How I learned to share

I am in my mid 40s. My generation was not taught to share, unless it was within the family, with your siblings. On the contrary, there was a strong emphasis on individual enjoyment of resources. Learning? At school you would be evaluated individually, and explicitly forbidden to collaborate with others on assignments and tests, a practice called “cheating” by teachers. Work? You would apply for jobs, individually. You would receive a salary in return for participating in a hierarchical command-and-control structure, the whole point of which is that you are a cog in the machine, and as such you have nothing you could possibly share. Housing? You should aspire to a nice apartment for yourself and your family, in which you would share with your neighbours only the staircase. If you were more affluent, even better: you were encouraged to go for an independent house, with your own fenced garden and no sharing at all.

This left only two arenas: science and the Internet.

I had the good fortune to do science (economics) in the early 90s. I now realize there were contradictions about sharing in academia: you would publish results, but not necessarily raw data (unless it was needed for referees to review your work). You wanted your work to be widely spread, yet publications would be copyrighted by default. But what struck me at the time is that anybody agreed that there was no way that even the most brilliant mind would achieve anything without leaning heavily on the work of others. It was natural to think of knowledge as a big heap of thinking and results. Everybody took freely from it and gave back to it. Everybody, that is, save the very top people: the pinnacle of scientific success was still Craig Venter, heavily funded by corporate finance, sitting on a big pile of proprietary genomic data and using them to churn out patent (privatized knowledge again) for Big Pharma.

The Internet taught me the bounty that can result from sharing with strangers. It started opening up my band’s website to unmoderated comments in 1998 and being flooded with love; it continued in the early 200s with web 2.0, and particularly blogs. Blogs became very important in helping me to find knowledge I could then absorb and redeploy in my own projects. I wanted to take part in the online conversation, and to give something of my own back to it. So, in 2005, I took up blogging too, and have not stopped since. I immediately discovered that - though reading blogs can be fun and very instructive - it is only when you are a full participant in the web of online exchanges tat you can make the most of it. If you publish good stuff people will notice: they will leave you comments, be inspired by you to write their own content, and recommend you to their friends. This was a complete game changer for someone like me, who was not embedded into a top university: as if by magic, suddenly I was coming across knowledge that was 100% relevant to me - I would even say necessary - without any effort. Most of it was so knew that it would not hit the journals for years yet. My learning speed doubled, as almost all time previously spent looking for sources suddenly became available for reading.

This is possible because what is arcane and hard to find for you is an everyday matter for another person, and viceversa. If that person knows you exist and knows about your interests, she can send you very relevant knowledge with a click; and that click saves you hours, if not days, of sifting through libraries. And here is the trick: the more knowledge you share, the better people in your network will get at sending you stuff which is relevant for you; and the more there will be of them in your network, because people with similar interests tend to gravitate towards each other in social networks (a phenomenon called homophily). So you share: you would share it even if your motivations were perfectly egoistic. But in so doing you help others, because your thinking, obvious for you, can be very inspiring for someone else. I put a ridiculous amount of work in my blog: I have written more than 700 posts, most of them in two languages. I do it for free, and pay for the hosting and the occasional help with development out of my own pocket. It is a great investment, and I have no intention of giving it up: in fact you could say I owe my present job to the fact that someone at the Council of Europe reads my blog.

Once you learn the trick, sharing becomes quite natural offline, too. Creating club nights to build a nice hangout place for the local community; lending willingly your personal property; making the extra bedroom in your apartment available to people travelling to town; working out of shared spaces. I even wrote a book, ad somehow persuaded the publisher to put out an advanced dratf version on the web, with a Creative Commons license that makes it legal to download it and reproduce it. I have done all this, and I plan to do more in the future - for example, I really want to live in a co-housing space. But the Internet is the place where it all started for me.

Quelle magnifique description d’une participation engagée dans le Web 2.0.! I found myself in your words.

You see, Alberto, through a virtual participation, you developed your being — you expressed yourself, you met with great people, you read, you thought —  you opened up new paths and windows of opportunities. The fact that people now feel they are all connected with each other (through Internet and social media) has not only changed they way we communicate, but it also pushes many people to do significant leaps. We are all different, therefore people engage in all sorts of avenues. What makes me glimpse that we are moving towards a new Era.

You call this ‘sharing’, whereas I call it ‘empowerment’. Mais nous parlons des mêmes choses.

For these reasons, I believe that through the Internet, social media, and various platforms (government 2.0 and others), we stand before the opportunity to solve many things. If government policy makers are realizing this, and manage all this consciously, everyone wins…

Je retiens cette très belle phrase que tu as écrit, une phrase très importante, que devraient se rapeller les décideurs: ‘It is only when you are a FULL PARTICIPANT in the web of online exchanges that you can make the most of it.’

what’s a’ full participant’?

Just thinking about how to be in the condition of a ‘full participant’…

Someone at the top of the participation pyramid

For me a full participant is somebody who positions herself in the top category of engagement. Social media types like to speak of participation pyramids. A typical participation pyramid looks like this:

In any community, you are a full participant if you take part into the work to create the most precious form of activity that community delivers. In Egderyders, that would be creating mission reports.

sharing anxiety disorder

Thanks for clear thoughts on sharing.

