Hi Edgeryders! + Question about specific tip for Tunisia

Hi Edgeryders,

I’m excited to be a part of this community and forum, and look forward to participate in these ongoing conversations and to learn from you all! I’m an artist and occasional film-maker, working mainly with various multimedia projects and aim to explore intersections between technology, culture, aesthetics, nature, journalism and so on. I’m also involved in the Scandinavian scene for participatory arts, mainly via The Borderland - the largest festival in northern Europe for said art form.

I have a question for you all about historically/politically interesting or generally peculiar places in Tunisia?

I will be attending the Participio Hackathon in Tunisia that Hugi is putting on, and while I’m in the area I will take the change to film some material as well. I’m working on a ‘poetic’ documentary on the history of the design of labour, i.e. how various cultures throughout history has defined and redefined ‘work’, pictured through shots of sites, objects, people or events. The topic is quite vague and very open to interpretation, so most interesting things are probably relevant. Some examples of other content in the film is; the ruins of Fordlandia in the Amazon jungle, Vitra’s office furniture testing facility in Basel, the worlds oldest manmade tools found in the Turkana desert in Kenya, and so on. Maybe some of you in this community know of some interesting places that might suit? Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @jakobskote,
I would like first of all to thank you about your interest in Tunisia’s history. My name is Wael and I’m from Medenine which is located in the south of Tunisia but I’m basically a junior business student pursuing my studies in Tunis, the capital city. I’ve been part of Edgeryders since one year. Tunisia is rich in history and rich in culture : it was at the heart of the Carthage empire ( 814 BC), a period that is mainly known by the punic wars and Hannibal’s glory against Rome. Followed by the Roman era, a period that impressive ruins and stunning mosaics can reflect. Most importantly, the Arab islamic civilization (720 ) shifted the architectural style, reflected in historical monuments such as prominent ribats, or the Great Mosque of Kairouan.
I would recommend you by the end to visit : the museum of Bardo, Carthage, the Médina, the museum of Galala in Djerba,…

2 Likes

Maybe @Yosser, @zmorda or @nadia have pointers or know where you could look?

I liked troglodyte dwellings in Matmata. There is also a small museum where you can see labor tools as they were used in traditional troglodyte culture. Pretty spectacular. It was the location of the original Star Wars movie, remember the planet Tatooine, home of Luke Skywalker? There are troglodyte dwellings in Medenine itself, but I have not yet seen them.

Thank you so much for the tips and the information Wael, I will make sure to look into them and visit as many as possible!

1 Like

Ancient troglodyte cave dwellings repurposed as dwellings in a galaxy far far away sounds just like the kind of thing I’m looking for. Thank you Alberto, I will definitely try to visit Matmata!

@jakobskote
You can actually find those kinds of dwellings in Medenine downtown.
Here is a picture.

1 Like