Autonomous for Econ Sci Fi reading group #2 - let's choose a date!

(drum roll…) the time has come for the next Econ Sci Fi reading group

As per the fascinating conversations that have been unfolding on economic science fiction as inspiration for a different economic system - like this one that pulled the rabbit out of the hat, and this one on Walkaway’s economics - we’ve been compiling this wiki of various works and authors worth reading. The poll in this post sees Annabel Newitz’s Autonomous as next in line for us to dive into collectively in a reading group.

We had talked about September and it could still be an option but in the spirit of end-of-summer-chill, here’s a poll with a few scattered dates with 18:00 CEST to suit Europe and North American time zones (feel free to propose another time, just share why). If you’re interested in joining, please select the dates that would suit you!

• Monday 24 September, 18:00 CEST
    • Tuesday 25 September, 18:00 CEST
    • Wednesday 26 September, 18:00 CEST
    • Thursday 27 September, 18:00 CEST
    • Friday 28 September, 18:00 CEST
    • Monday 15 October, 18:00 CEST
    • Tuesday 16 October, 18:00 CEST
    • Wednesday 17 October, 18:00 CEST
    • Thursday 18 October, 18:00 CEST
    • Friday 19 October, 18:00 CEST
0 voters

Pinging those who’ve shown interest along the way @alberto @alex_levene @mrchrisadams @jolwalton @sz_duras @joelfinkle @Kaibeezy @LStewart @anonandon @OmaMorkie @Enro @ralmond @rachel @mariacoenen @ireinga @thom_stewart @owen @Caszimir

2 Likes

Anonymous? :grinning:

Haha!! Oh clearly Foucault’s ghost must be hanging around me today :wink:

Huzzah!

Thanks for putting this together folks - I’ve been meaning to read Autonomous for ages, and this gave me the push I needed :thumbsup:

If you’re buying the e-book, the difference in cost between on getting it on Kindle versus the other DRM-free options caught me by surprise.

It’s something like 2-3 times as expensive to buy the e-book DRM free compared to buying it from Amazon - I have no idea how much goes to the author in each case:

2 Likes

@mrchrisadams surely you don’t mean Autonomous is not DRM free on Amazon! Would be a bit of a turnoff, honestly. :smile:

Yeah, that’s the trade-off - you get it cheaper, but you’re checking in to the roach motel.

I’ve tried to buy my books DRM free where I can, and by and large I don’t by books on Kindle for that reason.

This was the first time however, I’ve seen such a difference in the pricing, as pretty much every other provider seems to make a note about the book being offered DRM free as a request from the publisher.

Actually this is the link the author uses on her own site, so I figure this would probably be better than the good reads one I added above:

Anyway, looking forward to the next reading group session!

2 Likes

Yay so good to see it happening again. I voted for days end of Sep, fingers xx.

And so the poll has spoken!

Tuesday 25 September, 18:00 for Autonomous reading group it is

You can join via zoom at this link and if in Brussels, you are welcome to join us in person likely to be The Reef: Rue Pierre Decoster 75 Forest 1190.

Feel free to share reflections while you’re reading in a post here and keep an eye out for reflections coming from our side too.

Looking forward!

1 Like