GTF Berlin 33 - Tabitha & Lena [EN]

Do you currently own a car or did you own a car?

No, I don’t own a car.

Yes, I do, because I have to. I’m from a very I’m from a small village. So if I need to get somewhere, there is no public transport, not even a bus. So if we don’t want to go by bike on our to the next town, there is no other way.

Uh, what kind of car do you have?

It’s an old Ford, but Ford Mondeo, 2006/7. Something just pretty old. But I love it.

When is the one adjective that comes to mind when you think about car electronics? electronics.

Like in the interior. Um, of course. It’s very necessary. Necessary? Of course. You want to have good climate in the car if it’s hot outside. And you also need light. But car batteries, of course, is not are not the best, of course, because it’s a lot of energy storage and many new resources are wanted and needed. If you want the car to run properly. My car recently got a new battery because the last one died. It was like ten years old, so it was really necessary that we got a new one. Yeah.

And you? What do you think about it?.

Yeah, of course battery is important also to store energy. I mean, it’s also important in other sections. Um, but yeah, I think it this sector needs a lot of improvement, like especially from the materials and where you get them. It’s also critical with like human rights and stuff. Yeah. Child labour. So yeah, I’m not really so talented in technical stuff, but I think a lot of people are and we should like adapt new ideas in this area.

In your opinion, are cars that include electronic components easier or harder to adapt to circular economy principles than regular cars?

Um, what is the exact like, But no electric cars. Yes. Okay. Components also. like hybrid? Yeah, I think it’s a good solution because it can be more energy saving in terms of fuel, but it’s of course not the optimum. And after the short term of using the hybrid and you switch to the fuel already. So it’s it depends on how good the car managed to do that and how good it can save energy. Some friends have hybrid cars. Of my friend group and they are very happy with them because they need to get fuel just very, not not often so. Uh, but I think that’s also it depends on how old the car is. Of course, I can’t compare my really old car to a new one. Um, so. But buying a new car that is more sustainable is, of course, not in the budget for everyone. So it’s dependent on how the situation is for everybody, I think,

In your opinion.

So the question was about circular economy.

In your opinion, are cars that include electronic components easier or harder to adapt to circular economy? Um.

Well, I think it’s important to reuse the metals, the rare metals. But I don’t know the other stuff.

What do you think? What can the automotive industry do to promote a circular economy and.

Of course, it shouldn’t be too expensive. And okay, that’s more of the politics. They should maybe like also a subfranchise. I don’t know what’s the names. And yeah, I think the cost factor is important and the cars should look good. And sometimes electric cars can look different and some people don’t want that. And you need to have the opportunity to drive a long distance because that’s a big factor. Why people say, I don’t want an electric car.

In your opinion?

I think the distance thing is the most important because of course, recycling and reusing the old cars and materials would be great. Not just trashing them, but like the batteries. If they are wasted, it’s mostly more money intensive to recycle them than just to throw them away. So it’s a big problem. And if we don’t solve that, it’s very hard that we make even more electric cars and to keep them for longer distances on the street because we need more batteries. So it’s kind of we need better solutions, I think. And I think most of the industries are searching for them, but they are not easy to find.

What do you think? Do you believe the automotive industry is already doing something for circular economy?