Are there any political ideologies other than conservatism?

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

While doing some internet rabbitholing, I came across this article making an argument that the only real poltical ideology is conservatism. It’s an interesting read but am struggling to see how much truth there is to this.

Anyone care to have a read and share your own reflections?

ping @Richard and @Jan

@nadia @Richard Oh, boy. This proposition is bit silly, as in a library of books written about ideology, one finds tons of various ideologies, distinguished on the basis of several criteria. But I need to read the piece. There is also a fascinating debate on what ideology is. So, for example, Paul Ricoeur writes about three grand types of theories: for Marx - ideology is distortion; for Weber - legitimation; for Geertz (for me and other the greatest anthropologist of the late 20th century) - integration (ideology is the most articulate and organized layer of culture). I am attaching the text I always give my students (just 2 pages), by Leszek Kolakowski (some people say, he was the smartest philosopher of the late 20th century). Kolakowski How to be.pdf (105.3 KB)

1 Like