Building the platform- A workshop weekend in Berlin (part II)

Results/ findings from the Workshop \#1 at Supermarkt in Berlin, August 27-28

1. Who can we reach?

These are who some of the workshop participants think it is feasible to reach and engage  in the project due to time and resource constraints: Thanks Basti!

2. What participants can gain from getting involved in it

Inspiration. Knowledge and the wisdom of crowds directed towards helping you or someone else by giving you suggestions for what to do next (might help in getting unstuck!) if they are a “yaysayer”, or a heads-up on what issues you might come across or have to solve if they are a “naysayer”. Network-building with people who would otherwise be outside your, or your network’s, line of site

3. The concepts and the user journey through the system

We want to create a positive experience  by designing and or implementing processes that foster awareness, reflection and expression:

4. Project Narrative

There were several that surfaced but the one that seemed to inspire alot of ideas was: “The battle against those who say it can’t be done”. Some other related ideas that surfaced: - the power of “but, maybe we can do this”? - spare some change - yaysayers - speculators of change - changefinders

It’s a story space not a social network!

One of the breakout groups felt we ought to frame it as an interactive experience- which might have some game elements in it. Here’s is how it might work: A story is communicated as a challenge you want to achieve and for which you need the input from others. For example by communicating that “I want to set up a windmill in my backyard- is it possible?” and enabling the audience to submit their input to you. The challenge is seeded through social media and networks of community engagement managers. It needs to be tweet-able (engaging) and contain a link to our website. People follow the link to our site, and are faced with a slideshow of story stubs (Mark wants to do this, Maria wants to do that etc) in which protagonists, trailblazers ask you the visitor how to make the challenge happen- what would you do next? You are faced with a blank space and asked to respond. You can then share the challenge and can see what others have suggested- you are asked to react to the content that others have submitted (All the first stories we seed out will have content submitted by others, e.g. the community engagement managers in order to set an example and the right tone). Before leaving the space you are asked to fill in a field suggesting one concrete action to take for the protagonists in the story and to help them with suggestions from alot of people by sharing the challenge with your friends. You want to engage with story going on, two alternative pathways 1) share your own story or 2) help the person to keep building on their story, share your own advice (surface your embodied experience-based knowledge).

Script the story front and back

In building the journey experience, we came to the conclusion that we would need to script experience by first enacting a few roles while “playing” in the system through a real story and then bodystorming it: a protagonist with an idea, a person interested in their idea, a naysayer, the system (front and back), as well as an ally (someone with a common goal, or something in common with the protagonist).

Want to help? Here's how!

1. Poke holes in the prototype!

The team at the Council of Europe is synthesising the output from the workshop material as well as our own internal discussions and insights into a functional prototype by the end of next week. If you want to help us test it send me an email: nadia.el-imam [at] coe.int If you feel like getting hand on down and dirty with the ideas generated during the workshop for your own projects or just as a creative exercise,  you can access the project mockups Mybalsamiq here and the photo documentation from the workshop in the form of a slideshare here. Just send me an email and I’ll add you to the account ( you have to be added to the project manually to be able to modify them): nadia.el-imam[at]coe.int

2. Give the gift of attention!

Shine some light on someone who’s efforts you think should acknowledged.  Send me a story about someone who gives you hope for the future…who are they, why do they inspire you, what do you think are their strengths and what challenges would people who want to follow their path face: nadia.el-imam[at]coe.int