Free Houses in Gangi Village (Sicily, Italy)

Hello fellow Edgeryders!

The Municipality of Gangi on Sicily, Italy are giving away free houses to anyone who would like to renovate the properties to a certain extent (and reboot the economy). Can this be interesting for the unMonastery-project or the Edgeryders community in general? I just want to let all Edgeryders know about the possibilities in Gangi!

Please contact the municipality if you’re interested to get a house even if it isn’t connected to Edgeryders!

Blog Post about the release: This Empty Sicilian Town is Giving away Free Houses

Press Release from Municipality of Gangi at Sicily, Italy: http://www.comune.gangi.pa.it/sportellodoc/free_houses.pdf

I did not find any forum at Edgeryders to post in so I’m putting this up as a project if anyone is interested to bring forward. I am not sure this has already been mentioned in any other community communication channels. Let me know where this offer fits in an existing project on Edgeryders and I will delete this project and add it as a comment to that one.

Similar ghost towns to revitalize(?):

Image: File:Gangi SS Salvatore.JPG - Wikipedia CC-BY-SA 3.0

4 Likes

Great!

Potentially a great initiative! Can you say more about yourself (your profile page is empty: no name of picture or anything) and the project? Do you live in Gangi, yourself, and are you willing to lead the initiative? How do you envision the life of people who move in? Will locals be welcoming or skeptical? Or both?

I suggest you create a post to explain this. Create it from this group, and also use the “Your Groups” field to assign it to the unMonastery group on Edgeryders. You may have to navigate to the unMonastery group home page and join it by clicking on the “Follow” button.

The same thing is happening in Spain.

Some are for sale, some are free, but they’re in mainland Spain (Galicia) which may be more convenient than travel to/from Sicily for some.

Further explanation of potential Gangi project

Hi Alberto, thanks for feedback, here’s my post to answer your questions:

• Potentially a great initiative! Can you say more about yourself (your profile page is empty: no name of picture or anything) and the project?

I wish to not share more info about myself at this point (except questions below). This post was just the quickest way I found to share the opportunity with this community.

• Do you live in Gangi, yourself, and are you willing to lead the initiative?

No I do not. As it looks now I will not lead this initiative. I just wanted to share this to see if there was interest from this community to take it on. Please take info & post @Edgeryders where relevant.

• How do you envision the life of people who move in? Will locals be welcoming or skeptical? Or both?

I have no idea. I do not know how the municipality has done this process. This is for the ones interested to run this initiative to discover. All the possibilities are there.

Aha

Ok. So, you basically found this on the Internet and wanted to share it? It is still useful, and I for one am grateful you did it, but not as tempting as an offer made by someone actively involved would be.

Background

Yes I got an advice from a person at my education (Kaospilot.dk) who thought this could be a suitable exam project. Will see in August if some of my peers have picked up on the idea and I can connect them to the Edgeryders community. :slight_smile:

Did this move ahead?

Curious. I note that there is a massive waitlist for these houses now.

No

Italy is littered with depopulating and abandoned villages. There are several issues to consider e.g  distance to nearest airport and whether there are functioning transport options or whether you are stuck with a car etc.  If you are interested  there seems to be a lot happening in Portugal. I know  @vvorski and evegenia are setting up earthskylab. earth there and @Pietro has been living there for a while. There seems to be a lot of activity in the tech scene: Felix Petersen (plazes) has moved and that posh london coworking  space that I cannot rememebr the name of right now is setting up a new venture in Lisbon I think.