"Homework"

Hi all, update as of Thursday morning (on the American side). @Jan and I went through the draft. I left comment on the Czech and German sections. Jan has left comments on the Czech section. @jitka.kralova – if you are not there tomorrow, then yes it probably makes sense for the three of us to have a meeting once you have had a chance to read through the comments. @Richard – safe driving, you and @Djan can take a look at my comments for now, and @Jan will be adding his ASAP.

Thanks @Nica and @Jan for your comments!

It would be great to discuss the details soon. I am free any time next week apart from Monday. Should we arrange a zoom call?

Thanks for the update! I ll be able to have a look next week

Hi Jitka! Apologies for the delay. I was working on a draft for another project that was due yesterday. Will you be at the ethnographers meeting tomorrow? Maybe you and myself and @Jan can stay after the meeting is done to discuss the comments? @Jan are you available for that?

1 Like

@rebelethno – today at the Ethnographers’ meeting we discussed that we (Jan and I) want to meet with each of the country ethnographic teams separately to do a deep dive into the visualizations in a dynamic way.

The only issue is, we are not confident in being able to easily and efficiently “drive” the software. We’ve all been trained on it, but when we did it earlier for the Catholic church, we were slow and not very efficient until @alberto kindly walked us through it. Since we are in a time crunch with all this, I thought it would be efficient if for each of these three meetings there could be someone present who can “supervise” our technological shortcomings. Could be @alberto if he is available. I got the sense that @Wojt and @Jirka_Kocian might be able to do it? That would take care of the Polish and Czech meetings, and we would ask for someone’s help with the German one.

Once I have a clear sense of who the “software wizard” can be for each of the three meetings, I will schedule them, with Doodle Poll.

2 Likes

Hello @nica and all, I am on holiday until the 4th of October, included. So, I would prefer not to stand in any meeting. However, I have prepared some walkthroughs:

I would recommend to ask @hugi to repeat the training, it may be a good investment. With it, you can replicate the gist of the analysis in the first two posts above, and extend them at will (for example, explore ego networks, etc.). I write “the gist” because the way Graphryder computes association depth is slightly different from (though highly correlated with) the one in the paper definition that I use when I work with Tulip.

The analysis by gender is bespoke analysis done for POPREBEL, and not supported by Graphryder.

I would also recommend you provide me with requests for visualizations, or data-related questions, and I will take them on at the earliest opportunity. I will probably still generate a draft comparative analysis between the three different corpora, though comparing three is much harder than comparing two. And about that: @Jan, @Richard, @SantosCardonaPR, can I now consider the coding of the German corpus complete?

@rebelethno@hugi has kindly agreed to help us do brainstorming sessions on @alberto 's initial visualizations. His availability is indicated here: Call with Hugi — Fantastical Openings

I am traveling until Wednesday and not available for meetings in that interval, but would be great to do a couple of them next Friday the 30th and/or Monday the 3rd, if people are available. The 8am and 9 am slots EST would work great for me – perhaps we could use the time window when we would normally have the ethnographers meeting for one of the groups?

Do I need to do a doodle poll separately for the three groups, or can people weigh in here? @Jan and I need to be present at all three meetings – @Jan can you also take a look at @hugi 's schedule and see what would work for you?

Also, I will not be able to attend tomorrow’s ethnographers meeting, as I will be in transit.

Safe travels. We will organize ourselves.

@nica we have decided with @Jan to pus the brainstorming meetings with @hugi to the week from 3rd October, because of you being away until Wednesday and because there is this Poprebel Impact conference on Thursday and Friday 29. and 30. Sept.

That’s fine! Has there been any movement on organizing specific times? What is the best way to do that – Doodle polls?

@rebelethno – I know everyone has been focused on the impact conference, but now that it is done, we really have to prioritize scheduling these work sessions. I see that @hugi has spots available this Friday the 7th. I propose that @Jan and @hugi and I plan to meet with the Polish team at 14.00, the Czech team at 15.00 and the German team at 16.00. Does that work from everyone? Please let me know today.

Thanks,

Nica

1 Like

I’m afraid it’s a little short notice for me. Slots are free in the calendar, but earlier this afternoon I already scheduled something else for Friday, I just hadn’t updated the calendar yet. Sorry!

Give me a few more days of lead and I can certainly be available next week.

@rebelethno – the report draft is due at the end of this month, and while we have a solid draft, there are entire sections pertaining to the visualized data, and then the corollary analysis section that remain to be written. So everyone, it is imperative that we prioritize these meetings with @hugi ideally for early next week.

@hugi – understood. Please let me know once you know when you are available next week!

My availability is still true to my calendar, so as long as you schedule with me about 3 days in advance you can be certain that I can make it. I would make this a rule in my calendar, but it makes things inconvenient if people can’t even attempt to book with me short in advance. Once you have agreed on a time with the team when I am available, please book the time and you can count on that I will be there as long as I have 3 days notice.

1 Like

Dear all

Monday the 10th is good for me. I am free all day.

Richard

Hi @Nica

Did you create the POPREBEL folder on Google Docs? If so, can we add Djan to the access list - and remove Isidora Jaric, Maja Krek and Super Nova.

If it wasn’t you, do you know who it was?

See you on Friday!

R

For me, Monday I can only do between 9-11.30 and then from 14.30-16.30.

Tuesday I am free whole day.

Dear all, are we having an Ethnographers Meeting today? I don’t see a link.

@rebelethno@hugi accepted our meeting requests and if I understand correctly, we will join him at this link: https://around.co/r/hugi

So the Polish ethnographic group is tomorrow at 13.00 (or 12.00 for those in London), and the German group at 14.00 (or 13.00 for those in London).

2 Likes