Funding 2.0 Edgecamp session: "Dear Funders" letter

Ah!

Well put James, so facilitating this in the most efficient manner possible, this a great start. There are many groups forming and creating solutions in their fields , how to increase inter-connective processes?

Ok so at least one person who works with this stuff is up for…

Having a conversation about. I got in touch with people who at least play some role in drafting the procedures and requirements for EC funding and they´d be up for doing a webinar. Anyone interested in helping maken this happen? Anthony?

I can probably help with this a little

Hi Nadia,

Just to let you know, I’m on good terms with the crew from my masters in EU project development, it’s run by an EU project and I can possibly get a hold of our course of lectures from this year, there could be some hoops or loops to work round and through but it can be done. There is also Roberta Mancini an Italian Lawyer with the EU and a project manager herself. We had lovely chats and she was hopeful to hear of some light somewhere in the tunnel. I think she might contribute to something like edgeryders, and let me tell you, this woman is a machine. She just goes, a fountain of efficient and highly and specifically relevant information on tap. Another ‘fountain of all wisdom’ :wink: The guy that runs our project Andrea Debelju from Croatia , is assisted by another Italian, Allesandro Viola, and work through the EPA offices in Brussels. their project is like the 3d printer of EU project development, it’s an eu project set up to prepare eu project developers. They have a course of material, all of the lectures, available online through their site my-Europa.com . Let me know if you want me to chase anything in this.

Cool, connect with Ksenia and Noemi in taking it forward?

Good to hear from you, how’s life treating you? Im back on after mad moving period. Nice to be able to be back on Edgeryders more, I missed everyone :slight_smile:

Yes this, would definitely be helpful I think…to get a deeper understanding of the logical framework, and what constraints bodies that are supposed to be supporting us in our attempts solve the challenges we are faced with operate under. Would you maybe connect with Anthony, Ksenia and Noemi in exploring this further?

<3

so did anyone get busy with a webinar yet?

Whats the plan?

I think the idea of the webinar is great. Before we sort out a real-live #LOTE2

So should we start eating the elephant by it’s webinar part?

What are the bits we are eating the webinar part of the elephant, how about these:

-write down the mission: why are we doing it, which outcomes are we aiming at?

-come up with clear main theme.

-list participants and invite them to join.

-sort out technical stuff: which platforms do we use for that?

-which format does the webinar takes: schedule for live streamed sessions, for example.

-how long is the preparation takes.

Who eats which part?

Linking ideas, skills, projects and needs seems like a good mission. It will be interesting to invite incubators and soc innov related governmental structures to join.

May be certain projects which are conducted on the small scale can be prototyped elsewhere where it is needed, or get support in the location they already conducted and get more efficient.

There are quite a few needs, generated ideas and skills acquired out there,

so we can dedicate a webinar to linking them, rather than generating more ideas.

Sometimes it is difficult to map skills, before you have a map of needs, and so on, so mapping all that at the same time might work. As far as I understand this post is very close to what I am saying.

http://edgeryders.ppa.coe.int/help-build-june-conference/mission_case/thoughts-after-lote-edgecamp

2 birds at once?

Still in the planning phase and list of to dos. the end of June is an important turning point for some of us in the team as well, sorry for not replying sooner.  K, I just have to say you’re great!  amazingly full of energy and it’s getting contagious :slight_smile:

I’d be up for this and offer to help with organizing it… it has a nice advantage of being another #Lote meeting, online though.

Why are we doing it: the way I see it is 2 things:

1. discuss where the specific weak spots in funding procedures are, that we can address directly in a proposal and have a higher chance to succeed. from the point of view of funders AND people who have applied for funding before - see where these 2 could meet.

and 2. for some of us this could be a crash course on applications strategy, getting funding and what works when: see discussion below started by Alberto on organizations vs networked individuals, credibility issues, bureaucracy/ reporting, size of funding available etc.  This can work in that we may end up coming up with a group of interested Edgeryders or a taskforce that will go deeper in these issues. also in view of our future association or ngo with a legal status… which is also ongoing and on the list we’d like to pursue as community.

so the topic would be Funding?

