It’s quite obvious that doing the basic mandatory studies isn’t enough anymore. We live in a very competitive and dinamic world, which changes every day. For this reason, I firmly believe that we should do our best to acquire all neccessary skills to resist in this globalised world. But which are those skills?
First of all, there are those which I call “Basic Skills” - Basic because, without them, we couldn’t do anything in the world we live in. And those basic skills are:
- English - it's mandatory. Maybe you will tell me: "But everybody knows english." Unfurtunately it's not true. It's not true, not only because of somebody's negligence, but also because of the inadequate education systems of some countries.
- Computer skills - everyone should know how to use the computer, at least at a basic level. Now, for almost every job you have, if you don't know how to use the computer, you are clearly disadvantaged.
We must stand out somehow, facing the competitive labor market. For these reason, we should’t settle knowing english and having basic computer skills. I think we should:
- Knowing at least one rare language, like chinese or arabic. It would be great to focus on those skills which aren't possessed by everybody.
- Knowing how to use specific programs on the computer. Clearly, we can't be able to use all specific programs, but if we know something from web design to administrative programs like office package, we are in a very favorable position.
- Team Spirit - I think we all should have team spirit. By team spirit I meam having the capability to listen others' opinions, working with people who apparently have different interests from ours, etc.
- Capacity of adaptation in new environments - Here I mean that it's very important to be flexible and open-minded. If you are a good listener and a good collaborator, you can adapt easily in a new work environment and so, be more productive.
- Being a good negociator - I think negociation is the key for everything. We all had, at least once, to negociate something . If we are able to do that properly, we are surely in a very advantageus position in the labor market.