Building LOTE Community Call #3 - Making Meaningful Projects Happen

Friday July 05 2013

Attending: Auli, Noemi, Dorotea, Nadia, Alberto

This nice summer time is also a time to keep building LOTE and we’ve just had our 3rd community call which we summarise here.

We have asked a question that we would like you and us all to answer: What should a perfect Guide to Make Meaningful Projects Happen have to be useful to you personally? some hint questions:

• What questions should it answer? eg: Examples of projects that are happening and how they did it ? How to generate revenues and have a financially sustainable project ?
  • In which form should it be? It doesn’t necessarily have to be a book, it can be a Living Collaborative document? A Movie or series of Videos?

Besides the importance of Edgeryders work, we think that collaboration should also be fun, and we would like to invite you to use collaborative, visual, fun tools to contribute to the project.  For example remixing images and videos, like this tool, check this out https://webmaker.org/

Another thing we were talking about is how to make it easier for you to use the edgeryders collaboration space also via the Edgeryders platform. Kudos to Auli, the expert, to make it happen. We want to prepare a video tutorial for you to make it easier to use the platform and collaborate.

We know it’s summer, and it can be hard to focus, but we take things slow, and in a nice atmosphere we continue our progress with building LOTE.

See you next Friday, July 12th, at 11 am CET in the same hangout.

Greetings from Dorotea, Auli and Noemi

2 Likes

Guide to Making Projects Happen should answer at

: How do we upskill fast and efficiently when working online and with very limited resources? So much so that one needs to learn new tricks in video production and editing (just now I’m learning to make tutorials for Lote work space!), design, online mapping tools and what not. I tentatively called this track proposal for Lote: Skype much? How do we upskill fast in technology & online tools? Have a look and let me know if it’s something you guys would be interested to explore…

I’ll find my way through the interactive tools (again, ha!) suggested at Friday’s call and try to use them in documenting resources for the session, also see what is embeddable on Edgeryders.eu and what not.

See you Friday 11 am !

How about a LOTE social meda team?

For the next community call: I propose we start asking the community (especially people who have signed up) to start a LOTE social media team, trying to build momentum and buzz around the event. We have experience here: this is the way Edgeryders 1 worked. Periodically, Noemi would select a link to be pushed out, and we would all reshare it. This created significant traffic, and ultimately drove activity.

What do you guys think?

Great Idea

I know folk don’t like the facebook, but perhaps we start using that page as a dump for links written with paragraph headers from ER folk and a hashtag. (for facebook)

This one starts with thread/track builders.

Folk creating tracks and managing them start the process, if you read a link about say ‘open gov’ and theres an open gov./participatory democracy tagline track at Lote and it fits:

• Write a tweet (condensed to tweet- who’s job is this?) relating it.

- Hashtag it : eg. #LOTE3-opengov

If we start like this theres a chance that we can push the hastags so much that others start feeding topical debate back, and eventually bringing folk into the live scenario.

Which would really help building tracks that accomodate the range.

Double checking

If i get this straight what you’re suggesting is to post daily on the facebook Lote group :

link + communication/ header + hashtag (hashtag works on both fb and twitter) + ask others to help spread it if they like it

Would work for me even better than email, with the condition that others in the group would agree that it’s not too much content. Me, I’m biased because i’m doing the Edgeryders social media stuff in limited capacity and I’m always scared of feeding unuseful info and try to optimize this stuff as much as possible, but then it may be my own bias :))

On the other hand we created that group for Lote info, so it doesn’t defeat its purpose.

1 Like