Feedback from the Lab?

Were you at the Sci-Fi Economics Lab? If you were, and you have any feedback to share, please let us know by replying to this thread.

Some useful links:

• Shared notes from the keynote event
  • Video recording of the keynote event
  • Documentation from the brainstorming session.
  • In the #earthos:sci-fi-economics subcategory, you will also find several threads concerning new economics draft papers or proposed papers, that the Lab plans to work on during 2020.

We plan to further enrich and polish the documentation, and will be publishing it in the coming weeks.

2 Likes

Not exactly feedback but thought it fits with the links above:

I have uploaded Cory’s keynote in this Google Doc*. It might be of interest to others who, like me, found Cory to be too fast a talker (as his disclaimer warned us).

If anyone wants to correct the text, go ahead - the doc is editable and in desperate need of cleaning. (I know I’ll be doing some.)

*Just took the autogenerated captions and formatted them a bit. All punctuation and paragraph organization is mine, and most probably wrong :slight_smile:

1 Like

In my view, the birth itself of the Sci-Fi Economics lab is meaningful. Thank you to have conceived the Lab and engaged to make it happen.

This note is about the event. I know that this is only part of the Lab, but it was the one that I could follow the most. Some brilliant insights came from the event, but I think we should avoid the shallow mentioning of concepts that the Lab should help to scrutinize in-depth, instead.

Example. In a Sci-Fi Economics Lab event, I would expect that the concept of “commons” – dropped in the talk as an easy, non-problematic, issue – is critically examined through the perspectives offered by SF and fantastic fiction, economy, ecology, etc.

Maybe defining and circumscribing the concepts to be discussed is an idea worth to be considered in future events. Some mainstream and already explored examples (non-proposals): what Houyhnhnms society in “Gulliver’s Travels” and the Morlocks-Eloi scenario in H.G. Wells’ “The Time Machine” can tell us about “Inequality”?

The impressive work done in the Edgeryders’ wiki on the selection of books and authors gives a lot of potential starting points, worth to be brought under the spotlight of the main event.

I expect to hear from economists that believe in imagination as a tool for improving research in disciplines dominated by the “no-alternative" narratives, and “non-economists” who acknowledge the unavoidable questions of economics. In my view, at the event, the latter perspective was mostly neglected.

I see the Lab as a tool to making the economy, science, fiction and ecology consolidated frames collide and contaminate in new ways. This is why I appreciated the final remarks on irony. Irony is the attitude of being involved and detached, ‘in the frame’ and out of it at the same time. Irony implies humility and curiosity. This, in my view, is the way forward.

2 Likes

Well put.

Maybe the answer is in your comment about scrutinizing concepts like the “commons”. It seems to me that sometimes they get hastily paved over to help us reach our destination. Instead they could be the playground for economists and non-economists to Make Something Different That Works, Together (no copyright or trademark claimed :slight_smile: ).

1 Like