How do we run the "Policies of Care" Challenge?

Hello all,

We have a basic text and language we can work with, and a featured challenge: https://edgeryders.eu/en/policies-of-care

I think in order to collect contributions of value and engage the community in a real conversation we need to be smart and creative about this.

I propose to run a real engagement campaign in January and prepare it well in the remaining of this year.

I started a planning document that I want to run by you and ask that we fill in content and potential gaps. It contains, among others, templates for public Calls for Participation (one Challenge page is not enough… ), email invitation template, and importantly: an open ended list of tasks for the team to do consistently, among which:

The full document is in the Policy folder, here.

If you like this approach I suggest we agree on a timeline and I will book some of my opencare time to help and an online call early January. But only if this is something you want to go forward with. My estimate is that at least a week of work is needed to get seed content, materials, social media comms planned.

The work can happen these weeks and beginning of January, with launch around 10th.

@Rossana_Torri | @Franca and the others…

1 Like

I forgot to say…

If you guys already have a different, or better plan let’s go for it!

Sounds great

Dear @Noemi

thanks a lot for your suggestions. For sure you have a lot of experiences in doing these activities, so thanks.

For now our idea was to start to collect by personal interviews 4/5 stories that are important for us, we have some meetings sheduled in the next days and then to share and disseminate the challenge,

So it could be great to integrate your suggestions with ours ideas.

Thanks!

Franca

1 Like

Maybe good to ask: Who is this in service of?

Hi Franca. As someone who has been politically active/ been interacting with policymakers/public sector a lot over the past couple of year I have leared the importance of having a devil’s advocate before/if you launch any kind of consultation. It has to do with ethics as well as effective allocation of limited resources. So, here goes…

What are you going to offer in exchange for the attention, time and knowledge of the people whom you are asking to contribute answers to your questions? How will you honour the fact that every minute of time spent answering your question/interacting with you is time taken away from working on one’s project?

This kind of exercise can very quickly become extractive unless there is a clear and credible promise of how you are going to serve the people who you are trying to involve. Are you willing to do things like putting the nights and weekends of your own time  into driving a fundraising campaign to support people’s projects, like we did with the OpenandChange application for opencare participants? If not,  then this challenge is not one I would feel comfortable doing any engagement around…

My two cents.

Policy Making Challenge

Hi @Nadia,

actually we have already discussed about the policy making challenge during the last Consortium Meeting in Milan with @Alberto and @Noemi.

From our point of view, it could be very interesting to develop an online debate about the new role of a PA, in particular a Municipality, in the new Care context, as we wrote in the text.

With @Rossana and @Lucia we’ll start by involving some local stakeholders to jump in the conversation. Then we’ll try to spread the process also through offline meeting and documentation in order to involve more participants. These activities are strongly linked with the local activities that we are planning for the second year also in partnership with wemake (@costantino; @cristina)

So, thanks a lot for your comments, we 'll keep them in mind!

1 Like

Back online

@Franca, just to quickly say I’m back online and would still love to be involved in this somehow.

I second Nadia’s words: I think the gist is that if we want the opencare community to get involved in this and engage new contributors, not just the stakeholders you have in mind, this challenge needs a LOT more care and attention. Even if you want a low profile conversation - or one exclusively in Italian - think that it is detrimental to the interest we’ve seen from several people around here who would generously contribute but can’t because there is no drumbeat… (another word for excitement that is channeled somewhere bigger than individual posts).

?

I believe I am not the Cristina you are referring to, I am actually involved in wemake.ch but I don’t think it’s the same…