Happy giveaways

I like getting rid of things. I am not quite a “depositing” person. We all have things in our places that we haven’t been using for a while and are keeping them for “just in case” situations. So do I.

Once I started going thru my cosmetics. I have discovered a pinky eyeshadow. Brand-new, never used. It has been moving from one drawer to another during several months. I took it to the office and asked my girl peers: who wants a pink eyeshadow? I want, said Olya. Next day I see her wearing on the new eyeshadow. It’s been more then half a year since then,I still see her using it. Isn’t it cool? This is such a win-win situation that you could not even think of better. She’s got a thing she needed. I am glad to see it in use. Eventhough evidently it was not a smart shopping decision, and one might say a waste of money ultimately, it gave me such a cool feeling of satisfaction and something much more…

I cannot say it was a life-changing experience, but it did change me from within in a certain manner. I have re-thought the material value of things and the feeling of separation from them is rather a pleasure than a feeling of loss. I’ve been practicing this give away thing for a while, and it is quite awesome. Stuff needs to travel around, stuff like books, clothes, furniture. Why buy a stroller for the coming baby while your friend has got one in a perfect condition in the garage?!

I haven’t yet formulated it, but I am sure there is a big economic thingy behind it! What do you think?

Also wanted to share a quite impressive TED speech about how we can buy happiness…follow the attached link!

1 Like

Hey, Liudmila!

I really like

Hey, Liudmila!

I really like how you put it - “I have re-thought the material value of things and the feeling of separation from them is rather a pleasure than a feeling of loss.”

this thought of “just in case” is so familiar to me…and most of the times very annoying. I still have to practice more giving away :slight_smile: And I’m glad I’m working on the “before buying, think if you need it”.

During my stays abroad, I have noticed that in Western Europe the idea of using second hand is very popular. The flea markets are regularly organized and very attended… clothes, shoes, accessories, furniture, bicycles and other sports equipment, tableware, books etc. It is not really give away, but anyway selling and buying for much less.

This certainly doesn’t make happy the promoters of consumerism.

Hi Arina!

Thanks for your

Hi Arina!

Thanks for your input! This thing of “just in case” is so familiar for many of us. For example, my grandma never throws away anything…she’s got empty bottles from smth, huge amounts of fabric, good but also almost destroyed clothes, and a lot of other stuff.

I find flea markets, garage sales, but also online communities organizing sales/giveaways a great idea!

Btw, I am also working on  “before buying, think if you need it”. But let’s not undermine the beautiful effets of shopping therapy :)…I suppose sometimes it is healthier to spend 10 bucks on an unnecessary thing and lately just give it away or re-sell it :slight_smile: