Funding 2.0 Edgecamp session: "Dear Funders" letter

@ Nirgal, Dante

You are both very pertinent in your questions and observations, and this really is the momentum to advance what we started at Lote and Edgecamp. Starting this summer Edgeryders platform becomes a take off space for great initiatives and people coming together… with or w/out other CoE specific goals.  we are a community,  more and more a self-organizing one, and the Council will in no way hinder our activities… of course we can meet, of course you can start planning the meetup, make it a general call. unfortunately at the moment there’s no money to support precisely that.

However, to answer Dante’s question, as part of the initial plan is and remains building a good  collaboration between the community and the team of professionals/ researchers now working to make sense of our experiences and find connections with policy work. we all are still thinking which channel could work best, and perhaps that etherpad will work, I don;t remember who suggested it but it seemed at Lote people wanted to edit simultaneously. too soon to tell though, and it’s not set in stone IMO, but it can be if more and more people start using it and it works. So stay insured you and us all will be part of the whole research process as we are going to work on the documents. Plus, Nadia and Malcolm are looking into whether we could produce 2 documents - 1 entirely by the community.

Regarding the edgeryders platform and potential messyness, I actually see this as our home. true, not perfect, but I find it easier to follow content in here than on several google docs, etherpads and pirate pads: for example the discussion below on creating a formal organization/ association has been continued by Darren here, but with no guarantee that ppl see it: https://lite.co-ment.com/text/PtlReql6guK/view/

The solution for me would be post mission reports per subject and add the link to a wiki editing doc in there, so that people find a way to access it, at the same time continuing discussions in the thread to be visible for everyone on Edgeryders. According to settings, you can be notified via email when a new post or comment is uploaded.

International Not For Profit in Belgium

An interesting status in Belgium.
A number of international not for profit organizations choose this legal framework, under Belgium Law :

details in french :

http://www.coj.be/fichejurid_48.htm

I am based in Brussels - if you are interested in setting one up, we need to be 3 people ( does not matter where we are from ), and thenneed a few hundred euros to make it go through the procedures with the notary.

An Edgeryders organisation?

Noemi, K and myself have been working on some ideas for creating an Edgeryders organisation to support the projects and collaborations of individuals within the Edgeryders network.

We are really keen to get as much input as possible on how to take this forward and have started another mission to discuss this here

Will this letter be sent?

Hello Edgeryders.  I wonder, are there plans to send this letter (or a version of it) to any funders?  I’m keen to know whether this is going to be used to directly open up a communication channel here.  I’d like to reference the letter in the Handbook (or whatever it will be called) and I want to provide the most up-to-date picture.

Very valid point

I have just been incorporated into activities for a performnce at the socap12 conference in which I would love to incorporate pieces of this text. With the authors permission I will use parts of it.

It should be used and gotten out there, any more ideas on is?

Libre

It’s open as far as I’m concerned, use what you like. It’s not “my work” except in so far as I pulled the ideas of others together.

A

cough shuffle

Hello.

Yes it will be sent, at least to some people. It’s rather high up my guilt list after four months’ inactivity, but I’m going to be reworking it in the light of the comments below, and will post it on my blog, and here.

I’ve been asked to send it to the Chief Executive at the Corporation of London, which has a rather large charitable endowment, because he’s keen to explore new ways of using their charitable foundation. I’m going to send it to a couple of others as well.

Thanks for the prompt (honestly)

Anthony

Thanks!

Thanks Anthony.  Keep us updated with the responses you get!

B

Thanks you all!!

I’m really glad to see the letter has been reviewed and finished and it will be sent to the world. :slight_smile:

Many thanks, Anthony, and everybody that contributed.

p.

Make it open perhaps?

Anthony and all, first of all congrats for a great job. I would recommend this is framed as an open letter: I think it could resonate with quite a lot of people - I, for one, would not mind a link to share with some civil servants, both in Rome and in Brussels.

So here’s my suggestion: why don’t you add a paragraph to the effect that the letter was written collaboratively blah blah blah, an let us know when it goes online? Collaborators (and possibly Edgeryders in general, even when they did not participate) would probably be happy to help push it out on Twitter, Facebook etc., point it to like-minded politicians and civil servants etc.

What say you?

Ta-dah

Right, final draft here:

I’ll post it on my blog in the next couple of days and then it can go out into the world.

Thanks again for the prompt.

A

Letter published

Here’s the final version: http://www.demsoc.org/2012/09/25/dear-funders/

sent

So, in the days approaching the SoCap12 conference, convening social entrepreneurs , hacktivists, philanthropists, foundations, and impact investors, this has been sent to the convener Kevin Doyle Jones, the captain of the ship I’m currently on here in SF.

I will continue to get it out there to those who count to see what their reactions are…I am expecting sharing a few laughs aswell as some inspiring conversations, there are many perspectives in this pond…

My full name is Eimhin David Shortt and I would appreciate being added to the list of co-authors as I cant say that I don’t want to be named on it, this kind of thing helps, thanks.

Next stop, the social business summit in Vienna November 7th

…connecting the elders…

Thanks

That change made, thanks for sharing it.

Now we have Edgefund?!?

Does anybody know this British initiative?

It seems right up our street. Anthony, one more thing: can you add me to the list of signatories? Sorry, I had managed to miss there was one!

Edgefund are new to me. Only small grants at the moment but could be useful.

As for the letter, yes of course.