Backpacks for the Refugees-The Day After

German / EU crisis reaction budget

I’ve used this opportunity to dig into some of the recent German gov publications on such issues, and it turns out that .

“Die Kommunikation mit der Bevölkerung ist in Deutschland aktuell nicht Bestandteil von Notfallschutz-Übungen.In den zuständigen Behörden liegen in den meisten Fällen keine Krisenkommunikationskonzepte vor. Kommunika-tion über soziale Medien wird bisher nur unzureichend berücksichtigt.”

Communication with the population in Germany is currently not part of emergency response exercises. In the competent authorities, there are in most cases no crisis communication concepts. Communication on social media has so far only been inadequately addressed.” (this comes from the radiation guys who are somewhat important historically).

Also they see the need to coordinate better within the EU as quite simple events (big fire, toxic chemicals released) can overwhelm national stockpiles easily - especially if there were a series of such events. So if the event you plan could include this as a facet, then I think this could be potentially be budgeted. Also, here is a German centered (intl at bottom) list of emergency reaction organizations (mostly centered around “Civil Protection”) and some other relevant organizations. If your event allows for it, I could try and see if there are a few that would be interested in dialing in and listening to how your discussion is going. Perhaps they could also answer some questions that may come up.

Check out

Potential info or participation:

http://www.polsoz.fu-berlin.de/en/ethnologie/personenliste/voss/index.html  / https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Martin_Voss3

and

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwordpress.katastrophennetz.de%2F

I would expect they could also point out funding opportunities. Perhaps one could divert some anti-terror money to useful activities in resilience?

A simple way would be to coordinate with some of them: Masterstudiengänge – katastrophenenetz.de for a master thesis project.

He was in charge of “cross border support workshop”  (I’ll update if I find something English, this is Austrian-German), and works with the gov civil protection.

@Alex Levene when will you visit Greece? Let me know your plan so maybe I can help.

I have sent you an email.

I would suggest you remove your email address from the post above to protect your security

Ok!

Thank you!

“Citizens Guides” exist

Of course with some different focus groups and cases, but “The Citizen” does not exist. So what I’d think is crucial is the presentation format and delivery method.

For example after a catastrophy (or on the march) very few people will have the time to read about it in Red Cross or USAid pdfs even though they would probably remember critical things much better than in a classroom. Some can understand scientific papers, and others cannot read. Generally, if you want to be prepared you need to invest some time into practicing or reading e.g. “Where there is no Doctor”, or stocking some tools or supplies before shit hits the fan. Not many people are ready to do that. It is much less glamorous than posing with big guns and other stuff. Often people (correctly) feel it is unlikely that they would get a return on investment for their effort. Also, crises affect different regions (e.g. climate) in different ways, in those regions e.g. urban areas will be affected differently from rural, in those places different people (age, occupation, gender, minority) will again be affected differently in short to long term.

Most documents I know are written in a linear fashion, either for “the general populace” or authorities, or a few select critcal professions. Research articles in the field are often a bit better (if you can get them and understand them) as they show more of the detail under the hood. There is quite a bit out there in English, German, and I am sure French language. I would expect that other languages can be a very mixed bag.

Interestingly almost none of the materials I know are intended for reproduction and dissemination (perhaps modification) in the field, which I think is a critical shortcoming. Economically you often cannot but be largely unprepared for low frequency large impact events. If you could could start quickly copy-pasting stuff from a relatively few seeds once the event has come to pass, you would very quickly be able to deliver information and organize action far better.

I think the most realistic forms of reproduction in the field are (including grid down, excluding perhaps nuclear EMP scenarios):

• Copies via smart phone, either onto micro-sd card or using e.g. bluetooth file transfer.

• Recording of spoken/played material via phone, perhaps eventually put into writing.

• Pencil/coal stick/copy machine copies of simple illustrations/heuristics/nmemonics/ not more than a few lines in most cases.

My suggestion would be a less linear and mostly digital collection of material (even if the grid will be down it will be relatively easy to charge a smartphone/tablet/etc from solar or car batteries). Ideally most of it can be accessed through different lenses - weighing urgent vs important, for the specific “type” of audience, in a (or several) appropriate formats. On the latter point I would strongly recommend inlcuding something that is audio based with separate illustrations (and check lists, e.g. in playing card deck, or digitally as “album art” format) and incremental navigation (e.g. if you need to know more on this topic press forward 9 times and you hear the announcement “xyz”). An audio lecture then could be made up of a summary of 1. the most important things to know in a hurry, 2. the main content, 3. mnemonic take aways to repeat to yourself.

