GTF Berlin 31 - Sharrona & Anna Leonie [EN]

On a scale of 1 to 5, one means not at all concerned and five means extremely concerned. How concerned are you about issues of environmental waste and pollution?

Five.

Why? Explain, please.

I think it’s someone who grew up in marginalized communities where we’re at the frontline of the crisis. It’s very easy to see what the devastation can cause, and it’s something that I’m very fearful of because people that I love are in those situations. So I also, like, understand the science and like I do the research. And I think the more you learn about it, it’s really difficult to ignore. And you notice the patterns everywhere. Like the climate is everything. It’s very pervasive in our world because it’s the world that we live in. So yeah, I would say five.

And you?

I’m definitely also concerned. I’d say a five as well, just because this is one of the single like biggest problems we are facing collectively, which we don’t really have a predictable outcome for considering the change. Like, of course, you know, there’s a science to back it, but it’s just a bit intimidating and yeah.

What, if any, actions do you take in your life to promote sustainability?

I do a lot. I think that I am definitely not the average person when it comes to this, but I started very small. I took little steps like using reusable materials, simply having conversations with friends. And over the years it’s grown into starting a global movement to tackle waste and working with government on environmental policy. Because I think that having consequences for the manufacturers and the people responsible is the only way that we’re going to be be able to actually tackle the foundational causes of the crisis.

I think at present moment, the most I can do in my life is on a personal level, but also influencing family and friends. So in my everyday life, I use compostable like fully compostable trash bags, reusable water bottles that are not plastic. I stray from plastic packaging in supermarkets. There’s organic supermarkets where you can kind of bring your own containers and stuff and also just, you know, trying to stay away from plastic bags and stuff. And then, of course, kind of promoting these ideas and kind of emphasizing the importance of the individual impact to family and friends and those around me.

m. Do you. How much responsibility? Oh, no, That’s the, uh. How much responsibility does each individual have to make lifestyle and consumer choices that help protect the environment? What do you think?

I think really it is important for individuals to have that responsibility, because if you don’t feel connected to your environment, then it’s very difficult to recognize that there is a problem and to also be part of the solution. So obviously, like corporations have a big role to play, but we are the ones that influence the actions of these corporations. So yeah

I think it’s definitely important and it’s not something to ignore, like after the kind of motto, others aren’t doing it. Why should I sacrifice? Because especially in modern day, it’s not that hard anymore. It’s like we live in an age of convenience and even like things like living more sustainably are now so accessible that it only makes sense and is the right thing to adapt to where possible. So we definitely carry an individual responsibility that we should accept.

Do you see the circular economy as a local or national or international issue?

International issue

Why ?

Because it’s an international problem. Like I think circular economy. If it’s supposed to be circular, like as it says, then it has to involve everyone and it has to be every industry. It can’t just be like the car industry or energy. It has to be every single act and like process that we as humans pursue has to have a beginning and go back to the beginning. Yeah.

Yup, it’s definitely international. It affects all of us, especially with just the level of global trade that takes place in modern day. It’s something that needs to be combated together and the responsibility that needs to be assumed by everyone for it to function and change to take place.

Thank you very much.

coded