Data and Policy - Seminar - 20th January

In your experience, what’s the most important issue with the current data ecosystem? Do you have a story/example to illustrate your point?
No tools for automatic enforcement of GDPR by penalties

1 Like

In your experience, what’s the most important issue with the current data ecosystem? Do you have a story/example to illustrate your point?
1. a big problem is spam. Masses of emails are sent that are really just junk and annoy people. Then there are promotional emails that can theoretically contain interesting information, but the recipient has not agreed to receive them.

1. another problem are cookies and this annoying query whether I agree or not. Here it would be nice to have a standard that allows browser plugins to make “global” settings. And to have exceptions for certain domains. (Ok, I admit, I haven’t done any research yet. Maybe there is something like that (-:wink:

2. email encryption is a problem. Even for it experts it is super annoying to use it and for non-it’ers I think it is not usable.
    The email protocol is very powerful and may still have a reason to exist. But I am sure for a large part of the emails it is overhead.
    Maybe we need an alternative that solves the encryption and spam problem. ActivityPub is a good approach as a standard, but it is very generic and not easy to implement. This might need attention and marketing! https://openengiadina.net/ is already working in the direction of encryption of linked data.

3. semantic web is only for experts and corporations. We should enable small organizations to provide semantic data.

1 Like

Users are not citizens the whole “interface” concept has to be completely redesigned

1 Like

The chat of today’s meeting:
[12:59] Rob van Kranenburg : If you have ideas, links, notes please put them here
https://tell.edgeryders.eu/15164

Dear all, good morning

I have a back up link, as there was a lot of noise on Twitter. There can be any number off people from 5 to 20. To me. Any number its a success, it is about the quality of discussion not the amount of people.

I will open the meeting on. 1300 and 1500 but just to be sure:

If the room should crash go:

pro.fairteaching.net/r/Rob
The room is limited to 200 participants

I suggest to have follow up open meetings Data and Policy every second Wednesday of the month from 1930-2030 CET, that I will open and moderate and you and everyone else is welcome to join of course, starting February 3 1930-2030 CET

Greetings, Rob
kranenbu@xs4all.nl
[12:59] Rob van Kranenburg : Let’s wait two minutes.
[12:59] fredd : great, thank you!
[13:00] alberto : Hello all!
[13:01] alberto : To everybody: we have been collecting remarks or questions at Data and Policy - Seminar - 20th January
[13:01] Welcome to Data and Policy: METHODS!

For help on using BigBlueButton see these (short) tutorial videos.

To join the audio bridge click the phone button. Use a headset to avoid causing background noise for others.

To join this meeting by phone, dial:
+31 15 201 0064
Then enter 79531 as the conference PIN number.
[13:02] alberto : You are welcome to add your own. Easiest way is to go to Edgeryders Forms
[13:02] fredd : yes
[13:02] alberto : What you write will appear in that forum thread.
[13:03] Rob van Kranenburg : If you have ideas, links, notes please put them here
Edgeryders Forms

Dear all, good morning

I have a back up link, as there was a lot of noise on Twitter. There can be any number off people from 5 to 20. To me. Any number its a success, it is about the quality of discussion not the amount of people.

I will open the meeting on. 1300 and 1500 but just to be sure:

If the room should crash go:

pro.fairteaching.net/r/Rob
The room is limited to 200 participants

I suggest to have follow up open meetings Data and Policy every second Wednesday of the month from 1930-2030 CET, that I will open and moderate and you and everyone else is welcome to join of course, starting February 3 1930-2030 CET

