Help needed: presentations at the London consortia meetings

As part of the London meetings for POPREBEL and NGI FORWARD, Edgeryders has to give presentations on its contributions to each project (20 mins + Q&A). I am operating under the assumption that most partners will only have a vague idea of what we actually do, so I have decided to focus on a high level description of what we do.

There are two parts:

1. What we do (and how you can use it). This describes the final product that we craft (SSNA), and how it is supposed to enter in the work of other partners in the consortium. The goal of this part is to prompt partners to work more closely with us. I draw people’s attention to the fact that our work is typically upstream in the flow chart, providing input to other people’s research. For example, POPREBEL:

2. How we do it. This part is an overview of what actions we will be carrying out, and how they fit into the big picture. I plan to walk partners through the Edgeryders main sequence: convene the conversation, manage the community, run the analysis, while providing technical and ethical support.

What I need from you is one or two slides each for this second part. Deadline: Tuesday 8th.

• @nadia on engagement and convening
  • @noemi and @johncoate on community management. The main stumbling blocks differ: for POPREBEL, it is a potentially controversial conversation, that could turn difficult and even violent. For NGI FORWARD, the challenge is to make the debate attractive and relevant for non-tech lobbyists. This means highlighting the links between technical and governance choices and the emergent patterns of use of the Internet the result for these choices.
  • @matthias on technical support.
  • @amelia, if you could review part 1.

I have put the POPREBEL presentation here. The NGI FORWARD uses the same structure and is here. Don’t bother with the look-and-feel, I am using Keynote anyway, this is just a rough PowerPoint export so that it can be converted into Google Slides. Thanks everyone!

3 Likes

Noted… we will add.

Tell me more about what you are looking for with this. A description of why good management is valuable? Or something more descriptive of methods since it falls in your “how we do it” section?

Absent guidance I would say something like, “good community management uses a variety of techniques to bring out the best in the participants while minimizing problems. It raises the quality of the conversation and produces better results for analysis.” Something like that…?

Methods. Specifically, our methods. Contextualized to the issues being discussed: how to make people feel welcome, prevent flame wars, etc. Of course, 1-2 slides, so can’t be too detailed. There is ample time for Q&A (longer than the presentation).

How’s this?

Our methods:
We consider our network to be a web of relationships.
We engage personally with everyone who comes in.
We try to get to know them and see how they can best engage with the network.
We make introductions.
We participate in public discussions, helping bring value to the conversations.
We serve the users with help and support so they have the best experience.
We make sure that the conversations do not lose their civility.

That’s not real sexy as written I guess, but it is what we do as applies to to POPREBEL and NGI. My interpretation of it anyway.

Hei @alberto @johncoate I was late with this, I very much apologise.
Ready to send something by COB if you still need it from me…

Actually, I will send it anyway:

Slide 1) black background:

• Uphold norms for interaction: common focus on building trust and finding truth together
  • Onboard: Human-to-human welcome process
  • Moderate: Connect people & projects; Moderators are active participants
  • Outreach for growth: Use of other (social) channels as funnels

Slide 2)

This framework I think would suit, feel free to copy it.

2 Likes

Added my slide to the presentation (Google Slides made its own version for that here, in the same folder as Alberto’s original POPREBEL presentation). Copying the content below:

Technical support

• only IT that we can understand, maintain and adapt
    • only proper own servers (no “cloud”, no “Docker”)
    • only open source software
    • only quality software (Discourse)
  • full, public software documentation
  • sub-forum for remaining support questions, feature proposals, …
  • prepared processes for emergencies / outages
1 Like