Hacking diabetes

This is pretty amazing: an entire open source ecosystem, from sensors to apps to insulin, emerging from patients.

Where do we want to store all this stuff?

2 Likes

Incredible story

Great, great story.

It is however reported as a solo heroic strive rather than as a community effort. The article does mention the “biotech hacker space Counter Culture Labs”, and then the Open Insulin project, but makes it sound as if the individual initiative were what mattered in solving the situation.

I would be interested to know more about the story, and learn about the collective effort that was put in. (Although it could well have been the result of individual effort after all.)

On “where to put this stuff”, I suppose we should start archiving these stories somehow. My guess is a wiki would do it ok (but I understand ER wikis have been used as single page wikis most of the time). A (collection of) hackpad (or anything similar) would probably be fine.

“Solo heroes”?

Solo heroes are not what I see, Guy. One guy writes code to upload the data to the cloud. Someone else reuses it. A third person starts a systematisation of the code to create an open source ecosystem. Then that ecosystem is enlarged to drive a pump, so you get an open source artificial pancreas. Then the insulin… I see it as very collective!

Mea culpa

I can’t explain why I got it all wrong. Went back to the news article and read it carefully this time. Even made a network map of the story to claim your forgiveness … (would be even more convincing if animated).

3 Likes

Accidental breakthrough?

You seem to have stumbled into networks as a storytelling technique. Of course all visualisations tell stories, but in OpenCare we are telling stories of collaboration and interconnectedness, so networks work particularly well. Is it worth doing some work on, trying to come up with self-explanatory visualizations?

nice mapping!

@melancon how did you make it?

it’s generated or drawn and from what data you found in the article?

thanks

Zoe

1 Like

Tulip it is

I re-read the paper and made myself a map of the story with Tulip, extracting names of persons and/or organizations by hand. The grouped nodes with outer/inner labels is one of the marvelous things you can do with the software :slight_smile:

1 Like