Greetings, Rob
kranenbu@xs4all.nl
[13:04] Ioannis Kennis : hi!
[13:04] Ioannis Kennis : I am here. no mic I 'm afraid
[13:05] Rob van Kranenburg : Reconnect maybe
[13:05] fredd : you have to re-join and connect with “mivcrophone” on
[13:05] Rob van Kranenburg : There is voice asking you test as you join.
[13:05] Jaya : bah, connection issues - the snow storm seems to have got heavier here!
[13:06] fredd : seeing your screen rob
[13:08] alberto : (I kind of like this Big Blue Button thing)
[13:09] fredd : I have used it a lot, i think has a very good interface
[13:13] Rob van Kranenburg : sorry to hear about that jaya, great intevention this morning!
[13:13] Rob van Kranenburg : hi federico!
[13:20] alberto : … or on the chat
[13:20] fredd : I wonder if to the extent of you knowledge there is a probabilistic approach to this kind of analysis
[13:20] alberto : Fredd: I will take this in voice, if you don’t mind.
[13:21] fredd : noproblem
[13:21] alberto : :slight_smile:
[13:25] Rob van Kranenburg : Anyone who has a question just talk or ask me to make you presenter.
[13:26] Sten-Erik Björling : I have a question but do not need to be a presenter…
[13:26] Rob van Kranenburg : Can you put it in the chat? Or talk in a bit?
[13:26] Sten-Erik Björling : I will talk in…
[13:27] Rob van Kranenburg : Yes, you can also do video, plesae try.
[13:29] alberto : (I am taking notes)
[13:30] fredd : if you want I am trying to use the public (shared) notes
[13:31] fredd : In the case of the pandemic you need only georeferred data and could be anonymised on the edge
[13:31] fredd : BUT then you have a possibility of hacking reality and create mayhem with the app
[13:32] fredd : so you must put a buffer on time to open up the data and other types of checks to minimise this risk
[13:32] Rob van Kranenburg : no mayhem please :slight_smile:
[13:33] Carola Compa - DPella : regarding the dispair of usage of data for the pandemic. Could be that the social fear of being target as virus carries goes beyond the rational usage of data. i refer to people city or countries
[13:33] fredd : no has to log in again
[13:33] alberto : Carola: good point. That is possible.
[13:34] alberto : Fredd: again, I am not sure that we even need location data to make progress over “curfew at 10. 00 pm for all”.
[13:35] fredd : agreed
[13:35] alberto : Yes, Oliver, Italy is the same. Health care is a competence of the regions, the central govt is left to aggregate.
[13:35] fredd : it says a lot about the level of italian debate anyway
[13:36] alberto : That has led to the central govt and the regions blaming each other
[13:36] Sten-Erik Björling : I just wanted to suggest an avenue for research… Sorry if I steered away from the core…
[13:37] Rob van Kranenburg : No, I think it was clear, we will take it up in a short report.
[13:37] alberto : No proble, Sten-Erik. I have taken note of what you said and will pass it on. You can also make a more structured suggestion at Edgeryders Forms
[13:44] fredd : but what sensitive data could you infer from the data about the admission in hospitals?
[13:44] alberto : Hello Vladikup, I read your stuff on Edgeryders, thanks a lot!
[13:44] alberto : @fredd: none, of course.
[13:45] Carola Compa - DPella : it is a problem to underestimate the power of the politics - social influence, and believe the technology availability is the core of the problem
[13:45] VladiKup : Thanks @alberto!
[13:46] fredd : I think you can infer stuff like real costs sustained by regions for covid hospitalisation…
[13:46] alberto : Can you say more on that Carola?
[13:47] Sten-Erik Björling : There are some Horizon Europe proposal efforts planned to create such a neutral interoperability system.
[13:47] Carola Compa - DPella : also, there is a fear due to legal contents again doctors malpractice. it is calls my attention that not a clear network for doctors share knowledge about covid
[13:48] Rob van Kranenburg : Maybe make a note on tell edgeryders page so people can explore more about that? Almso check NGI.eu Open calls if they are relevant
[13:49] alberto : (i have heard Italian docs during the first wave were all on WhatsApp. The ministry was coming down with shady recommendation on the usage of PPE equipment, and they needed the arguments to fight back)
[13:50] alberto : Sten-Erik could you put references to those proposals on Edgeryders Forms ??
[13:52] Sten-Erik Björling : Have to get approval for that from the core partners developing the proposals. The proposals will be implementation-centric.
[13:53] alberto : Aha, OK, you are still working on them. No worries, then.
[13:53] Sten-Erik Björling : Horizon Europe proposals
[13:56] Rob van Kranenburg : I will also put you in email contact Alberto and Sten-Erik.
[13:56] alberto : Ok, Oliver, but in ten years you would think people would learn how to do procurement for digital services. Just get a in-house lawyer to add an article on data ownership to the contract template. :slight_smile:
[13:57] alberto : good point, Rob. But again, I am describing the Italian situation, not sure about the rest of the continent.
[13:59] Rob van Kranenburg : Link up with SDG and policy people.
[13:59] fredd : open data on environment is the ONLY WAY to let the land talk in policy making terms, this is why is IMHO not done
[13:59] VladiKup : Re. Open Data advocacy. From Open Knowledge Finland the MyData Global (mydata.org) was born 2 years back. Now we have 42 hubs on 6 continents
[14:00] Oliver Rack, OGN Germany : thanks. cu later Rob
[14:00] fredd : not necessary! I took some notes
[14:00] fredd : you find them in the shared notes
[14:00] fredd : they are not complete
[14:00] Rob van Kranenburg : 15:00 https://bbb.tbm.tudelft.nl/b/rob-cis-o7h-gos
[14:00] Oliver Rack, OGN Germany : lets make appointment at further questions
[14:00] alberto : Thanks Vladikup, Rob and I have met the mydata.org community.
[14:01] VladiKup : @alberto !
[14:01] alberto : “open data on environment is the ONLY WAY to let the land talk in policy making terms, this is why is IMHO not done”
[14:01] Rob van Kranenburg : BBB
[14:01] alberto : Fredd, can you say more about it?
[14:01] alberto : The session is ending, but maybe on Edgeryders Forms
[14:01] alberto : ?
[14:01] fredd : sure, maybe the feb 10
[14:02] Oliver Rack, OGN Germany : see you later guys
[14:02] fredd : sure thing, I havve registered on edgyriders as well
[14:02] alberto : It seems like a generative intuition.
[14:02] Rob van Kranenburg : pro.fairteaching.net/r/Rob
[14:02] Rob van Kranenburg : Dat and Policy every 2n Wednesday 1930
[14:02] Oliver Rack, OGN Germany : ahh …oke…neted
[14:02] Ioannis Kennis : thank you!

People give up data