I chose this mission to be my first one because I think it is very challenging. I would begin by saying that we all have skills. Many of us don’t know that we have so many of them that we could do anything we wanted if we dared. There are lots of people who avoid writing a résumé because it is awfully painful. Thinking about YOUR skills, what YOU can do, what YOU’ve learnt to do is a difficult process. I remember when I first wrote my résumé - It took me 2 days to decide what I was going to write and even then, I wasn’t 100% pleased with it.
So what are skills? According to www.thefreedictionary.com, a SKILL means “Proficiency, facility, or dexterity that is acquired or developed through training or experience”. So let’s see how many skills I can think of right now…How many of them do you find yourself in?
- singing, or playing an instrument
- theatre, cinema (acting)
- sports.. from playing golf, to being able to cross the Channel by swimming, to football or ice skating
- being able to work independently
- analyse skills
- being self-motivated
- working under pressure
- getting along with other employees (yes, it is a skill!!)
- being organized
- communication skills
- stress management
- repairing shoes (I bet you haven't thought of that yet)
- organize projects
- writing (fiction, poems, plays,etc)
- being detail-oriented
- managing a budget
- mathematics: analysinc, calculus
- architecture, design
- being able to do teamwork
- time management
- working with specific computer software
- speaking in front of an audience
- handling data
- driving a car
As for me, I am pleased with I’ve learned so far, although I have moments when I ask myself “What if I had chosen another path in my life?” . When I don’t do that, I think of what I’ve learned and I realise I know so little! I often look up admiringly at my father and I am wondering when I will ever be able to know as much as him. But meanwhile, I am trying to develop my skills (some of them listed above), to become a reponsible, self-confident adult.
Most of all, my studies here in France helped me realise what my skills really are and I’ve become aware of the fact that you must NEVER underestimate yourself or your skills! Just have the guts and learn how to sell your skills!