Construction works in the Monastery

Hi everyone,

As [Alberto] said (https://edgeryders.eu/node/2069) the building works in the unMonastery started about one month.

Time to time we will update you on the development of the work.

In these days the construction company is repairing the roof, they removed the baths of the first level and replaced them with two showers. They added a drain for the kitchen on the first floor (this request is made ​​by some edgeryders during Lote 3, to create in the ground floor and in the first floor a kitchen area; reversible spaces).

Regarding the furniture we are doing to make quotations for household electrical appliances. (list posted by [Rita O]).

Regarding the beds, desks, chairs, wardrobe we are thinking about using pallets (easily available) and design of furniture removable and reversible.

Another demand made ​​on this site by some edgeryders is to create mobile furniture (with the use of wheels or attached to the walls).

We continue to use this link (/t/making-lote3/360/co-design-unmonastery-documentation-and-looming-questions) to post or write ideas for the phase of coworking furniture.

Ciao Antonio

watch out with toxic palets!

Hi Antonio,

Thank you for those updates, looks like you making great progress!

I would like to point out that some pallets get soaked with chemical stuff as explained in this article: http://greenupgrader.com/19085/how-to-tell-if-wood-pallets-are-safe-for-crafting/

Myself I can reuse matereaces from LOTE3 and keep all the stuff in a backpack anyhow. I will only need working space with ergonomic table. Preferably we could make sitting and standing tables which can adjust their height depending who uses it. Sitting table does NOT need to convert to standing one and vice versa but all could have at least 15cm range of adjustments. I also will try to bring a big rubber ball to sit on, try to stand more while working on a computer and sometimes just use some boxy thing to put same materace as i sleep on and sit on it cross-legged.

Preferably we can all take turns in using various tables and sitting objects to optimise their use and enjoy healthy variety of positions :slight_smile:

We do online hangouts every sunday until unmonastery starts, would you like to join one of them? Today most likely we do it 15:30 - 16:30 in case you can and would like to join, next week possibly on regular time 14:00

Oh, do you plan some small dry and dark storage for general food supplies? I will investigate arranging bigger quantities in batches which would last for 1-2monts at a time. Stuff like rice, flour, beans, lentils, pasta, nuts, dried fruits, jars with preserved food, oils etc.

Ciao o/

1 Like

Pallets

[elf-pavlik] thanks for the information about the wood pallets, we will be careful to choose wood pallets without HT or MB marks. Nice idea for the ergonomic table.

There aren’t storage for general food supplies, but you can put it in a closet in the kitchen.

For hangouts is difficult for me to be there, because my English is not very fluent, so I prefer to write in this blog.

Thanks, ciao

Pallets

[elf-pavlik] thanks for the information about the wood pallets, we will be careful to choose wood pallets without HT or MB marks. Nice idea for the ergonomic table.

There aren’t storage for general food supplies, but you can put it in a closet in the kitchen.

For hangouts is difficult for me to be there, because my English is not very fluent, so I prefer to write in this blog.

Thanks, ciao

chemical stuff

Nice work Antonio!

To be more specific about said ‘chemical stuff’ on pallets - the MB notice is indeed one to watch out for - use of Methyl Bromide has been banned in the EU since 2010, so thankfully these are not as common as they once were.

As for HT (heat treated) this is just heating the wood to a high temperature for half an hour or so, I’ve never seen any evidence that this process uses any more ‘harmful chemicals’ than nitrogen and water vapour. I can’t see any reason to avoid HT wood for this kind of use.

4 Likes

Thank you!

Hi Antonio,

Thank you so much for the update! It’s great to see that work is underway and have photos.

In terms of furniture design, you have a fairly specific brief from the co-designing page. But also I outlined some additional points and minimal requirements in this post: https://edgeryders.eu/comment/7850#comment-7850 - I was wondering if it would be possible to get an overview of your thinking this week and see where we can help you.

I also thought it would be useful and save time to make incremental updates in this document – I’ve inserted everything that I can think of and you have mentioned.

Let me know your thoughts!

Choosing utilities providers?

Do we have any options in Matera of choosing who provides electricity, internet, phone, water, gas? I doubt about water and AFAIK we will not use gas. I mostly wonder about options for electricity, internet & phone. Anything else?

This week we start clarifying our vison of food supplies, working on it together with [Kathleen]. And then will start gather options of possible sources and gather more feedback from community!

No choice

[elf Pavilk] we have no choice we have no choice for the provision of gas, internet, water and electricity. The Committee Matera 2019 enters into contracts. Change the operator of the utilities takes a long time.

I agree with you that the gas is better than electricity, but in the kitchen we have difficulties to realize the gas system. I think that during the UNMONASTERY together we can find solutions to use electricity sparingly.

Deadlines coming soon!

[antonioelettrico], the agreement was that the renovation work would be finished by January 15th (in a week!) and the (basic) furniture would be in by January 31st. Can you confirm we can expect this to happen? Or are we late? Also pinging [Rita O]

RE: Deadlines coming soon!

[Alberto] and [Rita O] this morning we went to unMonastery and we talked with the construction company and the technician of the municipality of Matera and they said that they will end up 17 Friday. Today they have started work on the electrical system and they are completing the water system and heating.

Tomorrow we will meet with a carpenter to understand how to assemble some furniture.

RE: Deadline!

Hi [antonioelettrico] thank you for the regular updates!

I wondered if [Rita O] had let you know I plan to come to Matera on the 17th (will arrive in the evening) and I wondered, can we view the building on the 18th and have a meeting to discuss everything?

Ok Ben

Hi [Ben], [Rita O] upgraded me of your arrival in Matera. I think that for January 18 there are no problems to enter in the unMonastery. For the furniture will still be under construction. Tomorrow I’ll post more photos of the work. Ciao

Great News!

Both [antonioelettrico] and [Rita O] please let me know if there are any other meetings that might make sense when I’m there, 18th will be the best day.

1 Like

Work progress status

Hi everyone;

I am writing to update you on the construction work progress.

The construction company has finished to realize the electrical system. They realized the internet facility on the first floor. They have some problems on the ground floor, because it is difficult to create Internet facility in the caves.

The company has clean from weeds external stairs and the first floor balcony.

The bathrooms on the first floor are complete.

We did move a step to the eventual realization of the kitchen on the first floor. At this time we have attacks of the kitchen in both plans.

The carpenters are repairing the broken fixtures.

Finally today have started to paint the rooms of the first floor.

Slowly but surely

Thanks [antonioelettrico]. We are getting there…