You woke up the bee in me :)
On with the brainstorming on local barter community development in Matera...
Starting from existing commnuities. Good point. This brings us to the second step: picking the existing community eager to experiment the Economy App. Not as simple as it seems, in the sense that commnuities are not clearly defined entities (the unemployed, the coworkers, the creative scene). I would bypass this question, keeping in mind that we are looking for people with a strong interest in bartering, ready to play the game: if this groups of people is also united around other common interests (agro markets, ecc.) it is better.
Integrating with a makerspace. "This should be a nice hangout place for the young unemployed". True. But I have my doubts on the actual feasability of this in a short time: the hacker culture is not exactly flooding the souls of Southern Italy, which still has pockets of conservateurism and resistance to change. Also, I wouldn't underestimate the effect of the initial scepticism, augmented because invitation to change comes from outsiders. Last but not least, I had understood that unemployed youngsters (let's keep in mind that in Italy we are young until 45 were the target: I am not sure that Casa Netural's community is made of unemployed people facing the impacts of the financial and economic crisis in the region.
This is a crucial question, and an important thing to understand: as all cities, Matera is stratified both spacially and socially. However, I find the ceisure quite abrupt as the people operating in the cultural and creative realm are located in the historical center and the Sassi, and do not seem to be communicating with the rest of the city : the neighbourhoods from the '50s and the ones developed in the '90s. These different souls are all representative of Matera, but I feel that if we want to go for real social innovation, we have to make radical choices and face the people in the neighbourhoods located in the outskirts of Matera (outskirts is meant also metaphorically).Go where bartering is necessary, although unknown and unimaginable.
3 & 4. Parties. Yes, especially with food But I am not sure that this is the core question right now
- What I find interesting here is the physical presence and the idea of having one in the Sassi and one in another neighbourhood. I suppose one could link the different spaces by assembling different communties, such as unMonastarians - Arduino Matera - group of unemployed. My doubts here are on the time-consuming activities of building the chain, setting up the places, spreading the word. Not impossible, but it takes time.
6, 7 & 8: starting points that convince me the most, although I was wondering on how much they could be assembled: what I mean is, if you go for the option 8, would it make sense to organize bi-weekly meetings?
So I've been going with this in my head since your first posts, and now even more since you posted this. Step two is I emptied my head and started to think in materano (as much as I can, as I am an outsider too :). I won't explain the whole process I went through, but I will go straight to the proposal on a possible way to start seeding the local barter community (in the already existing).
The premice is that I was thinking on getting to the unemployed. More on that when we meet at LOTE: you have to visualize what I am speaking about!
How to spread the word? 3 channels come to my mind:
- publish short announcement on local newspaper, on the page for "job opportunities"
- contact the local Centro per l'Impiego (public support to unemployed): I wouldn't put high hopes on this, but it's always good to explore the official route
- 12 minutes on the local regional TV (TRM): fundamental as it covers all the region and gets to a very diversified audience. On TRM I have a direct link.
This means that one should have promotion material in Italian: the best thing would be infographics as this would explain in a simple and visual way concepts that might sound a bit extravagant to people that have never ever heard of complementary currency and so on.
Basically, I would go for a very simple "month of barter" for 20 unemployed. If this is done in a certain way, I think it is going to attract quite a lot of attention as we are not speaking mt2019, culture, events, social innovation... but proposing a well defined project. How I see it, a lot of work will have to be done before the launch (finding a simple and reassuring way to explain a complex and seemingly distant notion as "digital bartering"), but once it is launched, during the month, one has to follow and observe (right?).
Another option is the Centro per l'Impiego: they probably have a database with all the people looking for jobs. This could be a good base to start community mapping. However I find it important that interest people contact the local community developers than vice versa.
Now, the questions:
- how much do you want to be linked to the local municipality + matera2019? This is a tricky question. How I see it, on one hand it can give visibility, on the other it can exclude you from a big piece of interest groups.
- is it realistic to imagine that for LOTE3 we have the basic material in italian (video? animation? infographics? short article)? If so, one could consider organizing a track on this specifically? And/or start exploring the different options to spread the word.
- the more I think about this, the more it interests me: some of the questions overlap with the ones I have been asking myself for the matchmaking, however this contains some challenges which I would be happy to explore with you: I am considering the option of being your local barter community developer... if you are okay with it :-)
- there will soon be a big need for communication skills, I think :)
There are still many things to say, and many questions, but I guess this is already enough for the morning! Do you think you could explain concretely how the Economy App would be launched ? Let's imagine one goes for the "barter month" option, with 20 unemployed. Which are the steps? What is needed as in skills and tools and material?