AMA Planning Thread

I also think we should schedule an AMA with Fairwork. Labour and the platform/gig economy is huge in the NGI space, and I’d bet at least Srujana and Fabian would be willing to do it.

1 Like

@amelia - just a quick note to tell you that if you’ll be organising an event that fits POPREBEL, myself, @Jirka_Kocian and @Wolha are going to help with community management and moderation,

Let me know when the time comes - so we don’t overlap with our planned events?
xx

1 Like

woot woot! Anton’s good to go! Will update once I get logistics sorted.

3 Likes

Love the attitude :heart:

2 Likes

Yes I love that line too.

2 Likes

Anton’s just confirmed: November 11th at 6.30pm CET !!!

3 Likes

Studying up to be able to ask good questions:
Link to his website, and specifically to that welfare fraud case. And this is a link to a public’s Guide to Article 8, which they ruled had been violated.
His other recent case is suing Uber on behalf of four drivers for using algorithm to dismiss them.

2 Likes

John, you absolute legend! Thanks for sharing these! I am sorting out final details with Anton, will share his blurb here before the end of the week.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Future AMA Suggestions

Waiting for final confirmation from Anton, but draft for now:

Title: Hi, I’m Anton Ekker and I won the first case in the EU against government use of an algorithmic decision-making system. AMA!

In 2014, the Dutch government introduced a legislation approving the use of a risk scoring algorithm to detect welfare fraud. This system, called System Risk Indication (SyRI), pools together data from various government agencies to calculate the likelihood of committing welfare or tax fraud. The UN Special Rapporteur on Extreme Poverty and Human Rights has described governments’ use of similar systems as “digital welfare states” and condemned them for their lack of transparency and oversight, and discriminatory impacts. In the case of SyRI, we discovered that the system used neighbourhood data to profile against migrant and poor communities.

With a coalition of privacy organisations, we challenged SyRI on grounds of privacy and equality violations. Earlier this year, the Dutch court found SyRI to be unlawful and ordered its immediate halt. You can read more here and here.

This case sets a strong legal precedents for future cases. Unfortunately, the Dutch government recently introduced a new legislation with even more intrusive use of personal data for automated decision-making system–the fight continues!

Join me and others this Wednesday at 6:30pm CET to AMA about automated decision-making systems and their impacts on our human rights.

About AMA

What is an AMA and how does it work?
AMA, or Ask Me Anything, is an interviewing format popularised via Reddit. In short, you ask me questions, and I answer them live for an hour.

How does it work?
Anyone is welcome to post questions/comments below. On Wednesday, I’ll come back to this thread to start answering questions I find interesting. I will do my best to reply to as many questions as possible, but please note that not all questions/comments will be addressed.

Who can join?
Anyone! As the conversations get going during the hour, you will see multiple threads naturally emerging. There is an open invitation for everyone to contribute–please feel free to reach out to other community members, either on the thread or via DM, to continue the discussion!

2 Likes

Anton’s post is now up! Please share on Monday: Hi, I’m Anton Ekker and I won the first case in the EU against government use of an algorithmic decision-making system. AMA!

2 Likes

Looking ahead, jotting down a few more speakers, esp on issues that are underserved or overlooked by current threads:

2 Likes

Some quick thoughts on AMA following our first run:

• At the next @nextgenethno meeting, debrief on the scope of questions and answers. This was a good start, but we could certainly use more depth in responses. I wonder if this will be better addressed if the intro post reads more like a story??
  • More publicity from edgeryders social media account ahead, like this cute graphic. What channels of publicity do we have to engage partners?

hallo, here are the routines for how to get stuff promoted via Edgeryders channels and focused outreach efforts: Weekly Update: Please update this list of content to promote for the coming week

1 Like

key: we need explicit request with 4 weeks lead time, and information being put in that wiki plus brought up in Biweekly for it to be picked up

1 Like

Hello @johncoate @katejsim @Leonie the recap/relaunch post on the AM with Anton Ekker is up. I was now thinking of reaching out to him: “I have written a recap, with open questions… would you consider taking them as a wrapup?” Is that ok for you?

3 Likes

Sounds good!

we seem to use these two threads now for the same thing: Future AMA Suggestions and this one AMA Planning Thread - #23 by katejsim. where are we discussing the futture AMA’s?

ethno team’s been using this so please stick to this for any planning contributions

An addition to your list of suggested speakers:
Emmi Bevensee ( @emmibevensee):

“Emmi Bevensee, of Rebellious Data, SMAT, and the Centre for Analysis of the Radical Right, has finished the second of Rebellious Data new Research Insights series of deep dives into the critical topics of our time. This report looks at how hate movements are decentralizing using emerging technologies in ways that make them harder to combat. These technologies ask us critical questions about the future of society and the internet but also pose incredible potential to help us along our way. The infographic below sets the stage but the full report can be found here .”

1 Like