Experiments in resilience in a small UK market-town

For 6 years I have been involved with Transition Stroud - one of over 300 initiatives globally attempting to deal with the issues of climate change, peak oil and economic turmoil through practical local projects and community-building. I am now one of 12 Directors of the Limited Company we set up to run various projects, and network the multitude of other organisations working locally on these and related issues.

In some ways, I feel like I am building my personal resilience - I am a qualified cycle mechanic (Cytek Level 1, which is a basic qualification, since you ask, but enough to get me by on my bike and help others), I cycle for almost all the journeys I make (thus am much less affected than most, at least directly, when oil prices spike), I grow some of my own food on an Allotment (in England, small patches of land are rented to people for small sums of money by local authorities), and I have a good network of friends and acquaintances in my street and local town who I know will all pull together to help each other when the need arises. But, while I’m developing my academic and work skills by studying for a PhD (on the resilience of certain organisations), beginning to work as a Lecturer, and volunteering on all manner of projects, I am extremely uncertain about the future, and about how our community might cope in the long-term following significant shocks. Though I feel like I have a good understanding of what the term ‘resilience’ means in everyday speech, and in various academic fields, I am less certain what it looks like in practice - at least, I am unsure what a community or society truly resilient to the enormous shocks we face in the future would look like.

In particular, I am concerned about producing enough food locally (not reliant on long-distance transport), and about employment - and the effects increased transportation costs have on the ability of people to travel to work.

People often cite my hometown - Stroud, Gloucestershire - as a frontrunner in the development of a resilient and sustainable local economy. But it still feels like we have a long way to go!

Yes, we have a very successful weekly Farmers’ Market - with produce largely from within a 50 mile radius of the town, and a couple of Community Supported Agriculture projects, not to mention several full allotment sites (with long waiting lists), and a town council interested in creating more. But our local area also falls within the food footprint of bigger settlements nearby - such as Gloucester and Bristol. How are we going to feed all these people in a world where yields and transportation of food is dramatically affected by peak oil and climate change?

Yes, we have a ‘Car Club’ where people share 4 communal vehicles, so they do not have to own their own car but have access to one. And we have some good train connections - to the nearest large town and to London, and a few decent bus services. But most bus services are terrible - especially for the many isolated rural settlements that make up our district, and unattractive to people. Public transport is prohibitively expensive, and provision for cyclists is poor (not to mention the hills!). There has been a lot of work and campaigning on improving infrastructure for cycling, but little action by local authorities. In Transition Stroud, we are looking into electric bike provision, and working out how we can best mobilise and put pressure on local authorities - but transport is a national policy issue, with provision privatised to large companies. How can we influence them? Or can we take this provision back into public ownership?

There is an ongoing debate locally about housing - mainly the opposition to construction in the countryside dominates media coverage, but discussion of the high prices of housing, the increasing difficulty young people have in finding accomodation in the places they grew up, is never far behind. Is there a solution to this conundrum that can also address the need for new build housing to be as energy efficient and environmentally sound as possible? Following my research on UK Building Societies (mutuals - cooperatives owned by their consumers - which were once the dominant mortgage lenders in the UK, and before that helped people to pool funds to build homes), I am involved in the tentative beginnings of a ‘Stroud REbuilding Society’ - the aim being to use a cooperative model to enable young people to access affordable, green, housing.

With others in Transition Stroud, I have been debating the difference between creating new ‘sustainable enterprises’ and creating resilient economies where we can reduce our reliance on money and hence on wage-labour, making life easier for the unemployed and those on low incomes, and enabling volunteering. We have a local currency (which can only circulate in the local town, and loses value over time so cannot be hoarded), and a TimeBank (where each hour of work donated is equal to another hour requested), and a good culture of voluntary groups and small enterprises. But national and local government cuts, and increased competition for funding is making much of this work considerably more difficult. We need to figure out how to build a new economy as the old one falls apart fast!

