Ethnography Coding Call April 2 2020

That makes sense!

No problem with that, can fill the time with further revisions of the coding and coding itself.

1 Like

Dear All,

I think it is a good idea to postpone, at least a week. I have been indeed completely occupied with Fatigue and Poprebel reporting (and “fixing things”), but even more with working with my students and grading their work (the semester ends this week, actually today for me). Teaching online and attending to their various needs has been very time consuming.

I am talking to my Polish colleagues already about an additional Polish coder and will resume my own coding this weekend for sure. We need to “attack” and make up for the coding delays within the nexts few weeks.

Please everybody report back to Amelia or me if there are issues. These are enormously difficult times, but I am sure we can help each other and find solutions.

I am looking forward to talking to all of you soon. Stay safe,

Jan

And one more thing - for scheduling. Since my classes end today, from now on I will be much more flexible, but starting on May 18, I will teach long distance in Warsaw on some days at 11:30 here (so 17:30 in Brussels). Meeting at 8 or 9 am my time here (14 or 15 in Brussels) should always work for me. I will keep you informed about other changes in my schedule.

Yours,

Jan

@amelia, @Jirka_Kocian, @supernova, @SZdenek, @Richard @matthias Dear All, I gather we have no date for the meeting yet. Could please work on that, as I need to set my schedules. I hope you are all well. Warm regards,

Jan

Hi @Jan,

There isn’t much use in having a meeting if no more coding has been done. I’m happy to set a date, but we need commitment from @Maja @supernova and you to have produced some material and interacted with @Jirka_Kocian and my codebooks (as well as each others’).

One thing we can all do in the meantime is either (in the backend) go through the codes and split them into English and mother tongue codes (replacing the slash function) or let us (@matthias) know if that’s not feasible, so we can write a script to do it for you.

To do this, just click on the view for an individual code and assign it both English and mother tongue definitions:

2 Likes

I’m happy to tentatively set a meeting date for May 28. That gives some time to code and interact with others’ codebooks.

Let’s say 9am Eastern US/ 2pm UK/ 3pm Brussels. If anyone can’t make, please suggest another time.

1 Like

Hi all (and particularly @Jirka_Kocian and @SZdenek for now) – I am encountering (unsurprisingly) many references to coronavirus. Just wanted to say that for now I am using the code “Covid-19” to refer to this. We should standardise — does anyone have a preference for what we call the virus? I have no attachment to this code and would be happy to change it if so.

Hello. I am ok with Covid19 or Covid-19. Though, I am not sure if this is the accurate name (is it Sars-Cov-2?), but it is the name most often used, also in Czechia.

1 Like

Hi. I think at that time I would have to accompany my daughter to her dancing lessons (the quarantine is over and kindergartens here in Czechia are supposed to be open from 25th May) that start 15:45. Would it be possible to reschedule the meeting to a bit earlier so I can be 15:15 at the kindergarten to pick her up (and walk her to the dancing lesson)? Let’s say 14:00-15:00 CET (13:00-14:00 GMT)? It would help a lot. Otherwise, I would have to be connected to the meeting only on my headphones while on the move. Take care, Zdenek

Dear @amelia,

Since we posted a question (more then a month ago) on how to split a code we received an answer that the option of splitting / copying code will be added, but we don’t see it yet. Maybe we are missing something, if so, please can we have some further instruction on how to do it? @matthias

This is important, because most of the comments in our codebook are related to splitting code.

Concerning the remark that “no more coding has been done” - we have to emphasize that we coded all the material that exists in serbian section of the platform. This raises question of what is happening with community management, since EdgeRyders took over this responsibility a year ago.

Can you please give us the clear instruction on weather we are supposed to also do the language splitting code, since it wasn’t clear weather this would be somehow done in another way.

Also, we went through other codebooks, but it is not completely clear to us what are we supposed to do? Do we just comment if we think that something can be coded in a more efficient or elegant way? Or do we link every code that we find in other codebooks that can be understood as the code with the same or similar meaning as the code in our codebook? If so, do we link it in both directions?

Hope you are all well.
Best regards,
Maja and Isidora

P.S. Just a reminder, we are both using this “Maja” account, because we don’t have the option of seeing each other’s codes in any other way while coding.

We are OK with this date and time.

See you all then.
Best regards,
Isidora and Maja

You can please both use your own account from now on. A few days ago, we added the feature that Open Ethnographer will propose all codes from the same ethnographic coding project if you configure it for that the following way:

1. Go the Open Ethnographer interface.

2. Click “User Settings → [your user] → Edit User Settings”.

3. Under “Discourse tag”, select the tag applied to posts in your coding project, namely ethno-poprebel in your case.

4. Click “Update User Settings”.

I have answered that in the original thread now.

Actually, I should repeat what I just told Maja, now for everyone in the team: Open Ethnographer now supports collaborative coding. @amelia @SZdenek @Jan @Richard @Jirka_Kocian @supernova @Maja

Instructions

In the auto-suggest list of codes you see when coding with Open Ethnographer, so far only your own codes were shown. You can now let Open Ethnographer suggest codes that your fellow ethnographers applied throughout the same coding project (here, ethno-poprebel).

To do that, you first have to choose your coding project once (and then every time when you move to work on a different project). To do so:

1. Go the Open Ethnographer interface.
  2. Click “User Settings → [your user] → Edit User Settings”.
  3. Under “Discourse tag”, select the tag applied to posts in your coding project, namely ethno-poprebel in this case.
  4. Click “Update User Settings”.

Note that, as a side effect, Open Ethnographer will not include all of your own codes in the suggestions, but only those that you used before in the current coding project. You can always switch back to the old behavior or “show only my own codes independent of coding project, and nothing of others” by selecting “no tag” in the above setting.

(This is also documented in the manual now.)

Background

This implements what Amelia requested at the beginning of this topic (see the quote below). Just that code names are not proposed additionally in English if a code name of the same code has already been included in the coding user’s language. (We’ll get that fixed, but it should be a minor issue to be aware of for now.)

2 Likes

@Jan @Jirka_Kocian @Maja @Richard, I’m postponing the meeting. Keep coding and updating your codes and codebooks — I’ll reach out when I’m ready to reschedule. Thank you!

Do we have a meeting today? If so, where can we find the link?

ah, ok, now I see it is postponed.

Dear All, as I wrote to Amelia earlier, Wojtek and I had a really great “workshop” today to develop our method of work and code a bit. We have come up with three questions:

The mother-child code relationship. Say, we code “homosexuality” and it intersects in the coded fragment with the issue of “various approaches”. Wojtek codes separately assuming that if we want to get the intersection the software will catch it and display. I code: mother: “homosexuality” and child: “homosexuality: various approaches.” What is your advice?

Wojtek observed that if, say, he codes the whole entry with CODE1 and then codes a part of it with CODE2 and then wants to adde CODE3, say, to a word, he cannot do this. The system allows only two codes “on one bit of text”, it seems.

The most urgent issue: is it possible to duplicate a threat of a conversation, so we could code it on the platform separately (also inter-coder reliability) and only then to compare our codes and reconcile them? It is - we believe - a very useful exercise, at least the beginning, to compare and try to synchronize our coding “habits.”

Yours, Jan

@Jan this is a very old thread, and a long one — can you start a new one, perhaps called ‘Polish coding’ or something to that effect, and repost/move this there?

And should I invite Jirka, etc?