Anti-ACTA activists of the world, unite!

19 towns in Romania took the streets on Feb 11th, at -12 Celsius degrees, in a coordinated effort widely promoted through social media networks. According to the press, over 2000 people marched through the city centre in Cluj, which is a real crowd (anti-government protests only gathered couple hundred people!). Some sources say that the crowd in Cluj was even bigger than in the capital city Bucharest. I’ve seen mostly young people, but not only: from 12 year olds to pensioners, people had a common voice shouting: “ACTA you can bet/ Romania will strike back”, “We apologize, we feel under surveillance”, “I’m a dissident’s son/ I use torrents” “Ole, ole, ole, our volition is candid, Romania liberated” among others having very explicit words.

With the advent of Internet, many people have chosen to spend important amounts of their everyday lives in the virtual world for a variety of reasons. It was particularly interesting to see the people “living in the Internet” walk right beside you on the streets. Even though cyber activism has gained tremendous importance and impact (Wikileaks, Anonymous, Avaaz, Change.org, etc.), the traditional marches are still able to bring up the sense of common belonging and raise the people’s subjective power, in ways that virtual activism can’t.

Arguably, an important catalyzing factor for an impressive crowd at the protests around the country was a web design website creativemonkeyz.com based right here in Cluj-Napoca, Romania. Instead of posting one of their hugely popular animated comic mini-series, they released an informational and mobilizing video about the meaning and potential dangers of ACTA. Still, some teenagers were satisfied just by getting a Guy Fawkes mask, which were shared by the organizers on the spot, had little particular interest in the cause and left even before the march has started.

So, what’s in it for me? Every autumn I try to help my grandparents with the harvest. One of the biggest trademarks of Moldova is its delicious wine. It’s a tradition that every hardworking householder (“gospodar”) in the countryside has to make his own wine. I just love helping my grandfather in making wine. Usually every gospodar has his little secret ingredient, formula or method for making his wine especially tasty, with a unique aroma and flavor. Now, I if we were to take this example to the extreme, let’s imagine a possible scenario if ACTA would be ratified in Moldova or elsewhere. In the spirit of preserving the traditions and customs that span for generations, my grandfather would have to pass his secrets of winemaking to me informally. Therefore, if ACTA regulations were in place and somebody got a hold of a sample of my grandfather’s wine and patented the formula, my grandpa and I would be in serious trouble. If I understood correctly, first of all, it would be legally prohibited to use my grandparent’s recipe in making wine and even worse, we may risk serious fines or even imprisonment. It will also be illegal if I decided to commercialize my produce at the local market. In the end, when my grandfather passes away he’ll have no other choice but to take his winemaking knowledge to the grave along with him and therefore be lost and forgotten.

Another very sensitive subject to me is music. I think that 300+ GB of music that’s on my hard drive is a sufficient argument to describe my ‘addiction’ to music. The debate about the ownership, legal rights and sharing of art work has been around for ages. There are many outspoken artists when it comes to this subject. One quote that is particularly appealing to me belongs to none other than Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Probot, Them Crooked Vultures):

“I think it’s a good idea because it’s people trading music. It has nothing to do with industry or finance, it’s just people that want music and there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s the same as someone turning on the fuin’ radio, it’s the same as someone putting a cassette in the cassette deck, when the BBC plays a special radio session. I don’t think it’s a crime; it’s been going on for years. It’s the same as people making tapes for each other. The industry is more threatened by it because it’s the World Wide Web and it’s a broader scope of trading, but I don’t think it’s such a fuin’ horrible thing. The first thing we should do is get all the fu**in’ millionaires to shut their mouths and stop bitching about the 25 cents a time they’re losing”

So, this was my take on the anti-ACTA protest in Cluj. I’m sure that other Edgeryders have joined the wave of protests, so I’m curious what did other people have experienced in other towns around the world? Go ahead post your comments below and through this, we could all put together stories and try to build up a global collective statement.

I look forward to hearing from you!

P.S. If you’re as passionate and addicted as me to music you might find these videos particularly interesting and eye-opening. Hope you’ll enjoy as much as I did :wink:

http://vimeo.com/14912890

http://vimeo.com/19447662

http://vimeo.com/25380454

Thank you for sharing this

Hi,

thank you for getting this important topic off the ground in here, it’s one I care about. ALOT . I was at the anti #ACTA protest in Strasbourg. It was so touching, you’re right there is something about people braving the cold and marching together, a transcendent sense of community that I think is something I have been missing. You see I tend to stay away from political displays of any kind, to some extent because I am quite sceptical of mainstream politics. To some extent its because I have the engineering bias:  my kind of agitation is played out in trying to come up with alternatives that affect change simply because they are better. But even I am coming to the conclusion that avoiding “politics” is no longer a feasible alternative when we see attacks on our civil liberties pushed by vested interests that undermine our ability to even do that. The problem is that they are very motivated because they have a lot to lose, while the rest of us are only just beginning to realise what is at stake for us and hardly that.