Maybe I am too pessimistic, and too focussed on the problems, and questions, than on the solutions. To counter this I will mention the events we have coming up:

In July we have organised four days of ‘Edible Open Gardens’, where 40 productive gardens, allotments and orchards will be open to the public, showcasing their growing methods and providing workshops from basic to advanced techniques (starting out and composting to wildlife gardening and soil micro-organisms). See here: http://www.transitionstroud.org/wpedibleopengardens/. I’ll bring some of the pamphlets we’ve made to advertise the weekend to the conference.

In September, we are running our 5th annual ‘Open Eco-Renovated Homes’ weekend, you can see videos and more from previous years here: http://www.stroudopenhomes.org.uk/. I’ll bring some printed material from previous years of this event too, if I can find it!

We’re also running a series of films - ‘Debtocracy’ and shorts on the Greek crisis and community responses, and ‘Just Do It!’, a film about UK climate activists.

There’s lots more too, but I guess it will have to wait for the conference. If any of the above has interested you, please comment below and I can elaborate.

Can we enroll you?

Hi James, this is really exciting stuff. It sounds like you people are making a stab to rewiring your local community for a more resilient economy.

Can I recommend you join Lucas, Vinay, Simone, myself and others in the Resilience breakout session? Join the team, there is a discussion going on as to how to make the most of it.

enrolled

Hi, I’ve enrolled on the Resilience theme (wanted to look at the Commons stuff too, but felt the pull of both my academic work and my fears for the future!). See you on Friday 15th, if not before…

Food mapping

Just disovered this food mapping tool which may be of interest to those interested in my report above:

http://www.foodmapper.org.uk/

If you live in the UK and know of initiatives, projects and land that are not listed, why not pass the information on?

Mapping food (and other resources)

I’ve been bookmarking mapping tools for some time now, particularly those with a focus on food, alternative economics and community development.  There are a lot of them about - which in some ways is good, although it means the data is dispersed - pity they aren’t all linked together.

Semantic web technologies and interoperability between various mapping platforms will eventually mean that data from different mapping tools will largely be aggregated and we should be able to search any area and find results from many different mapping tools.  There are various efforts in this direction.

With this in mind I like to favour mapping tools with open data, also open source mapping tools as they open more possibilities in an ‘open’ direction.

My bookmarks -

http://www.diigo.com/search?adSScope=my&what=gis&sort=updated&snapshot=no

Interoperability and coordination costs

Hi Darren,

I’m interested in this interoperability thing, mentioned it during the better support session at #edgecamp. Do you have example of those kinds of initatives?

My guess is that the coordination and facilitation cost for a useful outcome is often underestimated. Because it is sort of invisible- you see the outcome in the end but not the value of the contributions that made it happen. Which is why I think Ola’s approach with his project of how is interesting. And I think it’s relevant to understand in our case what kinds of invisible efforts and participants in are essentional to the success of projects that contribute to the common good. I wonder for example about the Open Source Ecology project- where is the social glue coming from…is it just the shared purpose that drives it or is some solid work going into the community building and who is doing it under which conditions…

I seem to remember Elf mentioning personal projects aimed at achieving tech interoperability between different initiatives to better enable us to support each other’s projects. I wonder which ones are working and what the main challenges are in building more technical interoperability: http://edgeryders.ppa.coe.int/where-edgeryders-dare/mission_case/travelling-moneyless-berlin-reflections-road

Interoperability and co-ordination

I guess its best if coordination can be as automated as possible, saving the necessity for individuals to have to work hard pulling things together.  Also I guess giving some structure to interactions / work makes things easier.

Examples of interoperability -

http://www.w3.org/community/fedsocweb/

I follow this stuff a bit but I’m not a coder or data cruncher so I guess others would have a better handle on this stuff.

