German community manager

@noemi @Jan

I’ve drafted an advert for the German CM on the basis of the advert you sent me, Noemi. Does it look OK?

Populist Rebellion in 21st-century Central and Eastern Europe (POPREBEL) is an EC Horizon 2020 project seeking to explain the rise of populism/illiberalism in Central and Eastern Europe and to find ways to resist populist and illiberal rhetoric and action. We are focused on understanding people’s own perspectives on these issues to inform long-term strategies and policies. We currently convene a set of four large online conversation spaces in Polish, Czech, Serbian and English, where people discuss these issues and on which Edgeryders performs continuous ethnographic analysis. This analysis will then be used by the POPREBEL consortium and the EC in their policy initiatives.

We will soon be adding a German-language conversation space and are thus looking to hire a German-speaking online community manager to collaborate with us on this project. The project runs for three years in total but this work will run for approximately 21 months, starting in February 2020, on a part-time basis (about 20% of your time or about 8 hrs/week).

Requirements:

Experience desirable, but not strictly necessary if you are an experienced participant in online communities.

Fluent in German and English.

Able to work part-time without set hours, during the day or night, with strong time-management skills.

Good writing skills. Able to advance a conversation by interacting constructively with others.

You need to be open, accepting, tolerant and a good listener. At the same time, you need to be able to maintain civil discussions and manage conflicts when emotions run high.

Passionate and reasonably knowledgeable about the subject matter of POPREBEL’s goals.

A good collaborator, who works well with a team and takes direction from management when needed.

Your professional and personal network includes people involved in social activism.

Tasks:

Participate in, moderate and be responsible for ongoing online conversations about the rise of populism and illiberalism and related issues.

Add to conversations by providing links to reference material, articles and papers when appropriate.

Maintain a lively and civil atmosphere. Mediate conflicts when necessary.

Organise the topics to minimise clutter.

Help other participants with the platform when they need or request it.

Assist in outreach efforts that include scheduled group video calls and attending local live NGI events organized by Edgeryders.

Workplace:

You can do the work online, from wherever you are, but you may be requested to participate in one or more physical meetings. And there will be a required two-day training session in XXX. Your travel expenses for these meetings will be covered. We coordinate and communicate through the Edgeryders platform.

How to apply:

Study the POPREBEL website (https://populism-europe.com/poprebel), so you understand the project and its scope.

Post a reply to this topic below, and tell us why you are motivated to join the team, about your interests and current work, or any life story you think is meaningful. When you write it, consider the following questions:

What experiences have you had that are most related to POPREBEL? What stories can you share?

Does your own network of colleagues and friends discuss issues relating to the rise of populism/illiberalism? Are any of them involved in social activism related to these issues?

Include a link or reference to your CV (preferably online).

Applications will be reviewed as they are received until the opening is filled.

2 Likes

Noemi is on holiday and cannot reply… AFAIC, I think it works very well. I would add the compensation offered in the description part, and make sure to give it an informative title (“Now hiring: German community manager…”).

Shared to ssb (ref: %iJc4HwLIWzv4++BBkuoU0sQZP3JvFjMog6qHpoocrCc=.sha256 ) for those that may/may not be here.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, @Emile!

1 Like

@alberto Thanks for the feedback!

@Emile Thanks for doing that. I have updated the job advert to include the salary and the link to the advert on the Wellbeing in Europe / International section and on the Facebook site.

@Noemi When you are back from your holidays, I’d be grateful for other suggestions of where to post it.

Happy holidays, Richard

@alberto @Emile @Noemi

Updated version here: Now hiring: German community manager

A friend, German Community Management maven Tanja Laub, has told me that this woman is qualified, reliable and interested:
ulrike.rosina@gmail.com

and linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/ulrike-rosina-a3800565

2 Likes

I recommended she get in touch of course, but I would not hesitate to just contact her and begin a dialogue.

The German platform “wechange” (wechange.de) might be a good place to spread the news as well. If no full-blooded edgeryder is present on that platform, I can copy/paste the text with a link to the respective topic on the edgeryders platform there.

3 Likes

Thank you, Felix. That would be great!

Thank you, John. Will do!

Tanja’s recommendation carries a lot of weight. She might be the leading German in the field…

Done (cannot be publicly linked here, but whoever is on wechange.de: the announcement is in the “Forum”, posted just now, 2020-01-06_1140).

2 Likes