Now hiring: German community manager

Populist Rebellion in 21st-century Central and Eastern Europe (POPREBEL) is an EC Horizon 2020 project seeking to explain the rise of populism/illiberalism in Central and Eastern Europe and to find ways to resist populist and illiberal rhetoric and action. We are focused on understanding people’s own perspectives on these issues to inform long-term strategies and policies. We currently convene a set of four large online conversation spaces in Polish, Czech, Serbian and English, where people discuss these issues and on which Edgeryders performs continuous ethnographic analysis. This analysis will then be used by the POPREBEL consortium and the EC in their policy initiatives.

We will soon be adding a German-language conversation space and are thus looking to hire a German-speaking online community manager to collaborate with us on this project. The project runs for three years in total but this work will run for approximately 21 months, starting in February 2020, on a part-time basis (about 20% of your time or about 8 hrs/week). The salary is EUR 35/hr.

Requirements:

• Experience desirable, but not strictly necessary if you are an experienced participant in online communities.

• Fluent in German and English.

• Able to work part-time without set hours, during the day or night, with strong time-management skills.

• Good writing skills. Able to advance a conversation by interacting constructively with others.

• You need to be open, accepting, tolerant and a good listener. At the same time, you need to be able to maintain civil discussions and manage conflicts when emotions run high.

• Passionate and reasonably knowledgeable about the subject matter of POPREBEL’s goals.

• A good collaborator, who works well with a team and takes direction from management when needed.

• Your professional and personal network includes people involved in social activism.

Tasks:

• Participate in, moderate and be responsible for ongoing online conversations about the rise of populism and illiberalism and related issues.

• Add to conversations by providing links to reference material, articles and papers when appropriate.

• Maintain a lively and civil atmosphere. Mediate conflicts when necessary.

• Organise the topics to minimise clutter.

• Help other participants with the platform when they need or request it.

• Assist in outreach efforts that include scheduled group video calls and attending local live NGI events organised by Edgeryders.

Workplace:

You can do the work online, from wherever you are, but you may be requested to participate in one or more physical meetings. And there will be a required two-day training session in Brussels. Your travel expenses for these meetings will be covered. We coordinate and communicate through the Edgeryders platform.

How to apply:

Study the POPREBEL website (https://populism-europe.com/poprebel), so you understand the project and its scope.

Post a reply to this topic below [Now hiring: German community manager] and tell us why you are motivated to join the team, about your interests and current work, or any life story you think is meaningful. When you write it, consider the following questions:

What experiences have you had that are most related to POPREBEL? What stories can you share?

Does your own network of colleagues and friends discuss issues relating to the rise of populism/illiberalism? Are any of them involved in social activism related to these issues?

Include a link or reference to your CV (preferably online).

Applications will be reviewed as they are received until the opening is filled.

3 Likes

Dear people at POPREBEL,

as this is a – at least for me – quite unconventional way to apply for a job, I see this as a perfect chance to additionally apply with personality rather than qualification only.

My partner, a community manager, told me about the job and how I would be a perfect fit.
Now I’ll tell you why: I am studying social works in Germany and as you can imagine the subject of populism spreading all over Europe is getting discussed a lot. Not only at university but with friends and family as well.
Especially my grandparents (citizens of formerly GDR) are really „conservative“ when it comes to talking about immigrants and refugees. Every time my family meets, I try to let them know how important it is to differentiate where news are coming from. Particularly because my grandparents are on Facebook and therefore get lots of false information about refugees.
Furthermore there are always those people I meet who don’t know me yet but as soon as they hear I am going to be a social worker they’ll start a discussion about politics and refugees. So throughout my studies I’ve been meeting people challenging to contest over who is able to allege more reasons about „refugee crisis“.

That’s why I would love to contribute to POPREBEL with my positive attitude, mediative skills and social qualities. I’m a good listener and always try to understand the point of view of everyone I talk to, meaning I’m good at working in a multi-professional team.
If you decide to hire me you would get a person with an immense thirst for knowledge. I am able to work my way into almost every topic if necessary. Learning new things means for me to widen my horizons and that is always an upside. In addition, I spend a lot of time on the internet so I know how to check if sources are reliable or not and can deal with a social media platform as well.

