GTF Berlin 31 - Sharrona & Anna Leonie [EN]

What do you think?

No, I wouldn’t call it circular. Of course, there’s like leasing systems and and swapping your cars in for new ones. But in the end of the day, like, there’s still such a strong sense of, like, consumerism and the orientation towards the new with the automobiles. And then, of course, there’s instances where they’re like passed down, car parts are recycled, but it’s not something that’s very sustainable after all.

Do you currently own a car or did you own ever in your life? A car?

No, I haven’t.

And, you know, I don’t have the need for it right now.

Are you sharing sometimes cars?

Nope.

Okay. Then I think this these questions then are not but about electronic components. What do you think are electronic components in car? Easier or harder to adapt to circular economy principles than old school regular cars without much electronics?

I think inherently like electric and like renewable like style vehicles are easier to adapt into a circular economy because obviously if it’s based on fossil fuels, then it’s never going to be circular, at least with the way that things are operating right now.

But what do you think?

I think so too. But also the composition of certain car parts and stuff is changing and adapting and also kind of innovating nowadays. So there’s definitely a lot more potential than kind of old methods and materials that are part of the problem with pollution and sustainability we have nowadays.

you told us, that the automotive industry is doing not enough for the circular economy. What do you think? How could they promote or what should they do?

I think being more vocal about it, like wanting to change and like showing consumers that this is something they’re prioritizing, because the more you talk about an issue, the more opportunities arise. And I feel like it also forces you to actually take action because people hold you accountable. And that’s usually my first step, is like when you start talking about it, you learn more, you get more involved, and it leads to a ripple effect of change.

And you I think it also takes a certain like genuine, definite will and motivation that will become the driving power instead of just pressure and then consequent greenwashing at times and stuff. I think it takes li

Let us talk about privacy and personal data in electronics. What do you think about it? Are you concerned? Um, in electronics generally, of course.

I think honestly the climate crisis is a bigger concern to me. Like I don’t doubt that my data is already out there. It’s not really something that I think is a top of mind concern for me. Like maybe one day when all my needs, like my basic needs are met, then I’ll care. But right now, no. Yeah.

I definitely think it’s a concern, but it’s also just very often ignored by us. And I mean all of us, or the majority of people use social media and stuff, don’t read through the terms and conditions and data is one of the most valuable things we have. But also, if you look at it from a bigger picture and also the reason why we’re here, it’s less of an important factor in this given moment.

Does recycling and reusing mean different things to you?

Definitely. I think recycling is a last resort and it doesn’t really work, at least in the current systems we have today. They’re very outdated. So reusing is definitely a better option and something that I think has a lot of a lot of room for creativity as well. And I think it’s beautiful what we can create when we start thinking about outside of the box and trying to make value of the things that we already have.

And yep, yeah, recycling is definitely not the best solution, especially if you think about deeper into the concept and more than as what it’s publicly seen by and the degradation of materials and kind of. The selectivity of recycling at times. And I think repurposing items and wastes into durable kind of pieces or materials that also will be kept out of landfills and stuff might make a lot more sense, especially now when we’re just looking to keep things away from the environment at the moment.