Gmail sends back emails directed to @edgeryders.eu addresses

Sometimes, emails sent to @edgeryders.eu addresses bounce back, with a passive-aggressive message on top:

gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com [2a00:1450:400c:c00::1b] said: 550-5.7.1 [2a01:488:66:1000:57e6:1559:0:1 19]

Our system has detected that 550-5.7.1 this message is likely suspicious due to the very low reputation of 550-5.7.1 the sending domain. To best protect our users from spam, the message 550-5.7.1 has been blocked. Please visit 550 5.7.1 Why has Gmail blocked my messages? - Gmail Help for more information. g8-20020a5d64e8000000b0021d2f322e4bsi30806805wri.140 - gsmtp (in reply to end of DATA command)

This is due to the fact that most edgeryders.eu email addresses redirect to Gmail ones, and then Gmail basically tells our business contacts that our domain is untrustable. As if we were a domain that ever originated any spam! Pretty arrogant.

This happened to the EC auditors. They said it looked like a red flag from theior point of view, and recommended to act upon it. Maybe we need to just enact a full separation between edgeryders email addresses and Gmail; either go to normal email clients, or find another solution, like Protonmail.

Not urgent, but the problem exists.

There was another case and I think this is now becoming urgent.
I wrote to Amelia’s gmail yesterday from my edgeryders.eu address, it went into her spam folder, when she found it and wanted to reply it bounced back with the same message as above.

@matthias could you help me separate my edge address from gmail?

Sure. Basically please follow the instructions here: in manual “Using edgeryders.eu e-mail addresses”, section “3. How to receive and send edgeryders.eu e-mails with Thunderbird”.

That will give you access to your e-mails directly, without you going to your Gmail account to see them. Once you have that access, tell me here and I’ll switch off the forwarding of marina@edgeryders.eu e-mails to your Gmail address. For good measure, I’ll also tell you your e-mail password again over Matrix chat now.

@alberto, you can go through the same process already if you currently receive your alberto@edgeryders.eu e-mails through your Gmail account. I will check and see who exactly is affected, that is, for whom a forwarder to a Gmail address is set up currently.

1 Like

Hello, Matt,

I turned off the connection between my edgeryders and gmail address, but nevertheless received Alberto’s post in Gmail after that (although apparently in my gmail account there is not a connection to edgeryder.eu anymore).
A couple fo minutes ago I received this in my edgeryders mailbox (Thunderbird):

My work email account is already on our server, and I access it through Thunderbird, but it is also forwarded onto Gmail. Maybe best to disconnect it.