Discover: The Rich Statistical Resources of the SingStat Website and Mobile App
Chew Ying Lin, Statistical Information Services, DOS
- Very good, very knowledgeable
Stat resources available for public access
Portal for all the official statistics in Singapore
Q: When does data become big?
- Pretty info graphics
- But also used to teach users statistics! This is interesting
Can send in data request forms to statistical information services
Latest data page presents data from the latest 2 periods
Sing Stat Table Builder
Free access from 60 public sector agencies
Build and customize tables, export charts
17k series, 170 topics
You can save, and the data will update
When handing out prizes, had lots of participation!
As opposed to what C said about crowd participation (e.g. At the play)
But… This was in a test format
SingStat Mobile App
Useful app, lets you select indicators across
Big data is fine if you are only interested in predicting patterns, but not sufficient if you want to understand the underlying causes
- And sometimes it doesn’t predict patterns (e.g. Drone strike in Yemen)
What we learn (perhaps take Doris as an example)
What we don’t (does Doris like being monitored by a computer and not by people?)
Planned release dates
Can you do what the app does on the computer?
Data if we want to just look at one area or estate? *****
- Released as part of publication
- Under general household survey 2015
- Home — statistics----by theme----
○ You can see zones and sub zones
- Visual form
○ Population query
○ OneMap *************
○ Plots data you see on the map
○ Can look by planning area or sub zone
○ Can overlap the services
Demographic of talk : large age range. Pretty equal gender balance, slightly male shifted. Quite a few older men and women (above 55)
Exposing data via API on data.gov.sg?
- Not yet, but we do share our datasets on data.gov
- We share as much as possible
Data.gov.sg does not give much information about their methodology. You have to search.
Describing what data is, but does not contain specific methodologies
You mention that we can write in to inquire— is it a free service?
- Point to data already available in public domain, no charge
- If it is too specific of a requirement, we inform you and there may be a charge
- We have other services, like sampling services **** for household services
○ Quite expensive though!!!
Happy to help! (There is a phone number as well)