Event: Yanis Varoufakis' near-term sci-fi economics

Just leaving this here for those interested.

Yanis Varoufakis (heterodox economist and former Greek finance minister) will hold the final lecture in the series “Introduction to Pluralist Economics” at University of Tubingen, Germany, on (Mon) 2020-02-03 18:00. The title of the event is "Rethinking Economics - From an Economics-without-Captialism to Markets-without-Capitalism ", so I thought appropriate to label it “near-term Sci-Fi economics” above :slight_smile: The event is public, free of charge and in English.

And there will be live streaming.

7 Likes

Good entertainment for a boring evening in the hotel. I hope, I’ll be in time.
Are you at Uni Tübingen?

No, I rather have nothing to do with Uni Tübingen in particular. Just got notified about the event due to being part of DiEM25, the European party that Yanis co-founded, and I thought it could be interesting for the sci-fi economists gathering here :slight_smile:

I thought we could also write in German :-D. I studied at the University of Tübingen. That is why I asked.

1 Like

As a scholar, Varoufakis should have studied “virtual” economies (fake money used in video games). I do not know much about his work (and I do not know where I heard about it), but it does not seem too distant from a sci-fi view.

Hi @matthias - was the live stream recorded somewhere? I just found about this and would love to know what was discussed. If anyone took notes that would be really helpful as well!

I’m not aware of any existing recording, sorry.

Here it is! :slight_smile:

2 Likes