EU Missions calls and partnerships

EU Missions are a new entry in the European funding frame, introduced within Horizon Europe research and innovation programme.

In brief: missions operate as a portfolio of actions combining research projects, policy measures, citizen engagement, legislative initiatives to "achieve measurable goals and deliver concrete results” by 2030. A coordinated effort by the Commission aims to pool funding programmes, policies and regulations, mobilising and activating public and private actors - EU Member States, regional and local authorities, research institutes, farmers and land managers, entrepreneurs and investors.

The missions support Commission programmes the European Green Deal, Europe fit for the Digital Age, Beating Cancer and the New European Bauhaus as their integrated elements.

The 5 EU Missions

1. Adaptation to Climate Change: support at least 150 European regions and communities to become climate resilient by 2030
  2. Cancer: working with Europe’s Beating Cancer Plan to improve the lives of more than 3 million people by 2030 through prevention, cure and solutions to live longer and better
  3. Restore our Ocean and Waters by 2030
  4. 100 Climate-Neutral and Smart Cities by 2030
  5. A Soil Deal for Europe: 100 living labs and lighthouses to lead the transition towards healthy soils by 2030

In these days, CKIC has organised 4 infosessions on 1, 3, 4 and 5 examining the calls and acting as a connector for the consortia building within the CKIC community.

I have participated to 3 of these, namely Smart Cities, Soil and Food and Adaptation to Climate change (notes here). The third one is perhaps the most significant for us, but the other two host some interesting calls too.

All of the calls include citizen participation and citizen engagement elements, and some of these may be a very good fit for Edgeryders.
I am in contact with the potential leaders and will see what will come out of it.

Starting from the most interesting one:

Mission Adaptation to Climate Change

Miro board with the participants and interests.

The calls most in line with what we have been doing:

Local engagement of citizens in the co-creation of societal transformational change for climate resilience - TOPIC ID: HORIZON-MISS-2021-CLIMA-02-05
Potential consortium leader - Wageningen University and Research

Support to the regions in developing pathways towards climate resilience and corresponding innovation agendas - TOPIC ID: HORIZON-MISS-2021-CLIMA-02-02

Here, the potential leader is RISE, the Research Institute of Sweden.
Also, Marco Silva - CKIC is looking into this one.

Mission Climate - Neutral and Smart Cities

Miro board with the partners presentations

Here, the CKIC will lead only on one call - HORIZON-MISS-2021-CIT-02-03 Framework Partnership Agreement and the contact person is @ThomasOsdoba.
Relevant info here.

The other two interesting, but a bit broad for us, calls here are:

Mission Soil Health and Food

The name says it all, Miro board of the presentation for more details on the participants.

The two most interesting calls presented are:

Thanks Ivan, that’s good work.

Can you say more about what you have in mind?

Also, thanks to Nicola, I learned about an event next week focusing on the role of citizens in these calls. Can you please have a look and let me know if that’s of interest?

1 Like

Nothing specific for now, but SSNA works well in unexpected environments and I will keep looking for the opportunities to deploy it.

An update in the meantime:

After the todays brokerage event on the Adaptation to Climate Change & Climate-Neutral and Smart Cities, some conversations opened and will let you know how tyhey develop.

We have also been invited to pariticipate to the consortium building call on OCEANS-03-01: Mediterranean Sea basin Lighthouse - actions to prevent, minimise and remediate litter and plastic pollution, (where “lighthouses” are intended as “hubs and platforms supporting the development and deployment of transformative innovative solutions in all forms – technological, social, business, governance, ensuring fast progress towards the achievement of Mission objectives and important impact on society in the river and sea basins through science and technology”)

Regarding this:

Unfortunately I saw it too late to join, but will follow them because there are other events like this Engaging Citizen Science conference organised by Aarhus University on 25-26 April this year. Call for abstracts closed but I guess there is going to be a possibility to follow online.

1 Like

Good work. I await more info on what is expected of us.

1 Like