This sounds like a good idea.

There are resources and funding out there, but, similarly to the school grading schools, the results are often depend on how long one’s bum sustains sitting on the chair.

Challenges with registering a legal personality though vary from country to country.

On one end of a stick it’s corruption, on the other hand, where cirruption

is low, there is perfectionism.

Another point abt webinar: we might combine it with real meetups edgeryders set up in different locations and stream it.

IMO doesn’t matter which platform, set the date 1st

Just a quick question: did you happen to get in touch with Nadia’s contact?

We’re going to need somebody taking charge - making some arrangements and a big call to the community…, otherwise I don’t see it happen.

I’m sending you an email about the legal identity, but that’s a different story… maybe sort that out first and then the webinar?

noemi

platform for a webinar

I been using this couple of times: http://www.blackboard.com/Platforms/Collaborate/Overview.aspx

There is a free demo. It is a bit slow and weird though, feels like you travelled back in time.

Any tech wisepeople can suggest a good platform for a webinar? Should we just streamline it on bambuser?

webinar sounds good, I’m in.

Webinar is a good start. Should we distribute tasks for that one, and outline wht we have already? And what do we need?

I can mobilize all my social capital from the hood.

How about starting a group for that?

Great !

Sounds like 8th wonderland, love the idea !

It could be a grat way to share ideas and projects.

Ok someone get in touch with @prabprab

He knows  a bit about this funding/ support stuff from inside a large funding organisation (European Commission) and shared his email address on Twitter so I guess it’s ok to post it here. I got in touch with him on twitter and sent him a link to this discussion and he seems up for doing a webinar around the questions and ideas raised. Could be helpful to have the proposals questioned. If someone wants to look him up and get in touch about set up the webinar with him here is the address:

prabhat.agarwal@ec.europa.eu

Sounds like its “Youth in Action” programme

I have already shared this somewhere… This is info on support for youth projects from Comission:

http://ec.europa.eu/youth/youth-in-action-programme/how-to-participate_en.htm

http://ec.europa.eu/youth/youth-in-action-programme/actions_en.htm

But, you reckon a webinar needs fund raising?

Should we write a concrete description of the webinar and set the date?

What are the topics?

What is the aim?

Do we have a special mission for a webinar prep?

The form sounds great, but what it will be about, and who should be in?

Maybe follow up with @demsoc ?

Perhaps something to identify is what questions this initiative ould gain from having answered by people who design funding processes, what concerns they have to address…why the funding procedures look like they do? Anthony might have more specific questions in mind…maybe ping him? The idea with the webinar I think would be to have a discussion around some of the proposals in the letter to figure out what questions they would have to answer in order to flesh them out more.

SALTO: tool by European Commission

If we want to conduct a real event or, for a start, a webinar,

we might register here:

First as an informal group, but also as a future official association.

I’m now in contact with a few incubators in Malmo, which might help me to choose the best way of going official.

I been thinking of something like Association 2.0, by which I mean: legal entity structure to interact with authorities and organisations combined with human and participatiry soft network structure for designing activities and projects.

It can be tricky, but possible, if we work on it.

have you seen projects funded by EC in 2010?

http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=1022&amp;langId=en

Still same EC source.

Practical info abt registering a non profit in Sweden

Non profit in Sweden should be registered as Ideel Förening. Thats what it called.

The requirements are, pretty much like anywhere else:

-have to have an accountant

-have to have a board and rules for election of the board.

-register with tax: what is tax exempt and what isn’t is another story, i’ll look

into it later.

Tax issues are a bit more boring in Sweden, because they really really like their tax system. But it’s all feasable.

Here are fees:

Google translate of the fees for registration:

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&amp;tl=en&amp;js=n&amp;prev=_t&amp;hl=ru&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;layout=2&amp;eotf=1&amp;u=http%3A%2F%2Fbolagsverket.se%2Fpriser_avgifter%2Fideell_forening%2F

How it is in france

It’s pretty complicated in france as well. I didnt’t look a lot about how to build an ong, but we made some searches on how to build something that could match for a non-profit organisation.

