GTF Berlin 13 - Gesa [EN]

So my name is Jos and I’m working on research in circular economy and automotive sector, and I would like to know your point of view. If you accept, I’m going to record our conversation, transcribe it and put the transcription with a pseudonym, not with your real name in a repository of text documents that will be used for the research. If we do this and you change your mind later and no longer want to participate, get in touch with us and we will immediately remove your interview from the repository. I’m leaving you an information sheet with contact information. If you agree, then please tell your first name and that you agree.

My first name is Géza and I agree.

Gesa. Thank you, Gesa. So the first question, can you define a circular economy in your own words?

A circular economy means that all consumer goods are returned in different arts strategies that might be reused remanufacturing recycling or in some cases just recovery of the energy.

Do you participate in a circular economy yourself in any aspect of your life?

Yes, I’m a professor in that I have an institute for circular Economy and I have even a startup where we want to set up recycling technologies mainly.

Very interesting. But how did you become interested in circular economy ideas and practices?

Yeah, mainly.

Mainly. Ten years ago, when I started to be a professor at the University of Augsburg, they are focusing their my former boss on materials and how the primary production is and so many social environmental issues are connected. So then I thought, okay, we really have to improve the recycling and the reuse strategies.

In your opinion, can a circular economy be implemented in individual sectors or industries?

Yes, everywhere. Everywhere. We only need support probably from from the politics a lot. But yeah. Oh, yeah. I mean, you can for production, you can use recycled materials. And when you produce something, you can already during the design phase, design the product in such a sense that it is designed for a good recycling or maybe just for a long lifespan so that you can reuse it very often. And then when you are a consumer and you use the products, you have to help by sorting in the right categories and so on.

Do you currently own a car?

Yes.

Which kind?

Uh, it’s an Audi.

A newer one or older one.

It’s quite old, and I’m not using it because we live in Berlin. You don’t need a car at all.

Um, when is the one the adjective that comes to mind when you think about electronics in a car?

When is what? Sorry.

Electronics?