Crowdfunders

There’s been a lot to learn about Crowdfunders (both as platforms and as campaigns) and its a new area for me so i’m trying to tie as much information together before we embark on the journey.

For a campaign like the EconSciFi one their are a few ares to take into consideration:

1. this is both a research and somewhat artistic project
  2. from a brief look through the major platforms what we are offering to create is unique (of course)
  3. our backers and funders will be drawn from multiple disciplines
  4. our backers and funders are likely to be majority from EU countries
  5. we anticipate that most of our backers will already have an interest in the Science Fiction field

A quick scan through the major platforms for ‘creative’ programmes Kickstarter and IndieGoGo show that there are a large number of science fiction related projects attached. (various levels of success in hitting funding targets - book based projects doing better than film based projects)
IndieGoGo runs a 5% platform fee (plus other background fee costs)
Kickstarter is basically the same in terms of costs

The other option, which i personally am more drawn to is KissKissBankBank It has the advantage of being in Euros, and with a good reach in the EU. It is predominantly for Creative Projects, and is pretty much identitcal in terms of project costs with Kickstarter and IndieGoGo:

How is KissKissBankBank remunerated?
As a platform service between the Project Creators and the public, KissKissBankBank receives 5% of the funds raised (only if the campaign’s target is reached). This commission is provided by the Project Creators. The secured transaction costs of 3% must be added to the commission of 5%, and that only if the campaign reaches its target. When the campaign does not reach its, all contributions are reimbursed, and, obvisouly, KissKissBankBank does not receive any commission.

They also have a very strong background in projects with a SciFi feel

Does anyone else have any strong recommendations or suggestions that i’m overlooking here?

3 Likes

I am not competent… maybe @johncoate?

Not really except that I have contributed to various campaigns. Have not started or managed one myself.

Hi There , If you are looking for tips to how build your compagn let me know .I build one 4 years agon and failed but now it is my research field .

3 Likes

Thanks @khaoula, much appreciated. We are on standby as we collect our ideas. Is there a resource where we can benchmark crowdfunding campaigns of the same type, and learn from them? For example, @mariacoenen and I have different opinions about how important it is to have a precise date and venue when you crowdfund for an event. Does it have to be “September 25th 2019 at Kai Theater in Brussels” or can it be simply “September 2019, in Brussels” (of course, provided that the campaign happens six months before the event.

Hallo , We are talking about a single offline event or you already launch it online and you are invite people to promote on it . @alberto

@khaoula, we are looking at a single offline event which would happen in the future.
The key divergence in our understanding is if people will contribute money through a crowdfunder to a live, one-off event in the future if they don’t know when it will take place.
People will fund speculative projects that deliver experiential goods (music, films, books, games) where the delivery date is undefined.
My premise is that this is because the ‘product’ can be consumed anywhere/anytime after delivery, whereas with a live, ephemeral event, it is a one-time-only deal.
Perhaps some will contribute whether or not they can attend because they believe in the product. But i feel that will be a small minority of backers.

We throw the question out to others with direct experience of these areas as this is our first attempt at this type of crowdfunding exercise