Walled gardens, construction of boundaries seem to be the most thorny area, and I often get stuck with a dualistic view on shared and private.

I grew up surrounded by “The Tragedy of Commons” in a full bloom (Soviet): it takes ages to recover and learn how to share.

… right…

Whoa, k. Here’s a new thought for me. So, you think it is culturally more difficult for Eastern Europeans to embrace a culture of sharing?

I wont speak for every Eastern European.

It is a subject to be researched.

We have some issues with the construction of boundaries and caring for commons.  In some domains we the great sharers (with reputation of pirates), in other domains we fail.

My ethnographic observations, with myself as a first guinea pig, indicate that we want to share because it is the way to survive, but traumatized by the ban on private property, we can be very destructive to the commonly own as well.

It is, indeed, a hell of a dilemma.

PS. The difference of sharing patterns depending on culture is enormous. It is something you can not only write a Phd, but squeeze the whole Department of its own.

mediatization: lets have a pyramid each?

Media space at the moment leaves no or little space for full spectators. Pyramids are overlapping.

But the generation of generators of content (pardon the tautology) needs editors.

Otherwise the information turns into data again and stop making sense.

Also reminds me of  ‘Representation: Cultural Representations and Signifying Practices’ by Stuart Hall. Book came out in 97, but still applies to current media spaces.

Howard Rheingold and personal learning networks

If that person knows you exist and knows about your interests, she can send you very relevant knowledge with a click; and that click saves you hours, if not days, of sifting through libraries.

Last year I took a multiple weeks online course taught by Howard Rheingold on the discipline of what he calls: infotention (information + attention).

Many topics were covered but the one that really convinced me to pay the fee was the week dedicated to what he defines personal learning networks: exactly what you're describing. 

I think Rheingold got a point right: he's not focusing on technology but on people. (at least this is the lesson I feel I learnt with him). He's not focusing on technical literacies as much as ...discipline and reading and working methods.

Today's online publishing and collaborating technologies (read: google docs, posterous, facebook etc) are ridiculously free and easy-to-use. 

I think the designer/developer communities should stop worrying about UI/UX finesses and start learning and teaching each other better information and attention habits and methods.
How can we help people to step the pyramid not with yet another platform but with simpler, healthier attention habits and methods?

I know it's a fuzzy field because there's no code involved at all. And it may even suspiciously look like self-help/self-organization fluff… but IMHO that's a territory worth exploring these days : )
At least something I need (and I bet many other do).

uh oh, I just realized I'm probably out of topic at this point! hope it's helpful for the discussion, anyway!

The internet is great…

The problem is real-life sharing.

This is still challenging and difficult.

Sharing something on a computer screen does not invade our intimacy, even if we share it with someone we dislike or barely know at all. Sharing a room might however endanger our personal space, if we didn’t choose to share it with a compatible person.

So is it easier to share in the virtual world only ?

It is a start!

Yes, Lucyanna, I think it is easier. However, the whole point of this story is that, once you get into a sharing mentality via (easy) online sharing, that makes it more natural to you share even in slightly harder contexts. To prove the point, my wife and I are now active in the Airbnb community, putting our guest room up for people to use when they pass through. It has been a nice experience so far: no problem at all, and we have spent some nice evenings chatting away with our guests.

Now we are taking it to the next level, and are seeking for housemates to share a home in Brussels. The whole idea is that we tried being a migrant nuclear family, just the two of us in our own apartment, and we don’t like it, we are too lonely (when we were in Italy we had access to a network of friends, but since we moved out we have been cut off from it). So we would like to explore a more sociable way of living.

So, you see, I guess sharing online can be like a gym, where your sharing muscles are trained for further challenges.

Housemates recruitment tips ?

This is extremely interesting and sounds great.

I would like to know : how are you going to recruit/select your future housemates ?

This is a difficult decision, because (as far as I understood) it’s about a long-term relationship.

So how are you going to choose ? Or, are you ready to share it with whomever, I mean you don’t have a special profile you are looking for ?

Do you plan to get to know the people before moving out or do you intend to first try live with those people and then see if it works ?

All these questions are not new for me, it’s just the first time I have an expert to ask about ! Thank you for teaching and sharing your experience.

Me? An expert?

Lucyanna, I am no expert in recruiting housemates! I shared many a flat when I was a student and a young adult, of course, but that is it.

I think I am going to go about this in three ways:

1. be a little pedantic about the rules of use of the common space (example: no dirty dishes left in the sink!)
  2. trust people! If somebody comes to us through all this narrative of sharing etc. etc. they will probably be serious about it. If there are problems, we will deal with them.
  3. reserve some private spaces too. For example, my wife and I would rent not one, but two rooms in a four-bedroom apartment. This means having one bedroom and some extra space, whoch can be used as an office, but also as a quiet corner for reading when we don't feel to be with anyone else.
Of course, it might turn out to be a complete disaster! We will see.

Thanks

Very interesting guidelines. Sounds like a good plan.

Well, congratulations and good luck !

If I searched for a housemate, I’d be tempted to publish a “prefered profile”, how would the ideal candidate look like. Do you think it’s right or wrong to do that ?