Communicating Climate Risk: A Toolkit

Launching at COP26 tomorrow, a publication about communicating climate risk from the Analysis under Uncertainty for Decision-Makers network and the COP26 Universities Network:

I am excited about it and everything, but I’m even more excited about the NEXT iteration (early to mid 2022). Some of the things I hope to explore there include (perhaps this is too much / not enough):

• Climate imaginaries within cultural production that is not primarily about climate
  • Democracy, participatory processes, stakeholder engagement, questions of equality and inclusion
  • Journalism and the public sphere
  • More on metrics, standards, certification, validation, assurance, incentive design, league tables
  • More things that feel like actual tools (my co-authors and I have had some interesting discussions about what counts as a tool, I probably have too narrow a view!)
  • More specifically on coastal infrastructure, sea level rises, and compound flooding hazards
  • Disinformation
  • Social media
  • Translating between climate science and finance communities
  • Activism, protest, direct action
  • Perhaps some brief, accessible, content-heavy explainers about specific topics in climate science and climate policy

Feedback very welcome!

1 Like

Oooh this looks interesting, thanks for sharing. It’s a lot to cover, did you list them in order of interest/priority for you?

I did more-or-less but (after a few very busy days!!) the order has probably changed a bit :slight_smile:

Probably these are the priority areas for now …

• More specifically on coastal infrastructure, sea level rises, and compound flooding hazards (with some focus on SIDS and Indigenous knowledge)
  • More on metrics, standards, certification, validation, assurance, incentive design, league tables
  • Translating between climate science and finance communities