I’m involved around the edges of Open Source Ecology.  As far as I can tell it operated largely on the huge efforts of the founder and love of those who liked it - until recently when major funding started to flow and, I think, individuals were recruited to help with the organisation / co-ordination.

There have been a few efforts to make the organisation/co-ordination more stream lined by using agile / scrum software development methods.  The adoption of this has been a bit bumpy and is still under development, but to some degree, it appears to be working.  It needs some work to organise and educate about the methodology and the time and self discipline of individuals to ensure that there is really good documentation (comprehensive updates of work done / work that needs doing).

Here is the ‘working’ page on the OSE wiki

http://opensourceecology.org/wiki/Flashy_XM

The great thing about this methodology is that, if done right, it facilitates swarming on the work load.  If people see value they can take on and complete tasks.  Tasks are made as small as possible so its easy to complete.

Get enough people intersted in your work, organise well and then be amazed at how quickly things happen.

Best

Darren

PS that is the second time an Edgeryder has mentioned ‘Project of How’ to me in less than 12 hours… guess I’m going to have to take a good look.

Big word

“Automated” is a very big word in these contexts, Darren. Even the better standardized examples tend to be quite messy. I participate in the open data movement, and in principle everyone is all semantic; but at the end of the day you always have to do manual work to mesh up any two datasets. In fact, you very often have to do some manual cleanup even to use just one dataset. The more interoperable dataset is not one that is designed according to state-of-the-art specs and then left alone, but one that has somebody who cares for it standing guard. That person can help anyone who wants to use the data make sense of what is not immediately clear, will patiently check new data as they come in to make sure they stack well with those that are already in there, try to keep the dataset up-to-date etc.

I don’t disagree with you: you should still try to plan for interoperability to be built in. But even with the best plan full automation is likely to be very difficult or impossible.

Interoperability

Yeah Alberto I’ve done some bits of data masssaging and it can be very time consuming.

Some stuff is automatically interoperable though.

A while back I noticed that this mapping site - http://sharefoodforest.org/ (which appears to use mapquest) was showing the same data and using the same icons as this Incredible Edible google map - http://s.coop/rh1x

I was thinking that sharefoodforest was somehow pulling data automatically from the google map but I notice looking now that there is new data on the google map that is not replicated on sharefoodforest.

Having just looked at the Sharefoodforest map again I notice that if you click top right of the map their are KML files you can tick on/off- I’m guessing these have somehow been downloaded from google maps - not sure if this could be automated??  Guess it should somehow be possible?

There is also this Extension:Semantic Maps - MediaWiki and there are other efforts that I’ve seen to make mapping data more interoperable but I forgot to bookmark them :frowning:

Obviously occasionally you get data that has been entered incorrectly etc. and I can see that human intervention is likely always to be sometimes needed (if only to update entries). If the entry process is designed carefully errors should be less frequent.  I like the wikipedia model - open up the editing process, then if people find a tool valuable they will share the work of editing dodgy data rather than it all resting on the shoulders of a few admins.

Coder remarks

Yes, you do have some good pointers on existing ways to achieve data interoperability. Yet as a coder, I mostly have to agree with Alberto: data is still sooo messy these days.

The only thing worse than no standards is too many standards, and we seem to be in this time of evolving standards. People are trying out new data formats and richer forms of representation, and that’s ok - it will take some more years before the mist clears up.

We could be faster with this cleanup if the first thing everyone does when involved in an open data related project is agreeing with the global community on a common solution before implementing something own. But then again, grassroots decision mechanisms for agreeing on global data standards are missing …

. So far, a standard confusion cleanup happens mostly when one ingenious and hard-woring single project’s group produces the biggest and best data set in their area, and others take it over.

In our startup, we’re using Freebase as one source of open data (in this case, about products, but they also deal with everything else). Just one example of the standard mess, as they develop their own data structures - but it’s one of the larger examples, so maybe some of their proposals will be accepted as industry standards one day.

So, there’s still a lot of work before we reach full data automation :slight_smile: