GTF Berlin 32 - Sharrona Schanyder [EN]

Sharonna, What we what we would like to know is your view of concept of circular economy. For example, what aspects of your industry or the field or particularly hospitable for circular economy and could help it succeed? What do you think?

Um. Like what in the field would help it succeed? I think representation, like really bringing in the voices of people often sidelined or like left out of the conversation despite having to face a lot of the consequences directly. I think that it’s invaluable their experience and the knowledge that they can bring. And obviously when we look at Indigenous practices, everything that they do is already circular. So there’s so much to be learned, a lot of leadership and skills that I think would be really highly beneficial to trying to adapt or implement circular economy.

What do you think are the biggest challenges for the circular economy to approach? I think.

Funding, being able to convince people on an economic level that it’s worth it, even though I think that there’s a lot to be said and a lot to be shown. But it’s long term, it’s not really visible in the short term. So trying to make that value add and benefit visible quicker so that people are more easily adapt to accepting the idea. And yeah, funding and having more conversations around the idea so that people understand what a circular economy is.

In your opinion, can a circular economy be instituted and practices in specific industries, or does it only work when all interlocking industries work together to practice?

I think in an ideal world it would be better, obviously if everyone worked together. But definitely it’s not something that is only possible if everyone is doing it. I think every industry can implement it in some way or another and it can be circular or it can be something more homogeneous.

Um, let us talk about the automotive sector. Do you think that the circular economy can work in the automotive sector if it’s not also being implemented in the metallurgical sector or textile sector or energy sector and so on and so on?

I think it’d be tough, honestly, because those industries do work together and rely on each other. So. No, I don’t think so. I think it has to start from somewhere. So like, maybe the automotive industry can be the one to push the other industries. But like, unless it’s a company that does everything like in-house, it’s going to be tough.

Uh, what do you think? Generally? What is to do to implement circular economy worldwide?

Leadership, really. I think we have the technology. We have all the research to back it just about being able to have real leaders that are willing to prioritize and implement circular economy and also show people what the benefit is, which is saving our planet and providing a home for future generations.

Who should we do?

Who should do it? Um. I don’t know.

Local people or politics or industry. Or CEOs.

Industry, I think industry, because sadly, like, money is what drives everything. So industries will influence his politics and the politicians are the ones that like talk to the people. The people are the ones that drive the industry. So I think starting on an industry level would provide an opportunity to make everything circular.

What is then your dream about.

That it’s not have to fight for basic necessities. I think it’s sad that I’ve had to sacrifice so much of my childhood, begging leaders to provide things that should be guaranteed to everyone. Everyone should have access to clean water, clean air, a home that isn’t on fire. And I think it’s it’s honestly it’s really sad and it’s something that I wish I didn’t have to carry the weight of trying to save the planet at 23. It’s. Yeah.

I don’t know if you know, but around ten years ago in Germany, it was a big action just to sell your car and to buy a new car. And you got also money, I think, from the administration. But these cars are now in other countries and working and working. What do you think about it?

Um, I mean, at least it’s not going to a landfill somewhere. It’s not great. But yeah, I think that at least from my experience, developing countries have more of a value for maintaining things and like using it until it’s end of life. Whereas developed regions are very quick to purchase the newest thing simply because society makes you feel like that’s what you’re supposed to do. So we have to really deconstruct the idea of waste and consumption and really put an emphasis and value on preserving and reusing and being conscious about the impacts that we have on the planet.

What are you expecting from the politicians in Germany, in the European Union worldwide to implement circular economy?

I expect very little because I think, like I said, we don’t have the right leaders in place. I think they lack passion, they lack urgency, and quite frankly, they don’t care. I think that a lot of the people in power today are in those positions because of the power, not because of what they can do for people and our environment. So we just really have to either wait for the right people to come in or start at a grassroots level trying to change things ourselves.