Feel free to check my Curriculum Vitae here.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,

Anja Müller

5 Likes

Dear Anja

Thank you for applying! My colleague who will be co-ordinating the recruitment will be back from her vacation next week, after which we will be in touch.

Best wishes

Richard

Dear Team,

I’m very interested in this Community Manager position. Since 2016 I’m managing the ZEIT ONLINE Community (https://www.zeit.de/index) with a team of 25 forum moderators. And since 2016 I’ve been watching the change in comments. Today we have to accept comments and users that we deleted and blocked in 2016. Especially political discussions are becoming more and more populist, so that we have to check all comments before publishing. We didn’t do this before.

At the end of December I told a friend that I would like to be more active on this and the next day Tanja Laub from Bundesverband Community Management e.V. shared your advertisement. Lucky me. :slight_smile:

I’m used to working in distributed teams and I really like it. Part of my German speaking ZEIT ONLINE team is located in South Africa, Argentina, United States of America, Spain and different other countries if they are travelling :-).

At CIONET (https://www.cionet.com/), a community for digital leaders, I also worked in an international team. Together with Tobias Frydman, the managing partner, I’ve been responsible for the German Community.

I’ve been working as a community manager since the early 2000s (but at this time we had no name for it :D), first as a volunteer and since 2008 fulltime employee at KWICK! Community (general interest community, all ages, closed its doors in December 2019).

You can see more about my experience on my LinkedIn profile (https://www.linkedin.com/in/ulrike-rosina-a3800565/)

Today I’m really relaxed in all kinds of digital discussion. It’s hard to get me upset, which is very helpful to mediate conflicts and support good discussions.

In 2018 we started “Wir sind AUCH das Volk” (https://auchdasvolk.de/), a private initiative of 20 persons. We wanted to show that the haters are not “Das Volk”. That there are millions of people with an open, tolerant and accepting mind. We didn’t want to act politically, we only wanted to show: Most people in Germany have no problems to welcome refugees. And that those people are “Das Volk”. Not the lesser but louder populist ones. As the number of refugees dropped shortly after our launch we did not push the project any longer. At the same time, populist themes have also changed and became more political.

At the moment I’m in a 50% position and would like to increase my hours by 20 or 30%. Physical meetings or trainings will be no problem.

Being part of your project seems to be the perfect fit for me and probably my contribution to a strong democracy in Europe.

I’m looking forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes

Ulrike Rosina

4 Likes

Dear Ulrike

Thank you for applying! My colleague who will be co-ordinating the recruitment will be back from her vacation next week, after which we will be in touch.

Best wishes

Richard

1 Like

Very nice to meet you @unicornfairydinosaur and @Ulrike.
I am the lead community manager in the project and a co-founder of Edgeryders.
Here is my own personal introduction in this project.

I would ask you to look at several resources and see if indeed the project speaks to you. We tend to be quite rigorous asking team and community to make this effort of reading and writing, and structuring information online, so this is a litmus test for you :slight_smile:

• The project’s funnel site: https://wellbeing.edgeryders.eu/
  • An internal Guide for Community Managers with summary of our processes across the international team
  • Community conversations across several countries in this forum, organised for each language and an International category for those writing in other languages: https://edgeryders.eu/c/wellbeing
    Our community for this project started a year ago, and in the International space you’ll find the English language content, including this story from Berlin:

Anything from all the above which speaks to you?
Our work as conveners of people and stories online has one important challenge: we need to make it relevant for individuals to come and share, and interact with each other. That is before we even get people to come online and interact with them online. Have you had experiences with community engagement yourselves?

Hi @noemi,
did you have a nice holiday?
I used the last few days clicking around a bit, but rather superficially as I did not know how the process would go on. Some profils, some conversations, some backgrounds. Now we have weekend and I will take my time to digg deeper. :slight_smile:
Have a nice weekend everyone!
Best wishes
Ulrike

1 Like