Hey, you! What about 22? (About Earth Day)

What do you know about 22nd of April? What do you know about Earth Day? This celebration is the result of 7 years of work. Senator Gaylord Nelson is the founder of Earth Day. Everything started in 1962. For several years, he was concerned about the fact that the state of our environment was a non-issue in the politics. He started talking with president Kennedy and continued with a variety of audiences, asking them to give visibility to this issue. From year to year, media confrimed the need of an increased care of the environment. Slowly, things started to work and the necesity cumulated more and more supporters. Earth Day worked because of the spontaneous response at the grassroots level. That was the remarkable thing about Earth Day. It organized itself.

What have I done this year in order to celebrate Earth Day? Well…everything started when I joined ASASH. And now…you are wondering what is this all about.

ASASH is the abreviaton of Association of Architecture Students “Spiru Haret”, Romania. It’s a youth organisation that has been founded by 5 enthusiastic students: Calota Emil, Mafteianu Tudor, Bulgariu Onisim, Popa Stefana, Balan Cristina. From year to year, it became more and more obvious that a new voice, a young shelter for initiative and ideas was needed. Now, since Februarie 2011, students, supported by teachers, develop their own ideas by being a volunteer in the faculty’s association.

How we celebrate Earth Day?

ASASH is organising a contest and its not an ordinary one! Its not a drawing contest as you might imagine, but an inventive one: Recycle & Create! The participants are supposed to use their imagination and create and object (as furniture, clothes,sculptures and so on) using only reciclyng stuff. The result of their imagination will be part of an exposition.

Haven`t convinced you yet? Then, what would you say if “the most creative brains” would receive prizes? Prizes as: magazine subscription and invitations at ROCAD Architecture Conference. To see how amasing this will look like, come and find out on 5th of May at Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Architecture.

I promise I`ll be beback with pictures from this great event. Stay tuned!

Until than, don`t forget : “Every day is a once in a lifetime event”.

Furnea Andreea Anca

ASASH President of PR Department

Dress and handbags made out of quilled paper

Wow! That’s an exciting contest! I am really looking forward to see the pictures of the exhibition. Maybe someone will invent a piece of furniture made out of squeezed yogourt containers? Or a dress made with caps of bottles…

Many craft artists and artists use recycled material to create new works of art. The cardboard chairs of architect Frank O. Gehry come to my mind, as one of the earliest and striking examples of wonderful stuff which can be done with recycled raw material.

Frank Gehry’s chairs

The most extraordinary and beautiful thing I saw, made out of paper, was a dress by Licia Politis. (ref http://www.allthingspaper.net/2009/11/award-winning-quilling-licia-politis.html) This dress just blew my mind away!

Licia Politis quilled dress

This fantastic creation gave me the inspiration to recycle old hand bags that nobody wants to wear anymore. I looked for sturdy old handbags, with a solid flat surface. Here is one of my recycled handbags, covered with quilled flowers (made out of paper). I applied an acrylic varnish on top of the paper, and it consolidated the paper into a solid material. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lynerobichaud/4901208631/)

Lyne Robichaud’s quilled recycled handbag

I am not as good a quiller as Licia, but her beautiful creations have truly inspired me!

Recycle&Create!

WOW!

Nice post, Lyne!  Frank Gehry’s chair is absolutely amasing! Thank you for the idea.

If the event will work this year, maybe next time well make it bigger! International! Well keep in touch. I guess you would be on our participants list…wouldn`t you? :slight_smile:

Anca Furnea

ASASH President of PR Department

Good work!

I can’t design to save my life, but if I could I would certainly get involved. Is it all Romanians or do you have entries from abroad?

Recycle&Create!

Hello Alberto.

The contest organised by ASASH is only on the local plan, on our University. But it`s a nice idea to make it bigger, at the international level maybe, in the next year. Thank you!

Anca Furnea

Recycle&Create!

Hello Alberto.

The contest organised by ASASH is only on the local plan, on our University. But it`s a nice idea to make it bigger, at the international level maybe, in the next year. Thank you!

Anca Furnea

Recycle&Create!

Hello Alberto.

Anca Furnea

Recycle & Create!

Hy there!My name is Alexandra Motorga and i am the project manager of Recycle & Create!

First of all i would like to say that i am so glad to see that there are so many people in the world

that are concerned about Earth and Art in the same time! For me was always a challenge to

create amazing things with unexpected materials, because, as an architect student , i have

the wish for beauty and harmony, the desire to create and express my ideas, but also the

need to protect the environment in which i live.

Now about Recycle & Create! we only have few days until the exposition, so we will be soon able

to post some pictures.I can only reveal a little secret : we’ve made T-shirts rugs and plastic bottles

bags, use a lot of news papers and ice cream sticks!

We will also post some pictures to show you how we celebrated Spring and the Mother’s day!

Wish you all a nice day!

Alexandra Motorga,

ASASH President of PM Department.

Hello ASASH,

woowww!! I

Hello ASASH,

woowww!! I really like your project. I wish I could participate as well… I am living in Austria and recently I went to a guerrilla event of a volunteer group of people who do similar things. We chose an old train station (it was more like an abandoned tunel) and we created furniture out of garbage! It was so amazing… and the most nice thing was that in this place there are some a “homeless community” so we left our crafts to them to use them! I felt so alive knowing that with a minimum handcraft effort I made those people’s life a bit easier! I am looking for some pictures to post as well…

I don’t know if you have seen James’ report on “Access Space”, a tech space from recycled computers! http://edgeryders.ppa.coe.int/spotlight-social-innovation/mission_case/access-space-new-model-individual-and-community-development it could be interesting for you to get in touch with him and share some experiences!

I wish you all the best for your really nice project :slight_smile:

SUPER!

Hey, what a nice project youve been involved in! The train station idea for homeless is so so so amazing! Hope that, next year, if well make it international, youll join the contest. I would like to see some pictures with what youve done,cuz it sounds great! Thank you for the idea, Im sure that the old train station will really inspire the ASASH team.

Congratulations for your work and dedcation!

Anca Furnea, Roumania