Extinct birds, fly fishing and getting youth outside

Hi Folks,

Alberto recommended that I share my recent projects to see if there feedback from the group. Thank you for your time.

Project 1
By many accounts, we are on the brink of a mass extinction caused by loss of habitat, pollution and overcollecting. I just recent finished the first part of a project (book, website and exhibition) that investigates the history of extinction in contemporary society by examining 17 extinct bird species. The project’s website is www.extinctbirdsproject.com. I focused most of my attention on these 17 species but there are over 130 other birds that have gone extinct in the past few centuries. The project investigates cultural, economic and natural influences that have affected the extinct species and continue to affect other endangered ones. By presenting this information in an accessible and interesting manner, those see the exhibition or view the book and website, can be better informed in making important decisions in the future. The project investigated extinctions in New Zealand, India, Australia, Madagascar, Brazil, United States, and Mexico. Our hope is to investigate extinct species in other countries so that a more global perspective is included. I would be interested in working with communities in these countries and working together and making this information accessible.

Project 2
We are working with educators and community leaders in western New York as well as parts of the northeastern part of the United States to provide education to students on issues that negatively affect their environment. By introducing children to flyfishing, the sport becomes provides experiential experiences outside and an interesting element in the curriculum that gets children outside to engage with their environment while investigating how economics, physics, biology, literature and art are connected to flyfishing, The sport is the thread the links all of these disciplines together. The three-day workshop for the educators and community members introduces how each participant can integrate this new information and perspective into their classes and how to start new programs in their region if they are so inclined. The workshops also allow for lively discussion as everyone gets to also share their expertise and perspectives. The program has been very successful to date with new programs and new direction occurring throughout the region. For more information, please go to www.childreninthestream.com. We are looking to expand the program beyond our region and are looking for support to make this happen in other communities around the world.

Thank you and let me know what you think.

Kind regards,
Alberto

3 Likes

Hi @albertorey, it’s interesting to see you back after exactly one year…

So work is going well!
Do you see any possibility to work with Edgeryders or use online conversations as add ons to your projects?

Absolutely… I might have another major project starting in January with a community and university who want me to create an exhibition, book and programming about a river and watershed in their area who has been affected by industrial pollution and has had with some success in restoring their waters.

1 Like