Audio has the advantages that you do not need to drop everything you’re doing, you can do it while walking, and you can do it in the dark.

If you use 64kbps (clear spoken language) mono mp3 audio you need approximately 1 MB for every 2 minutes. If we assume 24h of spoken material that would be 720 MB. This fits into almost every memory card (or CD), mp3 player and can be copied using bluetooth version 3 in 5 minutes, and version 2 in 30 minutes. The most important things everyone needs to know should probably be available in different languages but be only 3-15 minutes in duration. Additional material can be provided in ebook format (which can be referenced in the audio) with very little space required.

My schematic in the other comment is an example for non-digital content that can also be reproduced in the field, when you actually have demand. It could also be airdropped as leaflets of course.

I wanted to make a heuristic approach to re-establish some skeletal form of organization which can catalyze coopreration (especially in the 48h hours of pro-social behavior mostly observed after an acute catastrophe). I thought this is necessary because very often there exists no effective interface to the local society that the “professional care & aid circus” can dock into, and many of the respective group’s fuck-ups would be easier to avoid if there was such an interface. The idea is to establish channels on the ground within the local community which accumulate, curate (discuss), and disseminate critical information. Those information dense hubs can relatively easily be found and interfaced with the professionals. If the crises do not have a clear onset like an earthquale or flood, but is more creeping other approaches may be more effective though.

The implied understanding that may motivate people is the following: Doing difficult situations alone is usually not a good idea*. Put 20% into helping each other, and if the majority survives you’ll probably be among them.

The simplified instructions: 1 of 5 connects and helps to coordinate. 1 in 5 helps to coordinate coordinators. Information must flow in both directions fast, and critical aspects need to be documented.

Make a group in which you will quickly be able to trust, care, and communicate (so about 5). Then make groups of groups and dedicate 10-20% of your resources to communication & cooperation, about half “upwards” and half “downwards”.

*Something that rarely gets enough attention when you superficially glance at the prepper scene. Alone you are probably prey to your own stupidity, germs, or pack hunters. Your gun does not help when you are sleeping.

I think it’s useless to repeat methods from the past. We have to think out of the box and create new ways of reaction. We can use all this survival kit lists just for wring/sift and/or update them. The point is not an endless list that nobody wants to read it but to find ways to train the people through their daily routines. And only a few things should be prepared especially for emergencies.

Resilience routines then?

I agree that long lists and texts aren’t very helpful most of the time (although there may be exceptions, like cities under siege, certain diseases, etc.).

If you want to integrate activities that help prepare yourself for an acute or creeping emergency I think in many ways going camping, hiking, or something like the boy scouts are helpful to get people started. Basically you get used to the idea of getting by with less infrastructure. This of course does not address the myriad of other issues you may be facing, which can require quite different preparations.

That is in part why I looked at ways of short term organization and info dissemination. The other thing that would be helpful and perhaps realistic for some poeple at least is to try to be able to provide a useful service during such emergencies.

I would not want to dismiss methods from the past completely. Certainly many of them don’t work very well, may be blindsided, or out of touch with realities. So I agree one should not accept them as last word on the issues (and note I may sound more drastic on this if I had seen official approach fail on the Greek Islands for months) - there sure is a necessity for trying out new things. Still official policies often have some useful elements to them (also depends on how far into the past one wants to look).

Smells

Strongly scented soap, rosewater, essential oil (careful with skin contact) on a scarf dipped maybe mixed with vasiline could could produce a pleasent or at least effectively masking smell.

Vicks VapoRub supposedly also works as mosquito repellent, as well as medical uses.

If you have small things that small you could fix them with a safety pin.

Especially for women I could imagine the opposite could also be helpful in some situations: Stink bomb - Wikipedia

https://www.amazon.com/Stink-Bombs-42-0003-12-Boxes/dp/B001MKRQBS/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1478185871&sr=8-5&keywords=stink+bombs

Is there any kind of system in the world that could cope?

To your first question, I am not too optimistic. What we’re seeing over and over again is that large scale responses needed in these crises situations mostly come about ad hoc and like in Greece, it’s citizens who end up training themselves for preparedness. Matthis and co. for example set up this manual for disaster relief management. Is that what you have in mind, but more detailed?

But I am still amazed at how you, as an elected municipal councillor in Thessaloniki, prefered to take a step with community as main asset rather than with instruments you had available in your office. Did I get it wrong?

No, you didn’t!

@Noemi, thank you for mention @Matthias! I found his post very usefull. More pieces for my puzzle!

About the …hot stuff as an elected person I’ll be back tomorrow. I think I have to explain a few things about the reality here in Greece.

I want to know about this too!

Huh… @Aravella_Salonikidou , I managed to miss that you are a councillor. So yes, I am very much looking forward to the whole story.

In passing: I think we are looking at diversity trumps ability. When an activist-designer-manufacturer like you, a material scientist like @trythis and an open source hacker like @Matthias get on a task, it acquires incredible depth. I am reading your lists and thinking not only “how generous!” but “how clever!” and even “wow, this is cool”. :slight_smile:

Heads up: new challenge “Policies of Care”

@Aravella_Salonikidou know that I haven’t forgotten about this pending conversation about how the public administration and your more official hat helped or not your project. I would think you were ideally positioned to lead such a campaign with greater speed than other self-organised initiatives.

Because the role of administrations keeps popping up in many conversations in opencare, with the city of Milano we are now launching a campaign to understand how well meaning public servants and their office can collaborate, support or even set up better regulations endorsing community projects like yours and the others we know. Would you be interested in participating with a story? We could do it like this - organising a chat where you meet @Franca who’s part of the Milan team, and other edgeryders who are interested in this. And then we put together in writing the most interesting ideas from that chat. I’m happy to join you.

The challenge is here, have a look and let me know what you think? (we’re still polishing the wording, but it should give you an idea…)

I was thinking about that…

@Noemi @Alberto (and everybody else…) all this time I was thinking how I should answer this question. I hate it when I have to complain about something. So, I’ve done a sketch to help me explain what happens here. I’ll post it soon. And of course I want to participate! These days I have a personal problem but I hope next week I’ll be ready to involve.

It’s ok, we can wait a few more days of course!

Take the time you need, @Aravella. I look forward to supporting the writing in any way I can. Thank you for keeping this in mind, I think it will be important, especially one year into this opencare thing and given our plans with the PopUp village as a potential bridge between cities and citizens.

I am very moved by your story and I like the idea of including ‘a wish’ in every backpack so much. It reminds me of this project: https://www.facebook.com/weshallstandforlove/ of a fiend or me in Brussel: Dorothy Oger wrote the poem We shall stand for love in the aftermath of the Brussels terror attacks, and then the poem went viral and was translated in many many languages and now it is distributed for free on postcards with enough space to add a personal message;

I allways have the poem with me to pass it on to friends, refugees,…

@ybe the wish was one of the

@Ybe the wish was one of the most important things in the backpack. We didn’t send them without the wishes. And it was so powerfull and emotional. You can’t imagine what kind of wishes little kids can send! Most of the time my eyes were filled with tears…

Thank you for telling us about the poem. Amazing idea!

Notes to self

• Thermosflask improvements (big & glass)

• Hot air pump for sleeping bag

I just saw the images of people waiting in line in the snow

@Aravella_Salonikidou I just saw the images of people waiting in line in the snow and thought that this is horribly inefficient and I think degrading.

You’d only need an improvised ticket system and people could stay out of the bad weather unless it was their turn.

There are many ways and materials to improvise these from (Salt dough - Wikipedia ASIN B00O0PRFHM paper or clay (perhaps “non-firing”) and number punches ( B01M1VBFNS )).

The only thing you really need are the number punches. With them you can quickly improvise a (reusable) ticket system.

The details of implementing it can be all kinds of ways - not necessarily a first come, first serve. What I could imagine works fairly well is having a clock-like indicator which groups of tickets are called for when, and if available a loudspeaker that can also call things out.

One nice thing about the fimo stuff is that it is pretty easy to mix in a unique way, so making fakes is very difficult. And you have to look closely to see the number on it, which reduces fighting for the “best numbers” (you also do count downs vs count ups).

A pack of 570g can easily be made into 570 tickets. Cost per 1000 such long lasting tickets would be around 30 EUR.

Camps

We don’t have contact with the refugees anymore, the camps ate far from the town and nobody listens to any ideas. So, the only thing I can do it’s to keep it for my list. It’s difficult to explain the situation here…