Call for Action: Greece - Expedition Freedom!

In my mission proposal (http://edgeryders.ppa.coe.int/help-build-edgeryders-p2p-school-resilience/mission_case/mission-proposal-greece-learning-situation) I brought up an old idea of mine, to perform a study tour throughout Greece. The goal is to learn about self-governing movemenst & communities in Greece, hardly known to the Europena public. Most of cameras and minds are focused on Athens - and this is just a fire show, while in shadows real life is thriving.

The output of this mission will be threefold:

• a documentary (or several of them), addressed to the broad public, showing Greece behind the fira and smoke of Athen riots.
  • some articles (perhaps a book?) describing the emerging self-governed societies and intentional communities at their best: replacing ineffective state system at the grassroot level.
  • a network of contacts (or maybe online community) to link Greek communities with international supporters and activists to let spread the Greek lesson wherever it may be needed.
Since publishing this idea here, I have had several conversations and received many comments and messages on it. For sure, several things need to change:
  1. One small team is not enough to cover substantial part of the issue, and just couple weeks is too short to see that many places we may need.
  2. We need a good documentary movie project to offer to a decent TV station, if we want to make it doable.
  3. Crowdfunding will be essential - this way or another - so we neeed a good promo clip. :)
The bottom line is  WE NEED PEOPLE! We shall have to form probably three teams, each one with it's own camerapeople, writer and contact maker. If we add 2-3 people for the 'ground support', we shall need 15 people, ready to spend couple months preparing and running the project the lowcost way.

Here in Poland I am talking to a group of 6 people, including 4 movie makers. There will be some more invited to participate. I invite all of you, who want to get involved. The first goal is to form a group and to make a project out of the idea - of course through participation and consensus method.

Once we have the project defined, we shall go for funding. And that will be our reality check. From then on, hopefully, we shall just fly high :slight_smile:

OK, who's in?

Petros I think this is a great initiative.

Noemi, Andrei and I had a chat yesterday and all three of us are pretty excited about this. I’ll ping someone I met in Greece to see if they might be interested. Also I wanted to ask whether you might be up for joining us in Brussels. Ping me on twitter? @Ladyniasan

Damn the torpedoes! :slight_smile:

1. I am setting up a steering group facility at loom.io - will help us greatly in discussions and decision making.

2. The bad news is that I have an appointed talk on Dec 7th, in Cracow (there is a conference “After Capitalism”) - I will be talking about anarcho-positivism. Everyone is invited.

3. I can supposedly go to Brusseles right the next day, however I am not in the position to cover my costs. But, perhaps some skype-based teleconference would do? This I can arrange from here.

4. Anyway - full speed ahead!

We can better plan Greece in Brussels :slight_smile:

Petros, we’ll find a way to get you there, the thing is you need to register in Asta’s form so that we can find you accommodation via courchsurfing or AirBnb…

Then in Brussels we can pitch this to everybody and see exactly what resources the community has, you’d be surprised :slight_smile: I definitely want to come, thinking of spring or earlier?

Ma’am, yes, ma’am!

Registration done.

As for the expedition dates - let’s form a community and let it work - all details will emerge as a result. Conservatively, I expect spring to be possible.

Generous and daring

Well played, sir. I don’t think I have anything to contribute to this particular project - I am no visual thinker. But I like the approach: it is generous (“hey, I am jobless and homeless. Let’s go fix some really big problem!”) and it is daring (“let’s look at Greece as the hotbed of new and interesting solutions, not as the witch’s brew of problem”) . It fits well into my dream of citizen-driven regional development policy. I shall keep you in my radar… and donate to the crowdfunding initiative, of course.

Alberto, folks, something is cooking!

I am now in the middle of conversation with the P2P foundation. Perhaps this will give us a boost-kick. :slight_smile:

There is a goup for it!

https://n-1.cc/g/greece_expedition_freedom

Counting heads, gathering assets, preparing for the Great Greek Spring Tour - Expedition Freedom. Come, see, join, support!