GTF Berlin 33 - Tabitha & Lena [EN]

I think they try because of course sustainability can in some factors also be more better for their expenses because it’s less expensive for them. But I think it’s also if the government would have more regulations that made them, made them, They pushed them more in the sustainable and circular economy direction, it would be even more of their own interest, of course. But yeah, them and the government and their corruption is a big thing. I think. So, yeah. I don’t know.

I mean attorney, lobbyist, big. Well, I think they’re doing it for their image. Mainly I’d say. Um, and it’s.

It’s normal that they, that their number one priority is profit. That’s like for every company except when you start with the sustainability thought. Um, but it’s important to like, yeah, have maybe the second goal should be sustainability and yeah, I think they’re trying. I mean it needs a lot of time to change, but as my friend said, the government, it’s important that the government does something there and they shouldn’t be too influenced by the lobby.

I don’t know if car has a NAV system or something like that, but do you have concerns about privacy and personal data stored by, for example, car electronics like GPS or navi.

I don’t have GPS. I don’t have Navy. Maybe sometimes even I don’t know where I’m going. So, um, of course, privacy is a big thing, especially in Germany. We have so many privacy laws. Um, and I think it’s a big deal that everybody always knows where to go, especially if the self-driving cars and this movement gets even stronger. Of course everybody will know where everybody goes because otherwise this won’t even work. Um, but in this situation, I think maybe the public trains and these things that have just like regular for planner and regular movement where you can’t be tracked is maybe more is more important. But like everybody has a cell phone, most people have GPS on like always or have Snapchat. So if somebody wants to know where you are, I think it’s for most people already a daily business that you could be stalked if somebody wanted to. So. Just you. Just the car. Standard Doesn’t matter.

I’m actually not worried at all about my car knowing my, like, where I am because I think my phone already knows it.

I think if someone wants to know it, they could find out. And not about my car.

Does recycling and reusing means different things to you?

Yes, it does. Because reusing then you keep it like it is and recycle. Then you make new things out of it, I think. Or you waste it. But in a better way. Like if you recycle all your waste, some of it just gets burnt because it burns better than the other stuff. So it’s not keeping it in the cycle. It’s not the circular economy you’re looking for. Reusing is keeping it in a cycle, making it better or even upcycling it. So I think reusing is always better than recycling.

Your opinion?

Same thing. I think reusing is if you keep it in the same state and you don’t have really an effort to change the thing and recycling is like one step down, but also good. I mean, you keep it in a cycle, but maybe just in different components, but also use it again.

On a scale of 1 to 5, one means being not at all concerned and five means very or extremely concerned. How concerned are you about issues of environmental waste and pollution?

I’m actually quite concerned. I mean, like pollution already affects like in Germany, it’s not that hard, but in other countries the air pollution is really hard. Also, the water pollution, I mean, we are also eating fish from water, which is polluted. It’s it affects our human health and also the health of animals, which are also important. And I mean, in the end, it’s the whole ecosystem and everything could die. Scale. One, two, five, one, two, five. I’d say right now it’s four. But if we don’t do anything, it’s five.

Yeah, I’m pretty have the same opinion like her. It’s actually 4 or 5 situation because even if we in Germany don’t get in daily touch with all the causes, it’s like the weather situation and having more hotter summers and colder winters. The weather gets extremere. These are things that we know here. But in other countries where you are even poorer, it’s of course a much bigger issue. Or if you have more floods and all these things, you already know that these are consequences. So I think we are really. We really need to do something now because we don’t have much time left.

What, if any, actions do you take in your life to promote sustainability?

Um, I think everybody has has to do his own small steps, like recycle, reusing everything. Don’t throw away food because if we throw away food, we don’t keep in mind that everything from the production to the seed, the water that goes into that always gets wasted. At the moment we throw out the tomato tomato because we don’t want to eat it anymore. So. Um, it’s the small steps. Steps every day, actually, but also the big industries, of course, cause so much more than the just normal human being. And often those get forget forgotten a bit because, like we don’t need extra plastic around every cabbage. And just like, we need to even get more regulations for companies. I think.

You. What are you doing?

So I think plastic is a good idea. You can do a lot there. For example, not buy any like everything in plastic, like vegetables. You can also have these bags which are in supermarkets and put it in there. Just a good idea. And I mean, waste separation is really important that you really like are careful there. For example, where we live, there’s no official plastic waste, no yellow bag. So you have to bring it to the recycling recycling station. Yeah. And there you have to put it in like eight different bags. They have to separate it. So you have to it’s yeah, you have to throw a lot of effort to do that and you have to have time I think. Yeah, I do that. But for a lot of people, that’s maybe too time consuming. And of course I try to take the train. I don’t have a car, so. And I ride the bike. Yeah, Not too much flying. And it’s important not to like buy new clothes every day or like, not every day, like every week. It’s I think it’s good if you have good clothes that you can wear more often. Not these cheap ones like in stores like New York or something. They are. Yeah. And they, they break and you don’t use it anymore and you have to like your cloth and not like waste your money there. And also the resources.

Uh, how much responsibility does each individual have to make lifestyle and consumer choices that help protect the environment? What do you think?

It’s like I said before, everybody has to take its own steps. But like the fast fashion industry, those are things the normal buyer doesn’t actually influence this much because if you see all the stores with its €2 one shirt prices where you know those all get thrown out because it’s not in the trend next week anymore. And like if you see those documentaries about fast fashion industry and where the waste goes, it just gets shipped off and put on a big, big mountain of clothes already there. We just need to get the businesses more sustainable at all. If there isn’t so much to buy, then we can’t throw as much away, of course.