The protest in Strasbourg had a strong turnout, but imho was not very creative or fun. Which with street protests, especially when it’s about topics thqat people know little about, is important. When done well they are a great channel for awareness raising and putting things on the radar of people from all walks of life. I would have liked to have seen a stronger presence of the arts community. I would have been up for getting involved in the organisation but I onluy recently moved here, and my french is iffy at best. Me I would like to see more coordination around initiatives like Steve Lamberts massive make capitalism work for me signs :slight_smile: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/slambert/make-capitalism-work-for-me

Or even helping to get the word out about awesome projects like the creativemonkeyz mobilisong video. Or Julian Oliver’s Transparency granade that is well…see for yourself : La grenade, arme de divulgation massive – Libération

I just set this intiative up to Map Edgeryders projects around the world (esp Europe)- it came out of conversation that John F More started here on Edgweryder, and it would be great if it were to take off : http://edgeryders.ppa.coe.int/page/edgeryders-worldwide

Thanks for sharing these documentaries with us!

I loved it when Radiohead self-released their album In Rainbows in 2007; it was available for download, allowing people to pay what they could in exchange. Of course, not every music band would afford to do that - they won millions in this move - but I see it as an example of innovative business models that may become available in time.

Byrne: Are you making money on the download of In Rainbows?

Yorke: In terms of digital income, we’ve made more money out of this record than out of all the other Radiohead albums put together, forever — in terms of anything on the Net. And that’s nuts. It’s partly due to the fact that EMI wasn’t giving us any money for digital sales. All the contracts signed in a certain era have none of that stuff.

very interesting

Thank you for posting  your experience. i think that we should build a stronger network of people involved in this protest against ACTA: an international day of demonstration, as it has been done, is a very good point of departure…but we could do more!

What was your experience with ACTA?

DId you take part in a protest? was it similar with what @TOOLosophy is describing on not so much? I joined these protests myself and I found that indeed street activism is different from anything you can write and talk about online. And I was oleasantly surprised to see we can keep them non-violent if there’s enough respect and coordination with local authorities, which is great!

I was surprised to see here that Italy wasn’t so strongly touched by these movements and I wonder why. SImilarly to this map but a more diverse one is what we are building here at Edgeryders. not sure if you checked it out yet: The Map of Edgeryders Worldwide http://edgeryders.ppa.coe.int/page/edgeryders-worldwide

Just now I’m using this thread to document experiences and place them on our map, so far we have these two present here (TOOLosophy’s and Nadia’s) but I’m hoping we’ll see more input such as yours. Thank you so much!

italy!

Well actually y experience with the anti-ACTA involvement can’t be considered an “italian” one. But to explain what I mean I need to tell a story: there is a group of people somehow related to the indignados movement who are doing a March from Nice to Athens. They are international (french, belgian, italian, spanish) and they are currently crossing Italy. I knew about this March because it has been proposed in Brussels in October and I am in contact with the “indignés” over there (I took part into the movement last May). Beside that my brother (who would be perfect for sharing experiences on this platform…but he is marching!!!) is part of the march…so I spent some weeks with them during the last month.

I took part to an interesting discussion on ACTA with this people in Napler (where they have been doing assemblies for one week) on Feb, 9, and they were preparing their participation to the international demonstration against ACTA the followins saturday.

But…yes, you are right: there is not such a big  italian involvement in this issue. I don’t know why, but honestly even if I used to belong to italian social movement for a long period during the last three years I have been travelling beacuse of my research!

What about the map? Could you explain me more, please?

cheers

Betta

Many interesting points:

1. You used to belong to Italian social movements? what movements? maybe this deserves your personal mission report on Taking the streets - http://edgeryders.ppa.coe.int/we-people/taking-streets

2. Your brother should definitely join Edgeryders! I firstly interviewed @TOOLosohpy for a report on Edgeryders, and so he was busy marching and didn’t think he could join, but you see here he is now, Edgeryders needed him  :slight_smile:

3. About the map, well we’re trying to build a map of Edgeryders Worldwide, showcasing all sorts of projects, interesting places, individuals, organizations across the world. We’re trying to look into how people can change the world we are living and how they can connect and share ideas…

We have so far 300 entries in <a href=“http://edgeryders.ppa.coe.int/page/edgeryders-worldwide”>this map</a> and we’ve launched a massive email call asking people to join in, send their project details and we’ll feature them on the map. I am forwarding you the email just now and of course I’d love for you to participate :slight_smile: More details in the email.

some replies to the “interesting point”

1. yes I usede to belong to italian movements. I am still part of a “centro sociale” (in english should be a squat, but “squat” doesn’t mean the same thing!)called Laboratorio Zeta in Palermo (involved in local community issues as well as immigrants), I am supposed to still be part of an Antimafia association called ADDIOPIZZO (but it’s not actually “movement”) and I am “orphan” of MY “beloved” NETWORK of association (Rete Lilliput) which closed (because of a common decision) in 2009.

But basically during the last three years I spent more time abroad (France, Belgium, USA) than in Italy…

(I know I should write my story…but I want to write something interesting and motivating and I am currently  pretty busy writing a research project on water and commons, hoping to find someone who pays me to do research and policies…)

1. The issue about my brother is that he doesn’t have an in ternet connection and when they stop and they use internet is mostly to update the blog about the march. Maybe after Athens (they still don’t know when they will arrive…I will join them, of course, and I will let you know about taking the streets and  the International Agora)

1. I will participate for sure to the map project…the only problem is that I don’t know where I am based (some times is Italy, some times is France-always looking for jobs-). I will read the email asap.