Here’s the discussion in french : http://demopolitique.com/node/45

We realised in the end that a cooperative would be the better solution. Recently, i found another kind of cooperative made for non-profit products or services : a SCIC, a status for public interest cooperative. It has a few interesting points, but it’s still pretty complicated to build one, as usual. The good point is that in france, it’s “easy” to make an association (not sure of the translation) and then to transform it to a SCIC.

Anyway, the most annoying part of it all is that if you wanna make profits, it is easy to start something.

If you don’t want to make profits and just help people, it starts to get difficult.

Creating a foundation or an ONG just seem impossible without massive people, energy and various supports.

EDGERYDERS FOLLOW UP ?

Posted this 5 days ago on

http://edgeryders.ppa.coe.int/we-people-session

Just noticed this thread - any updates ?

I wish to share what I sent via mailinglist :

Thanks to each of you who supported the organization of the Edgeryders conference.

I was sceptical at first, with very low expectations - I am glad of the memes and engaged people the conference managed to converge during this short period of time.

I hope that the online platform will be kept online - if not through the council of europe, through other means.

Though I did not choose to engage in the organization of this conference, I am willing to support some form of continuation - without having in mind the need for a COE endorsement.

I wish to suggest a permanent low cost collective,

And as a first step, I imagine a gathering in a less formal setting,
such as in the middle of nowhere in nature, for a more extended period of time ( 10 days ? )

///

Furthermore,

I realize that the Edgeryders platform and project has been, and is used, by researchers and policy makers.  I wish to have much more access to this process of "research" ( other then that of being a studied specimen ), and of policy making.

Is there a open process where we can have access to, and interact, with such policy makers and researchers, as peers, rather then a ginnypegs being studied ?

I must raise my concerns about the risk for "Tokenism"

Other then the processes in which many participants where already engaged in, independently and autonomously from the COE, empowered through common intentions and projects enabled through face to face meetings and online communication,

what is the role of the COE ? or more precisely, what is the role of its endorsement of this event ?  What true power does it have in bringing forward policies and/or supporting the web of projects, the commons, social economy, resilience through distributed / non centralised approaches ? 

What are the true interests shared between edgeryder related memes, and ( centralized,  european ) institutions ?

Is there a long term partnership possible ?
How can such memes translate and be embedded within institutions themselves ?

Can Edgeryders serve a role as some kind of long term "api" ?

Or will Edgeryders remain as a punctual historic event ?

Thanks for your attention, and all the work.

Greetings from Brussels,
Dante

Let’s gather !

The online platform will stay until the end of the year at least, no worries about that.

If we want support from the CoE, we will have to wait until september at least, and i'm not willing to wait for that, so do you and probably others willing to continue sharing and working together.

"And as a first step, I imagine a gathering in a less formal setting,
such as in the middle of nowhere in nature, for a more extended period of time ( 10 days ? )"

It's exactly what i'd love to be part of.
Being in a place like the council of europe was really distrubing.
The university place was better, but there was still lack of nature to feed the body and soul. We all went out of it exhausted.
Having a web connection doesn't seem that necessary if we are here to share ideas and projects, but having electricity is a must have as we are all used to work on computers.

Helene Finidori just reminded me there is a etherpad to talk about what's coming next : http://pad.telecomix.org/pelgutus started by Ladynasian a week ago.
We could organise our ideas and willings with it.

I agree ER platform isn't really made for organising such events, i often feel lost in the middle of all these mission reports.
We are actually talking about the future of our community on a topic about a letter to our funders with already more than 30 contributions, it's not that relevant.

It seems relevant to start thinking about our community as something independant from any institution and gather our projects and efforts in the same place.

The discussions we are already having in this place go in the right direction, looking for independancy and the way ot organise our community and make things happen, but it's starting to become a bit messy to find precedently said informations.