that that is going to be the case. I think the idea is to have other ways to gain ‘money’: an increase in the m2 of logements,…

In the proposal, it was indicated that when the extra elevator(s) cannot be afforded, we will not ask the architects to start all over again but the increase the surrounding units with extra m2 , which would come down to more or less 8 m2 per floor (as both idefix and asterix have 3 levels)
For the other extra’s, that wasn’t discussed (yet)

1 Like

But that means that if you are in a building that you would suddenly have to make your apartment bigger even though you didnt plan for that so that is an increase of the price of your apartment anyway?

@mieke the first sketch is expected in September, while the choice of the units is only planned for December. Would you be up for talking about this over a coffee? Edgeryders is not always the best medium for this kind of issues.

Hi @Lee , sure we can have a coffee.